• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2014 1:50 pm
Nov 3, 2005
427 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto

Italy with preschoolers--pass the vino!

Hi, RFD'ers...

I was hoping for some advice as we plan+book our trip to Italy next June. We've been to Italy many times but this will be the first time travelling (anywhere) with our then-4 year old boys. We are trying to organise as much as possible now so we can watch for deals when and if they come up.

So, to the list!

1. Flights: for four people, round trip *direct* fromToronto to Rome via Alitalia for our travel dates comes to $3300 all in. This seems like a great price (and seating is wide open) -- does that sound like a good price for flights? My research on the sites that offer historical data says that's the average but it seems awfully good for late June. Since our villa in Florence is already booked, we feel ok to confirm these flights if it makes sense.

2. Flight seating: we are wondering if it's best to book the four middle seats or book 2x2 seats on the side? My thought was that four across is best because if one parent needs to get up for some reason, you still have one parent with both kids and they can entertain themselves if sitting together... but my husband thinks 2 and 2 is better. Any thoughts on that?

3. We plan to arrive in Rome on the Friday as my inlaws will arrive then... And as a group, we will rent a villa in Tuscany starting the Saturday. Question is, is it best to stay in Rome Friday night and then get the train to Florence the next day or get the train and head to Florence as soon as we land? (We arrive at 1pm local time). None of my inlaws have kids (and they are in their 50s) so they are deferring to use to make the decision. I just don't know what makes more sense as I've never travelled with my kids and I don't know how 4 year olds deal with long flights etc.

4. We will have four days at the end of our villa rental to do something else. We've been to Italy many times but never with kids so we have no idea if anywhere we've been would be a must-visit. Is it worthwhile to kick around Rome for a few days? I can't think of anything we've done there that preschoolers would tolerate. But we are willing to travel a bit if there's something in the vicinity that would be a great adventure.

Thanks in advance for any insight offered...
6 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
On the aircraft, I would take the 4 wide seating row. An adult at each end with the kids in the middle. You can raise the arm rests between the seats and the kids can sleep. I have seen folks take the bulkhead row and make a bed on the floor for one of the kids.
As for what to do upon landing, well, that is a group decision. You need to get from Leonardo da Vinci airport to the Termini train station on Rome and then on a train for a 3 hour ride then taxi or rental car (the rental car agencies in Florence are outside of the city center) then on to your villa. That makes for a very long day. You could stay in Ostia, near the beach, for the day then onward the next day.
as for what to do with the kids, well, as you have been in Italy many times, you should be able to determine what not to do and you know your 4 year old kids best so.....
You could go to Ostia or Fiumicino or anywhere along the shore and let them run the beaches for a few days. Google the two towns in earth view for an idea of how many beaches there are. They are hidden gems of places that rarely see too many tourists (except locals an Romans).
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Banned
Jul 2, 2014
6 posts
1 upvote
Montreal, QC
The flights sound great. I would still check around maybe ask a TA to quote incase they are able to book you something cheaper. As for arriving in Rome it will be an overnight flight and so I imagine everyone will be tired. I would recommend staying in Rome for the night even if it is just to recuperate. It will make a huge difference to be able to land somewhere and sleep. Initially I am sure you are thinking I just want to get to the Villa however the last 3 hours will be torture especially if your Children have not slept on the flight…That is just my opinion

Regards,

Alex
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
[B wrote:EasyAwardBooking[/B];19924211]The flights sound great. I would still check around maybe ask a TA to quote incase they are able to book you something cheaper. As for arriving in Rome it will be an overnight flight and so I imagine everyone will be tired. I would recommend staying in Rome for the night even if it is just to recuperate. It will make a huge difference to be able to land somewhere and sleep. Initially I am sure you are thinking I just want to get to the Villa however the last 3 hours will be torture especially if your Children have not slept on the flight…That is just my opinion

Regards,

Alex
OP, Sorry for the off topic.
Alex, why are you EasyAwardBooking? Something to share?
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
EasyAwardBooking wrote: Hi Maybe I should change that..I am an award booking service and affiliated with Virtuoso...
So you are a travel agent that uses points to book flights? What value do you all as opposed to calling the Aeroplan phone number? This is a serious question as i book on points frequently and pay the $35 fee to Aeroplan. What do you provide and for how much?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
EasyAwardBooking wrote: I offer ........

Also as you can see I am on RFD and FT helping people as well….

I hope that answers your question :)

Alex
Thanks for the information.
I have had those services provided to me by the Aeroplan agent. The online service is very limited bit a $35 phone call has always worked out well.
If I ever have a problem, I may contact you though. :)
Nov 3, 2005
427 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, Pete--I hadn't thought about the benefit of lifting the armrests so the boys can sleep so that's the way we'll go! And thanks, Alex--I think you're right--we will likely be delirious from exhaustion by the time we land so we should probably just find the nearest hotel and pass out there when we land. We do need to take the train and pick up a car outside of Florence but that just sounds like too much to take on, on potentially little to no sleep.

I will have to find a website with stuff to do with kids in Italy. We are very familiar with the museums, galleries, and historical sites.. but I can't imagine 4-year olds enjoying that for more than 30 seconds. If anyone who has been on such a trip with little ones, I'd love to hear from you!

Btw--Alex, pardon my ignorance but can travel agents get any better deals than what one finds booking directly with an airline? I've always assumed that with travel agents, they get the same price as everyone else and then build in their fees (for saving you the time and effort of doing it yourself)..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)