• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2015 12:42 am
Tags:
None
Apr 11, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON

iTalkBB Router Setup

Hi, was just wondering what would be the best setup security wise for my italk bb router. Currently i have it setup as this modem > Router > iTalk Spa122.

By having the iTalk router behind my router does it make my network more or less secure? I believe the the router functions are still enabled in the spa122, since i am unable to login to it and disable it, since italkbb changed the default pass/login which is admin/admin. Would italkbb be able to access their router still through my router since they know the log/pass info for their router?

I have read up and people did not recommended this setup modem > italk > router, since it might effect performance issues, but with the other method, does it jeopardize security, if i am unable to set my own log/pass for the spa122?
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
AreTwoDeeTwo wrote: Hi, was just wondering what would be the best setup security wise for my italk bb router. Currently i have it setup as this modem > Router > iTalk Spa122.

By having the iTalk router behind my router does it make my network more or less secure? I believe the the router functions are still enabled in the spa122, since i am unable to login to it and disable it, since italkbb changed the default pass/login which is admin/admin. Would italkbb be able to access their router still through my router since they know the log/pass info for their router?

I have read up and people did not recommended this setup modem > italk > router, since it might effect performance issues, but with the other method, does it jeopardize security, if i am unable to set my own log/pass for the spa122?
Since you know your own IP assigned by your ISP, you can try accessing the italk behind your router from a different ip address other than your own isp's assigned ip and see if it is possible to. I suspect it'll be difficult to do so because your router has a firewall of some sort
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
Ok I didn't read it properly. It's more secure if the iptalk thing is behind your router. Putting it in front means they can easily control the iptalk device to tap into the data stream if that is what the device is capable of doing. Behind the router and your router's firewall should make it much harder for them to talk to it directly.