None
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg

Italy...suggestions?

Hello,

I'm going to World Youth Day this summer, and then down to Italy afterwards. I am going to Rome, the Vatican, then Pompeii and then Ischia.

If you have any suggestions about what to see, where to go, what to do, how to get around....pretty much anything, please let me know.

Thanks
11 replies
Mar 29, 2004
74 posts
GTA
just remember that most churches (including Vatican), they won't let you in if you're wearing sleeveless shirts, etc.... people often forget that, as it gets really hot in europe during summer..

girls can bring a wrap/shawl to cover up, and it's very light weight.
guys can wear those pants with removable pant legs that zip off.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thanks for the tip.

Keep 'em coming!
Mar 17, 2003
561 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
if you're on a budget stay at the Yellow Hostel in Rome , its a very cool place (at least when I was there 2 years ago) and close to the train station.
Join a bus tour infront of the bus/train/subway starion
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thanks!

Anymore tips out there?
Mar 17, 2003
561 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Visit your local Chapters/<a href=../autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=33 target=_blank>Indigo</a> and buy Lonely Planet's Italy or Western Europe.
If you want to get into Colosium faster join a tour, it's a few Euro more but it's definately worth the cash (the tours are great and you won't wait as long to get in).

If you're in Palermo go to the catecombs.

When taking the bus in Rome (and other European cities) you will have to visit a local smoke shop and buy your tickets there, you will have to validate the ticket on the bus at a little machine. You can't pay on the bus. They use the honor system there, but they do frequent spot-checks by undercovers. I got booked for a 40Euro fine once, after that I paid for the bus every time.

Pisa is a day trip from Rome by train.
Pompei is a day trip from Rome by train.
If you get a chance visit a town called Cinque Terra, small fishing village thats suppose to be very beautiful.

I have a ton of travel tips from a 2 month backpacking trip 2 years ago.
Feb 8, 2005
167 posts
28 upvotes
Visit my website (link in signature). I keep my travel journals there - I have two entries from two visits to Italy, and some pictures. And yeah, Cinque Terre is really nice - sleeping on a hostel over a cliff, hearing waves crash at night, fireflies, riding on a cliff-hugging train with the door open...

Also, watch out for scammers in Italy's piazzas and squares who WILL prey on you. They'll start tying a bracelet on your hand while reciting cheesy English poetry, then try to charge you a ridiculous amount for it.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8742 upvotes
Toronto
Yes definitely visit Cinque Terre, absolute stunning, try to do the walk from one villa to the last one, it is quite a gruelling hike but absolutely worth it. The views are amazing.

I was arriving to the last villa while the sun was setting, that picture is worth a million dollars.

Ahhh the memories, have fun !
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
pswart wrote:Hello,

I'm going to World Youth Day this summer, and then down to Italy afterwards. I am going to Rome, the Vatican, then Pompeii and then Ischia. Thanks.
If you're into art history, Rome contains the greatest collection of Baroque art in the world. Even the smaller churches have stunning interiors and chapels designed by the Masters. Three must-see museums are the Vatican Museums, Capitoline Museums, and Borghese Gallery. For the Vatican Museums get there as early as possible. Even if you're there an hour before it opens, there will still be a huge lineup.

I never had to take the bus once when I was in Rome because all the major sights are concentrated in one location. I only took the subway once and that was just to get to the Vatican as fast as I could.

Oh, and eat as much gelato as possible. Truly food from the gods. :D
Mar 29, 2004
74 posts
GTA
:arrowu:

YES, gelato every single day. sometimes i had two a day. my favourites are pistacchio and nocciola (hazelnut). =P***
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thank you everyone for your replies!

I'll be sure to get some gelati!

If any one else has anything to add please feel free!
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
pswart wrote:Thank you everyone for your replies!

I'll be sure to get some gelati!

If any one else has anything to add please feel free!
The best Gelati in the world is just a few blocks from the Piazza Navona, you leave at the far end, on the opposite side of a small electronics store, and then it’s pretty much straight there. One thing to know though, is ordering is not like here, you pay first then go over to choose what you want.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)