• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2008 10:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 16, 2008
1 posts

Issue with CTY Computers in Richmond Hill

One weekend I went looking for a 1gb stick of kingston value ram (41$) at CTY computers in Richmond Hill. They didn't have any in stock so the guy sold me an equivalent kingbox 1gb stick for the same price even though it was priced at about 55$. I took the ram and tried it out - it was fine.

I went back a few weeks later looking for a 2nd stick of kingbox ram (i wanted a pair). This time CTY did not have any kingbox ram in stock. I explained to the guy that i wanted another stick and I wanted to buy it at the same price as last time. He said it would be fine and that he would put in the order for the memory and that I could call in fist to check stock then drop by to pick it up.

So i called in during the week and they had 1 unit in stock. I dropped by but a different guy was working and refused to sell me the ram at the price i previously paid. I told him that I tried to buy kingston value ram the first time but since CTY didnt have any in-stock I was sold the kingbox ram at the kingston price. I even showed him my oringial invoice for the first stick of kingbox ram i bought. He said something about ram prices change blah blah. Problem with that stupid argument is the first guy who sold me the original stick of ram actually dropped the price for me (it wasn't on sale) - so clearly there is room to change the price at will.

In any case, I won't ever shop at CTY computers in richmond hill or toronto for that matter. They don't know the first thing about customer service, so i'll take my money elsewhere. Too bad for them.
5 replies
Aug 4, 2004
719 posts
23 upvotes
wow.. you do know computer part prices change everyday right? If they give you the discount, they are doing you a huge favour. If they are not, I really don't think they are wrong.

If this is the experience you would call bad, try going to any place else in GTA. I doubt you can find any that are close to CTY service..

Better yet, try going to canada computers and see if they will even do that for you.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42660 posts
3229 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Nonopeno wrote:
May 17th, 2008 1:23 pm
wow.. you do know computer part prices change everyday right? If they give you the discount, they are doing you a huge favour. If they are not, I really don't think they are wrong.

If this is the experience you would call bad, try going to any place else in GTA. I doubt you can find any that are close to CTY service..

Better yet, try going to canada computers and see if they will even do that for you.
+1

OP doesn't know how it's like in the "real" world. Plus, talking to a different employee can't guarantee you anything. How does he know you're not lying? He might also be a part time and doesn't want to risk losing his job by giving you the discount. If you want the discount, at least wait until the previous guy you talked to is on shift again.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2006
5140 posts
12 upvotes
Midland
CTY did the right thing dropping the price on another Ram stick b/c your was out of stock ... if that was CC it would take them 30 mins to find and figure out its out of stock and then send you on your way with no Ram... CTY is pretty good and I think they are in the right on this one.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
208 upvotes
Surrey
cdude wrote:
May 17th, 2008 8:08 am
One weekend I went looking for a 1gb stick of kingston value ram (41$) at CTY computers in Richmond Hill. They didn't have any in stock so the guy sold me an equivalent kingbox 1gb stick for the same price even though it was priced at about 55$. I took the ram and tried it out - it was fine.
They were under no obligation to substitute, but the fact they did so demonstrated good customer service.
I went back a few weeks later looking for a 2nd stick of kingbox ram (i wanted a pair). This time CTY did not have any kingbox ram in stock. I explained to the guy that i wanted another stick and I wanted to buy it at the same price as last time. He said it would be fine and that he would put in the order for the memory and that I could call in fist to check stock then drop by to pick it up.
Once again, no obligation and good customer service.
So i called in during the week and they had 1 unit in stock. I dropped by but a different guy was working and refused to sell me the ram at the price i previously paid.
Fair enough. Their policy may have changed, the previous employee may have been wrong, their prices may have gone up. Either way, they were and are under no obligation to sell you the product at a reduced price. Your demanding they do the special pricing again - when they were doing you a favour last time - is completely unwarranted and unreasonable.

If you want a pair of the same RAM, pay regular price for the second module. You're still getting a discount over the two modules.
In any case, I won't ever shop at CTY computers in richmond hill or toronto for that matter. They don't know the first thing about customer service, so i'll take my money elsewhere. Too bad for them.
Actually, it's you that don't know the first thing about customer service, especially if you're so ungrateful at the stellar service they provided you earlier. As for you taking your money elsewhere...if they can sell the Kingbox RAM at regular price, they're already making more money than they would if you were their customer, so I'm sure it's no loss to them.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
cty is definitely one of the better stores to shop at for computer stuff..i tell all my friends and co-workers to go there and will continue to