• Dec 9th, 2017 11:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 5, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes

Issue: Blocked from using E-Interac

Hi,
I'm Regina from Philippines and recently moved here in Edmonton with my family.
I am frustrated and sad now because I got account from TD Bank and my husband usually send money transfer to mw via e-interac. It is quite inpressive because I easily get money from him. I am a full time mom and I do my best to get a job for homebased. Nov.30, someone emailed me that they saw my resume in Indeed and they are interested with my resume for the position of Online Service Manager. I entertained them knowing that i can get a job from home. After many emails, they send me a contract and ask my email address and if i have a bank account. I said yes and gave it. They said i will received some e-transfer and need to cashout to fill the wallet of bitcoin that I will used for the future once I started working with customers. After 2 days of receiving etransfer, cashout and buy bitcoins using the qr code they sent to me, they've gone. They didn't response to my message because for my salary due they said that once i complete the task, i will get my salary. But i received none. December 5, I was about to send money to my husband and an error appeared stating that I should contact the financial institution. Upon calling TD, i fould out that my e-interac was blocked and i cannot send and received money from now. I try to explain to their Investigation department and they said that I am a fraud recepient. I was shocked andnafraid bwcausw i have no idea that this will happened to me. I want to defend myself but they said that i have nothing to do and they will call me once it is investigated. Please help me how to deal with it as i dont have any idea. I am afraid that i get connwcted with that illegal thing. Loudly Crying Face
21 replies
May 5, 2012
276 posts
75 upvotes
CALGARY
Sounds like those scam stories where they send you a cheque and you buy money grams to send to them... Only for the cheque to bounce after a few days and you have used up your own money or your account goes in the negative...

If you just want to send or receive free e-transfers you can open a free account at simplii.
Nov 23, 2004
716 posts
62 upvotes
Edmonton
[removed]

Scams are online and are easily preventable. When it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Dec 7th, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote and your response were removed
Previous wins:
-Fujifilm Finepix Z10FD 7.2mp (Green) 210$
-2x Xbox 360 (Oct 29 & Nov 1) 300$
-2x EA SPORTS
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
1066 posts
379 upvotes
GTA
"...recently moved here in Edmonton with my family..."

Lets take it easy on the victim. When someone moved to Canada, they could spend a lot if not all of their savings to settle down while they are hunting for work, its is very hard when you see maybe years of savings go through your day to day expenses as regular expenses cost more 'back home'.
All these things it can make them more vulnerable based on the a sense of desperation as they try to settle down.

I don't know the OP's situation but lets kick it down a notch and be a bit more helpful/sympathetic to the situation.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16385 posts
4997 upvotes
Ottawa
@coolintheshade
Censorship at it's best, as your post was deleted; but I didn't see anything offensive.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
2364 posts
1193 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:44 pm
@coolintheshade
Censorship at it's best, as your post was deleted; but I didn't see anything offensive.
Some people have a hard time with the truth, but that's ok Ok Hand Sign:)
[OP]
Dec 5, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
It so happened that I thought it is legit and what I want is just an online job. I know its my mistake to trust easily. He sent me several transfer and I cashout them to buy bitcoin. He said that I need to fill my bitcoin wallet to start working coz it will be the fund i will use to buy sql or some database for client's request. He provided a QR code for me to send all the bitcoins. He got nothing to me but blocked from interact due to fraud receipient.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17032 posts
1883 upvotes
GTA West
reginacabalar wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:24 pm
It so happened that I thought it is legit and what I want is just an online job. I know its my mistake to trust easily. He sent me several transfer and I cashout them to buy bitcoin. He said that I need to fill my bitcoin wallet to start working coz it will be the fund i will use to buy sql or some database for client's request. He provided a QR code for me to send all the bitcoins. He got nothing to me but blocked from interact due to fraud receipient.
He probably sent you money from stolen credit cards or other crime. You converted that money into Bitcoin, which can't be undone. So he may have been using yourself as an unwitting tool for criminal money laundering purposes. This person used your name to commit bank robbery.

It's a common scam these days and you might even be contacted by police. But don't worry, nothing will happen to you because you didn't know it was part of a crime, you're just another victim.

But if you have any other money in TD, you might want to withdraw it and save in another bank, in case your account gets temporarily frozen as part of the investigation.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4977 posts
2477 upvotes
Edmonton
If it seems like you're getting money for doing nothing, it's probably a scam. If it seems too good to be true, it's probably a scam. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

As the previous poster says, you may want to start an account at another bank, just to make sure you've got readily accessible funds. Other than that, there's not much you can do.

C
[OP]
Dec 5, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
thank you. I will do that. My card doesn't have much money coz i dont have work and my husband just give me some money for my expenses. Thank you
[OP]
Dec 5, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
from now on I will not entertain anyone who just sent email or job vacancy with no 100% background check. This will serve a lesson to me and hopefully to be aware of anyone of you. God bless us
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4405 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
reginacabalar wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 5:13 pm
thank you. I will do that. My card doesn't have much money coz i dont have work and my husband just give me some money for my expenses. Thank you
You should separate your money into different bank. In my case my payroll usually go to Tangerine, never link your primary bank accounts to someone you don't know. Once it got locked you will surely panicked.
Mar 10, 2009
193 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
starbelow wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:53 am
Sounds like those scam stories where they send you a cheque and you buy money grams to send to them... Only for the cheque to bounce after a few days and you have used up your own money or your account goes in the negative...

If you just want to send or receive free e-transfers you can open a free account at simplii.
What happened to the OP sucks if they were indeed a victim of crime. Hopefully when TD completes their investigation they realize the OP was a victim as well.

With that said once the OP is placed on Interac's blocklist as a recipient of fraud funds, it doesn't matter what bank she banks with, she will no longer be able to utilize the Interac E-Transfer service. The only way to be removed from the blocklist is if TD deems her a victim as well or if the sender of the EMT is no longer claiming the EMT as fraud.
[OP]
Dec 5, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
yah. i hope TD bank have a fair investigation. I talked to them why i can't send and receive money from interac and they just said that i am blocked. just simple as that. I am shocked and ask why and then they said that i received the money from a fraud email. Then I try to explain myself as i am speaking with the investigation department but they just insist that i have nothing to do. So sad. Still I am hoping thay they will see the other side of story. All i want is a job and i didn't expect that I will be a victim of that scam Loudly Crying FaceLoudly Crying FaceLoudly Crying Face
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16385 posts
4997 upvotes
Ottawa
How do you not suspect this was a scam of some sort, when someone is sending you tens of thousands of dollars or even hundreds?