Shopping Discussion

Issue with DealExtreme. Paypal dispute is useless.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2009 12:28 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 5, 2008
678 posts
86 upvotes

Issue with DealExtreme. Paypal dispute is useless.

This is a small item purchase, but Im slightly annoyed at how it went. Basically I bought a wifi dongle from DealExtreme. The dongle arrives, works for 15mins, then fails. I notice that the dongle feels hot to the touch and now it's broken.

Ok, fine. I contact DealExtreme's customer service and after going through a few canned responses (I swear, they aren't even reading what I am typing) I am informed that I can ship the item back but I should first provide a cost estimate of the shipping because DealExtreme's policy is that they will reimburse all of the return shipping cost for defective items. Then I am informed that I shouldnt ship the item back and to just keep it and get $8 store credit because the estimated $15 to ship is more than they are willing to reimburse. I try to talk to customer service some more, but now, the responses are taking forever, Im going around in circles, and it's getting close to the deadline of which I can no longer file a dispute through PayPal.

So I open a dispute on PayPal, because quite frankly, communication with DealExtreme is going no where. Now here's the interesting part. PayPal automatically closes the case because their policy with these non-eBay deals is only that the item is shipped, but does not cover what happens if the item received is defective or in bad condition. So wtf!???

Like I said, it's a small item and I guess I dont mind taking a loss ($25). Or if it's not too much of a hassle, I could file a credit card chargeback, but I suspect that due to PayPal's ****** policies, they will probably put a negative balance on my account which I will eventually have to repay because I use eBay alot.

Just my rant here. Comments, suggestions?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2521 posts
85 upvotes
you use CC for you paypal payment ?

do a CC charge back
[OP]
Apr 5, 2008
678 posts
86 upvotes
nobb wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 11:07 pm
I could file a credit card chargeback, but I suspect that due to PayPal's ****** policies, they will probably put a negative balance on my account which I will eventually have to repay because I use eBay alot.
^^
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19186 posts
4263 upvotes
Thornhill
I bought a lighter from DX a few months back, when I got it, it didn't work and the internals(it held cigarettes inside) had a broken 'plate', so I contacted DX. Generic response, was gonna issue a credit for $8 of the $15 item. I told them I paid for something that doesn't work, took a picture and said I'll do a chargeback if nothing is done about it, and I can ship it back(would be like $3-$4), and they sent me a new one which works this time. I wasn't asked to send the broken one back, so I threw it away.
Nov 12, 2008
195 posts
Deal Extreme did a 'dirty' transaction with me in pretty much the same way. I never received an item I bought. When I emailed them about about it, they answered with stalling tactics and nonsense so I then filed a claim with PayPal, and was informed that they couldn't do anything for me. It was all unsatisfactory, and I lost my payment. My credit card (Canadian Tire) wouldn't allow a charge back either.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles with Deal Extreme....I don't think it will end favorably for you....but good luck.

:mad: Avoid Deal Extreme people!.... :mad:
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16432 posts
8763 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I purchased an adapter from DX a while back. They sent me the wrong adapter. The SKU on the sticker was different from the SKU I'd ordered. So I e-mailed them about what to do. They said they'd ship the correct adapter. And they did. That was a rather pleasant experience (apart from having to wait another 2 weeks to get the correct item.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19036 posts
1494 upvotes
I buy things from DX all the time. Never had an issue.

I have probably spent $200+ with them - and that is a lot of stuff at DX prices!
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3353 posts
66 upvotes
Wow! I haven't shopped there in months, yeah sure they're slow. But I usually get what I want especially when you start complaining on their forms.

Try to ask for the Tiffany, CS-Manager, she usually get stuff done and right.

Just be polite about it, English is not their first language.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2004
2173 posts
Calgary
brunes wrote:
Nov 11th, 2009 9:12 am

I have probably spent $200+ with them - and that is a lot of stuff at DX prices!
Me too burnes. I must have spent close to $150 by now as well and have yet to have an issue.
Buy With Confidence - Heatware 88-0-0
Then, once the Maclovers feel safe and come out of hiding, we strike. Take their Macs, throw them into a huge pile, and burn them. Burn them into ash. Then put an Apple logo on that ash, and sell it back to them for $400 an ounce.

We'll be filthy rich.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2008
678 posts
86 upvotes
Well my main issue here is how PayPal has handled the situation (automatically). Does this mean if I were to ever buy something from another user on a forum and they send me a rock or broken item, then when I file a PayPal dispute then the case will automatically be closed because technically the item shipped out. Even if it was broken or misinterpreted.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2006
2136 posts
405 upvotes
haven't used dx myself yet, but friends who had used it have recommended to buy things from them

i think the issue here is paypal and their policies more than anything...

buy the item again, pay with CC instead of PP, return original damaged item or file chargeback directly with CC and avoid the hassle of using PP
For sale threads:
GCs / Coins
Cloth / Phones/
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9663 posts
1869 upvotes
Toronto
Paypal blows! they're not gonna help you.

Try to work it out with DX is my suggestion... it might take a while but I think they'll eventually solve it.

Post a review for that product on their website and they'll respond to it quickly as they don't want ppl posting negative reviews on their site.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42410 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
brunes wrote:
Nov 11th, 2009 9:12 am

Ha! I spent about $10K there. Great guys, everytime something shipped that was defective, they just sent me a new one. Depends which rep you talk to, I guess.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Apr 16, 2007
50 posts
Kingsvile, Ontario
Pay Pal never sides with the person who gets ripped off.

Twice now Pay Pal has shafted me, first by a fraudulent customer, then by a fraudulent graphic web designer who never gave us the work we paid for.

I hate Pay Pal & I only use it when I have no other choice.

I started using Alert Pay http://www.alertpay.com/?1654 over a year ago & while their fees aren't exactly like Pay Pal's, they at least listen to you when you complain & they are also Canadian (from Montreal).

Good luck with that company, never heard of it, but I won't shop there now even if you pay me :)

Michelle
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6225 posts
883 upvotes
We all know that Dealsextreme sells essentially very cheap poorly made stuff. They ship things poorly packaged and as cheaply as possible because of the free shipping. You're going to have problems with stuff not working, you're going to have problems with stuff getting damaged in transit or getting lost in transit. You may have trouble communicating with them because English isn't their first language and their margins are razor thin so there's not a lot of customer service people to deal with your problems. That's the reality. Most of the time you will probably be very satisfied with the transaction but not always. Sometimes you may run into a lot of problems. If you don't feel comfortable with this then don't buy from them. Go buy your stuff from Wal Mart or Future Shop or whatever, and pay accordingly.