Scammers and Warnings

Issue with RFDer - what do I do in this situation?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 6:44 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
3677 posts
282 upvotes
Markham

Issue with RFDer - what do I do in this situation?

So I bought an iPhone 6 Plus off someone off RFD in November. They had good feedback, so we meet at a gas station close to me. They had really good feedback so we meet up, he seems very nice, and I was in a rush so I didn’t test the phone since I don’t usually when it’s off RFD since people on here are usually honest and willing to accept any issues. Anyways I buy the phone in November, and I didn’t need to use it so it just sits on my desk. Three weeks later I take the phone out to use and the touch screen doesn’t work. The touch screen doesn’t respond at all. I contact the seller and simply ask him what’s going on, not even for a refund or anything. And he reads my messages but doesn’t reply.

I also gave him positive feedback when I first bought the phone because I trusted him and he gave me feedback. Now I keep messaging him just asking him to clarify how this could happen and he’s not responding. I understand it’s been three weeks since, but at the end of the day the phone doesn’t work right? I’ve never had an issue with RFD before and have a lot of positive feedback. I’m an honest buyer and seller and I can’t believe he won’t even reply. What do I do?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9336 posts
3730 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing really you can do, you finished the transaction by giving him the money..done deal. He could come back and say, hey! Anything could've happened between those 3 weeks of you owning the phone.

You can't TRUST people just like that, don't judge a book by its cover. Lesson learned, life goes on.
IGetMoney wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 3:07 am
So I bought an iPhone 6 Plus off someone off RFD in November. They had good feedback, so we meet at a gas station close to me. They had really good feedback so we meet up, he seems very nice, and I was in a rush so I didn’t test the phone since I don’t usually when it’s off RFD since people on here are usually honest and willing to accept any issues. Anyways I buy the phone in November, and I didn’t need to use it so it just sits on my desk. Three weeks later I take the phone out to use and the touch screen doesn’t work. The touch screen doesn’t respond at all. I contact the seller and simply ask him what’s going on, not even for a refund or anything. And he reads my messages but doesn’t reply.

I also gave him positive feedback when I first bought the phone because I trusted him and he gave me feedback. Now I keep messaging him just asking him to clarify how this could happen and he’s not responding. I understand it’s been three weeks since, but at the end of the day the phone doesn’t work right? I’ve never had an issue with RFD before and have a lot of positive feedback. I’m an honest buyer and seller and I can’t believe he won’t even reply. What do I do?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2583 posts
313 upvotes
your **** up x3

1. not testing it at point of transaction
2. leaving positive feedback without testing thoroughly
3. waiting 3 weeks to test it. if the seller was honest, how would they believe you didnt **** it up yourself
Feb 13, 2015
733 posts
354 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
What if the phone was working when he sold it to you, and in the 3 week frame it stopped working? There is absolutely nothing you can do . You should of tested it prior to purchase, you messed up in many ways. Move on and accept the loss or try to get screen repaired. Or sell for parts.
😎Thanks RFD😎
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
3677 posts
282 upvotes
Markham
Yeah I get that. My issue is that he’s not even replying, if he were honest wouldn’t he at least reply? I’m not asking for my money back.
blackbirdman wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 9:14 pm
What if the phone was working when he sold it to you, and in the 3 week frame it stopped working? There is absolutely nothing you can do . You should of tested it prior to purchase, you messed up in many ways. Move on and accept the loss or try to get screen repaired. Or sell for parts.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13759 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
Take it to apple and see if they can do anything about it since it may be suffering from the infamous "touch disease" issue.

If the seller hasn't responded by now, he or she probably won't so I would pursue repair options.
Jul 31, 2017
938 posts
241 upvotes
blackbirdman wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 9:14 pm
Indeed, always try before you buy. And, don't put blind faith/trust in anybody, especially some anonymous seller on some random website, just because you use it.
Feb 13, 2015
733 posts
354 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
OP is he is not answer, then most likely he is a scammer, in this case, I would keep nagging him until he replies to see what his deal is.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
4812 posts
231 upvotes
IGetMoney wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2017 2:56 pm
Yeah I get that. My issue is that he’s not even replying, if he were honest wouldn’t he at least reply? I’m not asking for my money back.
No offense OP, but as you have admitted guilt (not testing, leaving feedback without testing, testing 3 weeks later), what is it that you expect the seller to respond to (if not for your money back)?

There have been various examples of RFD Community members with +++ feedback going rogue, always test/verify/validate before you buy. We can't assume the seller had bad intentions as the item was never tested. Sorry for your loss, you'll just need to move on.
C:\RFD>ih8lowballers.bat_
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9336 posts
3730 upvotes
Toronto
Once you hand over the cash, it's a done deal!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Dec 12, 2017
96 posts
36 upvotes
OP have you tried a hard reset? But honestly, no matter who it is, first rule of thumb always test the item before giving your money to them. Expensive lesson learned the hard way, but at least for the next purchase you'd be more wise.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
3677 posts
282 upvotes
Markham
His username is fatcrazycat - he has 52 feedback and seemed like an honest and nice person. And I thought since it’s RFD there was a sense of trust which is why I didn’t test it. Obviously my mistake to not even trust good feedback RFDers. I should’ve tried it as soon as I got home too.
flyingnurse wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 11:44 am
Name and shame!!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
2899 posts
621 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
IGetMoney wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2017 2:56 pm
He doesn’t have to. For all we know, you could have messed up the phone and wanted to get your money back.

Most important thing is you did not test the phone right at the spot. It is your fault and really naive.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac