Automotive

Issue with Uber predetermined fare

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2017 12:59 pm
Tags:
Feb 6, 2011
941 posts
507 upvotes
Op, don't complain about the route the driver takes. Uber driver may kill you.

Capture.PNG
Last edited by billford on Aug 12th, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2007
628 posts
336 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have no complain about the driver, they always just take whatever route I tell them to take.
My issue is the Uber predetermined fare model, that the fare is set the second I request the car, and is based on what the apps THINK is best route.
In my case, I pay for the toll and extra KM , even I end up take shorter / faster route, without toll.
Apr 20, 2002
20 posts
Op, have you tried scheduling a ride? Maybe that may get you around the predetermined fare
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3044 posts
365 upvotes
I see this thread has gone off the rails, but there are two ways to bypass Uber's predetermined fares and revert to time and distance billing.

1) Select "Enter Destination Later" as your destination, and only enter your actual destination in the app once your ride begins.

2) If the "Enter Destination Later" option does not appear, enter an incorrect address in the same direction then change the destination in the app to the correct address once the ride begins.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36500 posts
2443 upvotes
Toronto
CorSter wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 9:51 pm
I see this thread has gone off the rails, but there are two ways to bypass Uber's predetermined fares and revert to time and distance billing.

1) Select "Enter Destination Later" as your destination, and only enter your actual destination in the app once your ride begins.

2) If the "Enter Destination Later" option does not appear, enter an incorrect address in the same direction then change the destination in the app to the correct address once the ride begins.
Smarty pants!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36500 posts
2443 upvotes
Toronto
Andro wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:09 pm
I agree with you on most points. Just keep in mind that the faceless ceo is the one who gave these guys a job in the first place, doubtful they'd be able to arrange themselves same way on their own.
You owners of nike and gap also gave jobs to people in bangladesh. Only to burn in a fiery factory. Literally.
But the ceo does have a bad attitude. He Actually assaults people.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
4630 posts
1215 upvotes
Cornhole, ON
billford wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:53 pm
Op, don't complain about the route the driver takes. Uber driver may kill you.

Capture.PNG
Tyson is driving Uber now ??
[OP]
Jan 31, 2007
628 posts
336 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CorSter wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 9:51 pm

Oh, didn't know this option exist. Let me try next time.
I have no issue is Uber Driver, it is the App that I have issue with, as it doesn't give me option to NOT to take toll road, or at least not to calculate the fare based on the toll road.
Basically the fare MUST BE set in the way the app decided, doesn't matter if I take shorter/faster/no-toll route.
Feb 13, 2017
22 posts
5 upvotes
Same thing happening to me in Markham,
It used to be a $12 ride. Now $19 and goes through 407 even though I ask the driver to not take 407
In the breakdown it shows tolls and surcharges as $9.
I called uber they told me they were upfront about their cost so its staying in the bill.
I doubt this extra fee went to the driver.

Make me take uber less overall and I end up saving more
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4692 posts
885 upvotes
Mississauga
cutepoison wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 11:58 am
Same thing happening to me in Markham,
It used to be a $12 ride. Now $19 and goes through 407 even though I ask the driver to not take 407
In the breakdown it shows tolls and surcharges as $9.
I called uber they told me they were upfront about their cost so its staying in the bill.
I doubt this extra fee went to the driver.

Make me take uber less overall and I end up saving more
I don't ride nor drive UBER, but this is fascinating if the breakdown actually splits out the toll. Does that mean the toll charge is paid back out to the driver in full, since if the driver took the 407 as directed, they would be incurring a toll charge.

Any UBER driver able to confirm? Just a curious person here. :)