Issue: Blocked from using E-Interac

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2018 1:40 pm
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
2048 posts
636 upvotes
Alberta
reginacabalar wrote: yah. i hope TD bank have a fair investigation. I talked to them why i can't send and receive money from interac and they just said that i am blocked. just simple as that. I am shocked and ask why and then they said that i received the money from a fraud email. Then I try to explain myself as i am speaking with the investigation department but they just insist that i have nothing to do. So sad. Still I am hoping thay they will see the other side of story. All i want is a job and i didn't expect that I will be a victim of that scam Loudly Crying FaceLoudly Crying FaceLoudly Crying Face
Cross the street and open an account in a different Bank, very simple.
Jan 12, 2010
818 posts
289 upvotes
Most likely, its actually not TD that blocked you, but rather, Certapay (Interac runs Certapay), is the company that blocked your email address that was registered with the email money transfer service, hence the reason why you can't send.
Jan 14, 2018
3 posts
Hello, please can you copy and paste the original email you received? whats the company name and what was thier contact method, I might be in the same situation
Jan 22, 2017
4 posts
reginacabalar wrote: Hi,
I'm Regina from Philippines and recently moved here in Edmonton with my family.
I am frustrated and sad now because I got account from TD Bank and my husband usually send money transfer to mw via e-interac. It is quite inpressive because I easily get money from him. I am a full time mom and I do my best to get a job for homebased. Nov.30, someone emailed me that they saw my resume in Indeed and they are interested with my resume for the position of Online Service Manager. I entertained them knowing that i can get a job from home. After many emails, they send me a contract and ask my email address and if i have a bank account. I said yes and gave it. They said i will received some e-transfer and need to cashout to fill the wallet of bitcoin that I will used for the future once I started working with customers. After 2 days of receiving etransfer, cashout and buy bitcoins using the qr code they sent to me, they've gone. They didn't response to my message because for my salary due they said that once i complete the task, i will get my salary. But i received none. December 5, I was about to send money to my husband and an error appeared stating that I should contact the financial institution. Upon calling TD, i fould out that my e-interac was blocked and i cannot send and received money from now. I try to explain to their Investigation department and they said that I am a fraud recepient. I was shocked andnafraid bwcausw i have no idea that this will happened to me. I want to defend myself but they said that i have nothing to do and they will call me once it is investigated. Please help me how to deal with it as i dont have any idea. I am afraid that i get connwcted with that illegal thing. Loudly Crying Face
Hi Regina, welcome to Canada! I’m sorry something like this happened to you. I used to work for TD. So you have been blocked from interac e-transfer by Certapay not TD. So even if you open another account with a different bank and try to do e-transfer it will not work. From my experience the block is usually for 1 year. After that you should be able to use the service. Your actual accounts are not compromised unless you’ve given them ur account numbers. The banks get a lot of ppl with job scams, and they know you are a victim. Just make sure from now on you be careful with info you provide online.
Dec 5, 2017
8 posts
3 upvotes
hello.. thank u for welcoming me here. yes. from now on, i will be careful and will not trust anybody easily. I keep your notes. god bless you
Jan 4, 2017
366 posts
277 upvotes
Hi Regina,

Welcome to Canada! Sorry to hear you fell victim to that, it sounds very similar to other common scams. I'm sure you're already seeing how things are very different here compared to the Philippines, and much more expensive! But the upside to that is there is a lot more regulation and consumer protection. While there's definitely some cash jobs here, overall we are much less of a cash-based society than what you're used to. So that might be part of why the scam didn't really stand out to you.

From my experience, TD is very friendly with newcomers to Canada. In fact, my girlfriend is from the Philippines too and while she was visiting here last summer she even opened a bank and credit card account with TD, they had no problem doing this even though she is not even a Canadian citizen. I think the worst case scenario for you is you may need to create a new email address if you wish to use Interac e-transfer again in the near future. But please beware, as most legitimate employers here are not paying their employees via Interac e-transfer. Almost everyone gets paid by direct deposit straight into your bank account. e-transfer tends to be for more informal or personal uses, although some websites do accept e-transfer as payment when shopping online.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2723 posts
2772 upvotes
Toronto
in April 2014 I sold something to someone online for ~ $700 via eTransfer. At the time I was banking with TD.

A month later I login to my bank account and see that the $700 was reversed and sent back to the sender.

I called TD and they told me that the payment was paid from a "stolen" bank account and that Interac reversed it, and I was also banned from the Interac network. I could not send payments from Interac. I was surprised because I thought Interac payments were non-reversible.

I complained about how I was never notified of this, provided proof of the sale, and they said they could not do anything over the phone and that I'd have to go speak to my branch manager.

So I did, and it didn't go anywhere, what's worse is they treated me like I was the criminal lol.

Branch manager didn't give a ****, and told me he was doing me a favor by not closing my TD accounts. Despite me being the victim here....

I told him I wanted to file a police report since $700 was a lot of money to me back then....but I could not file a police report without having the other parties information (Name/Address etc). The bank manager refused to give any of that to me....

I was in high school at the time so I couldn't do much either.

Cut all ties with TD since then, it's funny how they get rated #1 for customer service every year. I even tried reaching out to the ombudsman back then but still no luck.

