Item being sold labelled "Not for Retail Sale"

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2018 2:34 am
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1111 posts
147 upvotes
Markham, ON
You never know where the error in labelling occurred. For example, I saw some cereal boxes with "not for sale in Canada". I am like, I am in Canada.

I wondered if the error happened during placement of order for the cereal boxes by the cereal maker or if am error happened during shipment of the boxes with the cereal or if it was an April's fool joke.

I didn't buy those products for obvious reasons.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2249 posts
1180 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
stovetop wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 5:17 pm
Just wondering what rules, laws or regulations there are regarding merchants/stores selling items that clearly have "not for retail sale" written on them. Is there a penalty from the governing body or is it up to the manufacturer to enforce it?
This was on a package of Sunrise Tofu.
"Not for retail sale" is not a legal restriction, it's typically put on items that are part of a multi-pack sold at a much lower price. For example, a set of 2 packets of tofu is something the manufacturer doesn't want being split up and sold individually, or those little packets of chips you get as part of Halloween boxes...that sort of thing.

Ultimately it's up to the manufacturer/wholesaler to enforce, not the guv'ment.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Apr 13, 2010
432 posts
173 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
Kiraly wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 9:40 am
The labels on food sold at the retail-consumer level must comply with all of this: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/labell ... 3275314581 If the label is missing any of that it can't be sold at the retail level, but can still be sold to restaurants, institutional kitchens, etc.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is the governing body for this. If you feel like formally reporting the issue:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/inform ... 0346078752
Wow... a lot of misinformation in this thread. This is the only post that actually quotes a law.

So yes, it is actually illegal for the store to be selling these. It wasn't a labeling mistake - they're labeled like they are on purpose because they aren't meant for retail sale, and the store is breaking the law by selling something that is not properly labeled according to Canadian law.

Now does anyone really care? *shrugs*

The manufacturer can only ask them politely to stop selling it, but only the Canadian Food Inspection Agency can enforce it.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2249 posts
1180 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
witenite wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:14 pm
Manufactures slap this on their items to stop this as they are technically losing money.
Sorry, but the manufacturers aren't losing anything. They sell the box at wholesale to the retailer and that price would be the same whether the retailer sold the box in pieces or whole.

Manufacturers put the 'not for retail sale' restriction on items because it's a 'bulk' package intended to be sold as one item.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2249 posts
1180 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
cybersaga wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 11:01 am
Wow... a lot of misinformation in this thread. This is the only post that actually quotes a law.

So yes, it is actually illegal for the store to be selling these. It wasn't a labeling mistake - they're labeled like they are on purpose because they aren't meant for retail sale, and the store is breaking the law by selling something that is not properly labeled according to Canadian law.

Now does anyone really care? *shrugs*

The manufacturer can only ask them politely to stop selling it, but only the Canadian Food Inspection Agency can enforce it.
Ah, yes. I forgot to take in to consideration labeling. Of course some...but not all...multipack items would have labeling that does not meet the legal requirements (nutritional values, etc).

Thanks for the clarification.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1689 posts
542 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Uploaded a pic...can you guys see it...photobucket sucks..it's slow as f
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14625 posts
1631 upvotes
Toronto
stovetop wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 11:38 am

Uploaded a pic...can you guys see it...photobucket sucks..it's slow as f
Cannot.
You can load the image directly to RFD, they have a photo uploader now when you're posting (in advanced form)
"Deal of the Day" addict
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1689 posts
542 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Attached now?
Images
  • tofu.jpg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1689 posts
542 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
This is the response I got back from the Inspector, British Columbia Animal and Food Directorate; Canadian Food Inspection Agency / Government of Canada

Your enquiry has been sent to me for response.

The UPC code is not mandatory information on a product label. CFIA administers the Food & Drug Regulations which, in part, specifies information required on the label of a packaged product. Mandatory information includes the product common name and list of ingredients.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/labell ... 3607344939

The words 'not for retail sale' are not regulated. Did the product label have other missing mandatory information? Do you have a photo of the product label?
Apr 13, 2010
432 posts
173 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
Ingredients and nutrition info are on there, so it's probably fine legally.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4218 posts
553 upvotes
OP why do you care so much? You see it all the time, restaurants buy the 6 x 710ML cases of Coke when they go on sale and sell them individually.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1418 posts
255 upvotes
Ontario
The grocery store is pulling a scam to make money. The product is either meant for a restaurant or was a promotion.
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14625 posts
1631 upvotes
Toronto
webshark wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 4:14 pm
The grocery store is pulling a scam to make money. The product is either meant for a restaurant or was a promotion.
Restaurant grade is what comes to mind for me.
If it says it, it's not a mistake. It's not meant for retail lol
"Deal of the Day" addict
Jul 5, 2013
460 posts
452 upvotes
Saint John
ALLCAPS wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 11:17 am
Sorry, but the manufacturers aren't losing anything. They sell the box at wholesale to the retailer and that price would be the same whether the retailer sold the box in pieces or whole.

Manufacturers put the 'not for retail sale' restriction on items because it's a 'bulk' package intended to be sold as one item.
Manufacturers are potentially losing money because retailers would buy much less individual packs.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
3295 posts
1599 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 11:17 am

Yes I agree but let's talk about the kd I mention

Let's say the manufacture has 2 sku
1 bulk case (has 12 kd single package) but sold as 1 unit would sell for $3 to the retailer
1 case which has 12 kd single package and sold individual would cost $4 to the retailer due to other factors that would add to price to produce ie. Packaging