Tags:
[OP]
Jan 31, 2007
654 posts
341 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Issue with Uber predetermined fare

I been a long time Uber user.
It was all good, until they change to predetermined fare.

Before they do predetermined fare, I got charge by the actual route (distance + Time) I took.
There is a place I go very often, and I know it is always between $14 to $16 in the morning.

Now, Uber have some fare increase and using predetermined fare. My same trip now cost me $23-$25.

See the map. Red line is what Uber GPS use to calculate my fare, which include 407 charge, plus is much longer route.
The Blue line is best route, which is just go south on Bayview and turn left into John.
If take Uber GPS route, it will take me much longer to arrive, so I usually just tell the drive to take Bayview and go south.
But I still get charge for the predetermined fare.

I sent many emails to Uber and they said nothing they can do, as this should be the best route.

last week, for whatever reason, the app didn't give me predetermined fare, and it charge me by the actual route I took, and it is $17.

Anyone have similar issue that got jack up the price because of stupid GPS?
39 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
2964 posts
599 upvotes
Being a rfder, I would take the bus. Just $4!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28456 posts
4420 upvotes
Ottawa
may be a function of the GPS? My GPS asks if I want the fastest to shortest route. They are not the same. The fastest, in your case may be that you are on a highway going non stop as opposed to a street which has lots of traffic and traffic lights?
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8339 posts
1811 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Just an assumption, but maybe Uber now gets kickbacks from 407. Just like Google maps suggests 407 anytime they can, even if it makes route longer.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2166 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga
Andro wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:42 am
Just an assumption, but maybe Uber now gets kickbacks from 407. Just like Google maps suggests 407 anytime they can, even if it makes route longer.
You can choose not to use toll routes
Oh sada kehra bapu karda black nee, Jehra tere shahir (Toronto), Le lawan flat nee
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8339 posts
1811 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
MehtabS wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:45 am
You can choose not to use toll routes
I know that.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16387 posts
4997 upvotes
Ottawa
How about skipping uber altogether and make arrangements with the same driver that takes you to your regular destination?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36814 posts
2606 upvotes
Toronto
What i do is take uber. Then i ask the driver for his cell number. I ask if they would do cash under the table driving if i call.
They always agree and drive me places cheap. $10 to go downtown. $20 to the suburbs. One guy was so happy he brought me curry his wife made (delicious by the way).
I got about 10 guys on my payroll.

These guys just trying to eat. I rather them take my money than have a faceless corp (with a not so faceless douchebag ceo) take a cut of a guy trying to make a shitty but honest living.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8339 posts
1811 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 12:03 pm
What i do is take uber. Then i ask the driver for his cell number. I ask if they would do cash under the table driving if i call.
They always agree and drive me places cheap. $10 to go downtown. $20 to the suburbs. One guy was so happy he brought me curry his wife made (delicious by the way).

These guys just trying to eat. I rather them take my money than have a faceless corp (with a not so faceless douchebag ceo) take a cut of a guy trying to make a shitty but honest living.
I agree with you on most points. Just keep in mind that the faceless ceo is the one who gave these guys a job in the first place, doubtful they'd be able to arrange themselves same way on their own.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28456 posts
4420 upvotes
Ottawa
Andro wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:42 am
As I said, on a GPS you choose, fastest, shortest and if you want toll or not. The options are yours. Uber seems to have figured out which will make them the most money.
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28456 posts
4420 upvotes
Ottawa
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 12:03 pm

So Uber drivers are as much bandits as cab drivers we like to hate :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8339 posts
1811 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:31 pm
As I said, on a GPS you choose, fastest, shortest and if you want toll or not. The options are yours. Uber seems to have figured out which will make them the most money.
Yes, by (allegedly) pairing their business model with 407. Coincidentally op's suggested route is less km and quicker with no 407, Uber route is 407 with more km and time.
Last edited by Andro on Aug 12th, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28456 posts
4420 upvotes
Ottawa
Andro wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:09 pm
I agree with you on most points. Just keep in mind that the faceless ceo is the one who gave these guys a job in the first place, doubtful they'd be able to arrange themselves same way on their own.
Uber a job? Or was it an alternative to cabs...I don't think it was considered a "job" just a way of making a few extra part time bucks (and wearing out your car).
Jul 5, 2011
989 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Andro wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:09 pm
I meet so many individuals who are getting themselves into deep financial trouble while trying to piece together employment driving for Uber.... People who lease or finance a car under false pretenses (lenders will not go beyond 48 months with 25% cash down for Taxi or Uber which most people can't afford), then either end up so insanely upside down, or over mileage, or have an accident without proper coverage.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8339 posts
1811 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:35 pm
Uber a job? Or was it an alternative to cabs...I don't think it was considered a "job" just a way of making a few extra part time bucks (and wearing out your car).
Whether you make $1 or 100k it is still is a job, part or full time.
xjesterxx wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:35 pm
I meet so many individuals who are getting themselves into deep financial trouble while trying to piece together employment driving for Uber.... People who lease or finance a car under false pretenses (lenders will not go beyond 48 months with 25% cash down for Taxi or Uber which most people can't afford), then either end up so insanely upside down, or over mileage, or have an accident without proper coverage.
Don't think I ever mentioned that this was a good opportunity for people. I simply pointed out that the ceo is the one who provided it. Moreover, some people now have their own clients due to that initial opportunity.