• Mar 15th, 2018 2:34 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1728 posts
552 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Item being sold labelled "Not for Retail Sale"

Just wondering what rules, laws or regulations there are regarding merchants/stores selling items that clearly have "not for retail sale" written on them. Is there a penalty from the governing body or is it up to the manufacturer to enforce it?
This was on a package of Sunrise Tofu.

I emailed the manufacturer and this was the response they gave:

Thank you for your email and for letting us know of this issue. Our
Sunrise Premium Medium Firm Twin Pack tofu is not for retail sale
because it is designed for food service and restaurants. In terms of
nutrition and food safety, it is similar to our Traditional Freshpack
tofu. Nevertheless, we will follow up with the grocery store and
advise them to stop selling it at their retail section.
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7218 posts
1462 upvotes
Mississauga
Its most likely just the packaging and the way it is labelled. I know at our company, even tho the products are the same formula and identical, the consumer items need to be labelled differently than the industrial branded items.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23234 posts
3537 upvotes
A lot of times, with food items it's things that come in multi-packs where the singular item doesn't have the nutritional info on it, it's just the main box that does. Therefore the manufacturer absolves itself of having to provide the information on each individual one.

I don't think there's anything all that "illegal" about actually selling them individually but in this case the store would get into any trouble (if there is any "trouble" to get into) over selling something w/o nutritional info printed on it.

In other words the sale of it is not really breaking any real laws though there might be some regulatory technicalities like the aforementioned nutrition label, ingredient listing, etc. Pretty sure there's no one to police this stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6135 posts
785 upvotes
No law being broken other than they may not have proper labelling (eg bilingual). These may be samples to generate interest in a product and given to a retailer free to pass on to his customers also free. It's not intended for the retailer to profit from this, but of course some can't resist.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29225 posts
4307 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
It is obviously a bulk pack intended for restaurants. The grocery store purchased it at a bulk discount and makes a larger profit over the retail version.

I am 100% sure the items are identical to the retail pack
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14941 posts
1890 upvotes
Toronto
Report it to the manufacturer (by the sounds of it, you did) and leave it up to them.
If they are concerned, they'll step in. If they aren't, they won't.

Generally it's not allowed but who up-keeps this, I don't know.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3248 posts
2773 upvotes
Vancouver
The labels on food sold at the retail-consumer level must comply with all of this: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/labell ... 3275314581 If the label is missing any of that it can't be sold at the retail level, but can still be sold to restaurants, institutional kitchens, etc.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is the governing body for this. If you feel like formally reporting the issue:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/inform ... 0346078752
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3807 posts
399 upvotes
Ottawa
Report it; the sellers will go to prison, where they'll be targeted by other inmates for their crime. Everyone know the prison hierarchy

Cop-killers
Other murderers
Violent crimes
Non-violent crimes
Sex offenders
People who tear mattress tags off
People who sell food not meant for individual sale
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5305 posts
756 upvotes
Toronto
I think the better question is "how".

The item was probably a logistical error and the product is probably a one-off. Instead of claiming credit for another item they should have received or calling for a return, they chose to sell it to get their money back.

You could advise the retailer they shouldn't be selling it but the product has likely already sold thru now.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1728 posts
552 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
it's not a logistical error. The store is Lee Men Grocery inside the Richmond Public Market in Richmond, BC. They wholesale to restaurants and businesses too. And they have this product on multiple occasions. After I contacted Sunrise tofu, they contacted the merchant and the items were pulled for about a week or 2. I went back and it was in store again.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13439 posts
2229 upvotes
Toronto
stovetop wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:44 am
it's not a logistical error. The store is Lee Men Grocery inside the Richmond Public Market in Richmond, BC. They wholesale to restaurants and businesses too. And they have this product on multiple occasions. After I contacted Sunrise tofu, they contacted the merchant and the items were pulled for about a week or 2. I went back and it was in store again.
So? Report it again so it can stay off the shelf for another two weeks. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
3413 posts
1693 upvotes
Happens a lot in the food/grocery industry. Take for example this week a grocery store has a case sale on kraft dinner $5.88 (12 individual boxes) which works out to 49 cents a box.
The grocery store also carries single box for $1.49. The grocery store to make more money would order more of the case sale of kd and break open the case and stock the sku of single kd box at $1.49
Manufactures slap this on their items to stop this as they are technically losing money. Examples of this are usually bulk items or double packed items
Ketchup
710 ml pop
Kleenex box
Paper towels
Just from the top of my head
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2406 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
It's up to the manufacture to enforce.

I know a few glasses stores that "sell" contact lens that are marked for trial use only.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3904 posts
5384 upvotes
Ontario
If you ever see that phrase on a bottle of 710ml pop at a convenience food type store or stand, someone definitely got 6pk of pop on sale and separated the bottles to sell the singles at full retail. It used to be an issue in Union Station but that vendor is not there anymore.
Seeking shopping sprees or a pot of gold.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
10477 posts
1542 upvotes
there's no law against it, the manufacturer can choose not to supply the product to said retailer and sue them for damage. at the end of the day is about leverage.

all in all, just mind your own business. unless of course you are a competitor of said retailer
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping