Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
2892 posts
389 upvotes
Pickering

Issues with veterinary

Some history first, my 4 1/2 year old Lab developed urinary tract issues due to the dog food that she was eating since we got her (7 weeks old). In fact I went with this dog food due to recommendations on here, she was fed Acana and it's high protein content caused these issues. If you'd like to know more about Orijen and Acana and many issues pet owners are having you might consider reading this;

https://www.chagrinfallspetclinic.com/2 ... dog-foods/

It's a US lawsuit, I've contacted the lawyers and they update me on what's going on now and again.

Now to deal with the urinary issues with my dog my vet put her on Royal Canin Urinary SO dog food, thankfully it cleared up the urinary tract and all was good, however she was itching and scratching somewhat more than usual, in retrospect I should of paid more attention when this started but I passed it off as regular dog behavior and it wasn't to the point where she was harming herself however she developed rashes in her ears that were concerning. Off to the vet for many visits over the years due to scratching and ear rashes, they put her on oral med for her ears and brushed off any other scratching issues. The last few weeks ago however my Wife and I noticed something worse, she was developing small bumps all over her body and 1 large one around her nose, again we went to the vet and more tests were needed, we've done tests in the past and the usual response is "we don't know what it is, but if we do more tests...". Same thing happened again, first test was inconclusive so they insisted we pay to put her to sleep to get a better sample, my dog is very energetic at that vet, always incredibly nervous whenever she goes there and it's really hard to get anything done. I said I will think about it, and joked with my Wife that they are doing it again to get more cash out of us. On a hunch I checked out if there were any issues with Royal Canin and I found this;

https://wagwalking.com/condition/royal-canin-allergies

Of the symptoms my dog has 8 of them! I thought there's no way I went from 1 problem food to another?! Couldn't be, the vet would of said something about potential allergies from Royal Canin food right? Nope, never once told me, they would know about possible allergies from a dog food that they sell all the time I would think?

I switched her over to another dog food and her scratching has almost seized, bumps will take a bit longer but hopefully they will disappear.

So, over the years of using this vet, they've charged me in the thousands for Royal Canin Urinary SO dog food and treatment and visits for ear rashes and now bumps. Is there a chance they didn't know about potential allergic reactions to Royal Canin? I don't believe so, I believe they knew but continued to take my hard earned money...

What do you think?
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1222 posts
840 upvotes
British Columbia
Any food can cause food allergies, no point blaming any one food or any one brand. Urinary SO is to treat bladder crystals as it helps flush out the bladder more frequently (they drink more water on the food)... thus preventing their formation. Also sounds like your dog currently has a skin infection and should maybe go on antibiotics.

You're telling me for years you've gone to your vet to treat ear infections and they just put up antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory medications on reoccurring ear infections without ever addressing why they're occurring? Allergies are the most common reason... so if that's the case, and they never said anything to you, switch vets.
Aug 20, 2007
36 posts
2 upvotes
Agreed with the above poster. I empathize with your situation and generally, I have often found despite the expertise vets have, the solutions are very rarely precise.
Aug 1, 2006
779 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
Try giving frozen raw dog food mixed with a bit of water. This will really keep your dog well hydrated and is the best food for an allergic dog. Avoid chicken as a protein at first since that tends to be the most likely protein to cause an allergy, and maybe test it out later.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
2892 posts
389 upvotes
Pickering
Thanks for the replies, trying different foods to deal with these allergies.

Can anyone recommend a good Vet in the Durham region? preferable in the Pickering or Ajax area?
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
Aug 20, 2007
36 posts
2 upvotes
I use to go to Riverside at Westney and 401, but last year switched to West Hill, which is in the Port Union area. I like the service better at West Hill, but jury is still out on quality for me personally, given we haven't solved my own dogs allergy issues.