Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2020 posts
979 upvotes
Oakville, ON
cheapshopper wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 12:47 am
I been a long time Uber user.
It was all good, until they change to predetermined fare.

Before they do predetermined fare, I got charge by the actual route (distance + Time) I took.
There is a place I go very often, and I know it is always between $14 to $16 in the morning.

Now, Uber have some fare increase and using predetermined fare. My same trip now cost me $23-$25.

See the map. Red line is what Uber GPS use to calculate my fare, which include 407 charge, plus is much longer route.
The Blue line is best route, which is just go south on Bayview and turn left into John.
If take Uber GPS route, it will take me much longer to arrive, so I usually just tell the drive to take Bayview and go south.
But I still get charge for the predetermined fare.

I sent many emails to Uber and they said nothing they can do, as this should be the best route.

last week, for whatever reason, the app didn't give me predetermined fare, and it charge me by the actual route I took, and it is $17.

Anyone have similar issue that got jack up the price because of stupid GPS?
Maybe re-routed due to traffic issues on Bayview?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28447 posts
4414 upvotes
Ottawa
Andro wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:39 pm
Whether you make $1 or 100k it is still is a job, part or full time.

You are right by definition. I just don't think it was ever meant to be a full time, wage earning, living wage "job". I think it was meant to be an alternative to cabs, part time for the individual.
Of course, that is changing now so it probably is a "job" for some folks now.
Oh and thanks for the down vote? A discussion is not good enough I guess?
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2788 posts
302 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 3:19 pm
You are right by definition. I just don't think it was ever meant to be a full time, wage earning, living wage "job". I think it was meant to be an alternative to cabs, part time for the individual.
Yup, it was never really meant to be a full-time job. It was meant to be a part-time casual thing that people could do to earn money (it can be hard to fit most "real" part time jobs into a full time work schedule, especially if your full time schedule isn't fixed).

Leasing a car for uber doesn't really make sense. It's only worth driving with them if you already have a car that is fuel-efficient.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8337 posts
1811 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote:
:facepalm:
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28447 posts
4414 upvotes
Ottawa
Andro wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 3:34 pm
:facepalm:
Thanks again Andro...caught an didn't like it and now another one. Vindictive little person eh? :)
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8337 posts
1811 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 3:36 pm
Thanks again Andro...caught an didn't like it and now another one. Vindictive little person eh? :)
Keep focused on the thread, as opposed to trying to pick a fight with other members.
Last edited by Andro on Aug 12th, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2007
650 posts
341 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MehtabS wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:45 am
You can choose not to use toll routes
Really? 8 don't see it on the Uber app.
It doesn't matter did I use toll, the Uber app charge me baSe on route us8ng toll road, and 8t is actually a longer route.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28447 posts
4414 upvotes
Ottawa
Andro wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 3:52 pm
Keep focused on the thread, as opposed to trying to pick a fight with other members.
Great edit Dude :) The notification I got showed you saying "Other than being a master of assumptions and derailing threads, do you
possess any other talents?".
Not picking a fight, just stating facts :)
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Aug 12th, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2007
650 posts
341 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:31 pm
As I said, on a GPS you choose, fastest, shortest and if you want toll or not. The options are yours. Uber seems to have figured out which will make them the most money.
I looked all over the Uber app and it doesn't haVe that option.
Can you teach me? Please.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28447 posts
4414 upvotes
Ottawa
cheapshopper wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 3:58 pm
I looked all over the Uber app and it doesn't haVe that option.
Can you teach me? Please.
Never said on an Uber app. I am pretty sure you have no control over where the driver takes you as long as you get to the destination. I was speaking, that the Uber drivers GPS may be programmed for certain routes.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2007
650 posts
341 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 4:00 pm
Never said on an Uber app. I am pretty sure you have no control over where the driver takes you as long as you get to the destination. I was speaking, that the Uber drivers GPS may be programmed for certain routes.
Ok, I always tell the Driver which way to take, but even I took the BLue route I draw, I still get charge for the Red route becasue that's the Uber app use to calculate the fare even before the trip start.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28447 posts
4414 upvotes
Ottawa
cheapshopper wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 4:02 pm
Ok, I always tell the Driver which way to take, but even I took the BLue route I draw, I still get charge for the Red route becasue that's the Uber app use to calculate the fare even before the trip start.
OK, you win. This was a discussion until you didn't like it anymore. Sorry.
Apr 20, 2002
23 posts
2 upvotes
I have the same problem as you OP. They always factor in 407 even if the driver doesn't ultimately take it.

They should have an "avoid toll" option in the app.
Jul 5, 2011
988 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 3:28 pm
Yup, it was never really meant to be a full-time job. It was meant to be a part-time casual thing that people could do to earn money (it can be hard to fit most "real" part time jobs into a full time work schedule, especially if your full time schedule isn't fixed).

Leasing a car for uber doesn't really make sense. It's only worth driving with them if you already have a car that is fuel-efficient.
Agreed...

Smart:

Picking up a fare on your way to/from work that is going near your work to pay for your gas + a little extra.

Driving for Uber on your day off with your car that you own outright.

Not-Smart:

Financing a car for 84/96 months and planning to flip it every 3 years with 200,000+KM and eating $3000-$8000 negative equity by rolling it into a new vehicle.

Renting a car while on vacation in Montreal to take Uber fares to pay for your bus ride home.

Anything in general trying to skirt around the regulations... I'm not sure if people don't know, or just don't care that they could be in serious crapola for "breaking the rules" re: insurance / lenders / etc and driving for Uber.

Personally I think that Uber takes advantage of so many bright eye'd people who make nothing or barely anything after expenses are considered... I am not a fan of the service for this reason.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
4450 posts
2828 upvotes
Montreal
The notion that the 'CEO' has created jobs is absolutely comical. This entire company is a big corrupt scam which thanks to millennials has made the CEO a multi-billionaire for basically transferring the cost of doing business onto an unsuspecting public who have trouble doing the math disguised as a 'job' and operating illegally. They went on a huge social and mainstream media campaign to vilify the taxi industry and of course, the public bought it. This 'job' also can not be done part time, the app is designed to punish drivers who use it part time, the less you work the less rides will come your way when you log on. The more you work, the more fares come your way. Totally scumbag organization.

The entire 'sharing economy' is a giant scam, Airbnb is the same, transfer the cost of doing business onto the general public. No wages to pay, no insurance, medical, no fleet to inspect/maintain, no licenses to pay, etc etc. Let the public take all the risk for a small cut lol. People are delusional if they think UBER is here for the better good of society to save you from those 'awful, expensive taxi drivers'. This is the company that market tested surge prices of $1000/ride to see what they can get away with, and implement it to this day in major cities. Over $400/rides for short distances in NYC, Chicago, LA etc happens often. I can go on and on, what OP is going through is the MO of this company, entice you with a tiny discount to a cab (that will keep shrinking) and then raise the price. Meanwhile, the rider is going along for a ride with some schmo and his uninspected, unsinsured and unregulated econobox. Better hope nothing happens riding in one of these.