Tip: If you are banned from Interac just open a bank account at another bank and your Interac will start working again. Just will never work with the bank that you got banned from.
May 8, 2018
1 posts
Thana1995 wrote: Hi Regina, welcome to Canada! I’m sorry something like this happened to you. I used to work for TD. So you have been blocked from interac e-transfer by Certapay not TD. So even if you open another account with a different bank and try to do e-transfer it will not work. From my experience the block is usually for 1 year. After that you should be able to use the service. Your actual accounts are not compromised unless you’ve given them ur account numbers. The banks get a lot of ppl with job scams, and they know you are a victim. Just make sure from now on you be careful with info you provide online.
Hello there, I just experienced the same thing. The person I called today on the hotline was nice enough to explain to me the situation I've put myself it. What gives me anxiety is, will getting blocked by interact and being a victim of this situation will go up to worse case scenario having police be invloved? i am sorry but its giving me anxieties.
Aug 8, 2018
1 posts
Oh My God!! This happened to me just now! I am also a Filipino and kind of desperate of getting a job. That’s why when Jessica Perez offered me a job like yours the “Online Service Manager”, I took it. I did some research about the company and her and I did not find any bad reviews about it until now as I researched why am i being blocked by TD. I was really thinking twice if I will accept the job or not but since I have nothing to do, I tried to accept the offer. Is there any update on this? Did your account in TD got frozen? Please contact me.
Aug 25, 2018
1 posts
Hello friend, I am in the exact same situation as you. I became a victim of the same scam and I am looked at by the bank as if I am the criminal. This is so unfortunate. How is it fair that we are having to pay the money that scammers took? When bank doesn't have any way to find out if the etransfer is fraud or not, why are they after us for the money? Why is it no the bank that deals with this scam and us?

I am so shattered after this has happened. I am not stupid but they made it all so real that I became victim of this scam. Its a lesson for life but the hurtful part is they took all my savings as a payment for this lesson.

Its so bad that bank just backed off and is going after me for that money that scammers took. Didn't expect this from Canada...
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4104 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
victimofscam18 wrote: Hello friend, I am in the exact same situation as you. I became a victim of the same scam and I am looked at by the bank as if I am the criminal. This is so unfortunate. How is it fair that we are having to pay the money that scammers took? When bank doesn't have any way to find out if the etransfer is fraud or not, why are they after us for the money? Why is it no the bank that deals with this scam and us?

I am so shattered after this has happened. I am not stupid but they made it all so real that I became victim of this scam. Its a lesson for life but the hurtful part is they took all my savings as a payment for this lesson.

Its so bad that bank just backed off and is going after me for that money that scammers took. Didn't expect this from Canada...
What does this have to do with Canada?

The scammers are usually not Canadian.
They prey on people that are looking for quick money.
The bank isn't responsible for people looking to make quick money from foreign scammers.

It's a tough lesson, but I see lots of scams like this, and they happen every day. If banks were to start covering for people making dumb decisions then what stops people from throwing caution into the wind and signing up for these scams? What stops law abiding people in saying 'screw it' we can 'scam' the bank and get away with it, and the only victim is the bank?

It's not different than the CRA scammers. Are convenient stores, grocery stores, etc., suppose to refund every victim for buying a couple hundred dollars of iTunes cards? At this point, you can't buy large sums of iTunes cards as one store, but that doesn't stop you from shopping at several stores.

Sucks all around. But don't e-transfer unless you know who that person is. Don't cash cheques and then e-transfer out until the funds are absolutely, 100% cleared.

And really, there is no way the bank knows 100% that you're not a criminal, any more then they know 100% that you're the victim.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
@jeff1970
Don't be so quick to judge. If you go to some other place where you're a foreigner, don't speak the language, don't know the culture, you are an easy target.
Those scams in other countries that traveling Westerners might fall for would make the locals laugh,
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2014
1505 posts
564 upvotes
YVR, BC
open a new free account at Tangerine or Simplii
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11668 posts
14021 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
Poutinesauce wrote: Any time there is an online job for anything when you never meet the person, you WILL get screwed over in some fashion and it should be avoided completely.
+1
Common sense right?
Unfortunately there’s little common sense these days.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
9005 posts
5728 upvotes
604nation wrote: open a new free account at Tangerine or Simplii
You can open as many accounts as you want. At the end of the day, if their ID is blocked with Interac, they still won't be able to use EMT service.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4104 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
Jucius Maximus wrote: @jeff1970
Don't be so quick to judge. If you go to some other place where you're a foreigner, don't speak the language, don't know the culture, you are an easy target.
Those scams in other countries that traveling Westerners might fall for would make the locals laugh,
A lot of people being scammed are Canadians, they're not foreign. Some are foreign, but I think the majority are not. Every time one of the scams happens and it's in the local news, it hasn't been a foreign person being scammed, but a Canadian born person, being promised large sums of cash, but must deposit a cheque larger than what they are owed, and must e-transfer or Western Union the balance to the scammers upon cashing the cheque. I stand by my statement that it is people making dumb decisions and looking for quick cash and go crying after they're screwed over.

Please re-read my first reply; I didn't say it was foreign people being scammed. It did, however, say that the scammers are usually not Canadian. But it's good to know that if I go to these foreign lands they're still up to scamming unknowledgeable visitors.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
jeff1970 wrote: A lot of people being scammed are Canadians, they're not foreign. Some are foreign, but I think the majority are not. Every time one of the scams happens and it's in the local news, it hasn't been a foreign person being scammed, but a Canadian born person, being promised large sums of cash, but must deposit a cheque larger than what they are owed, and must e-transfer or Western Union the balance to the scammers upon cashing the cheque. I stand by my statement that it is people making dumb decisions and looking for quick cash and go crying after they're screwed over.

Please re-read my first reply; I didn't say it was foreign people being scammed. It did, however, say that the scammers are usually not Canadian. But it's good to know that if I go to these foreign lands they're still up to scamming unknowledgeable visitors.
This thread was started by a Filipino recent immigrant and then bumped again by another Filipino.
Maybe that's not what you were talking about. But my post is in line with what happened in the thread.
- casual gastronomist -

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)