Shopping Discussion

"Item on hold at postal facility to verify address of recipient" HELP!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2011 6:50 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 12, 2011
7 posts

"Item on hold at postal facility to verify address of recipient" HELP!

Hey guys, today I was supposed to receive a package from China today however it said on hold in order to verify address. I was a little bit worried so I went to my local post office and the attendant said that they might ship it back to sender. She said I should call this number 1-800-267-1177 tomorrow or early monday and tell them that the adress it perfectly fine and to not ship it back. Will Canada Post do this or will they simply sort out the address and attempt to redeliver. What could be the problem with the address? They are supposed to send to my friends house. He lives in a large appartment complex but he doesnt know the postal code so I entered his address on the CP website and they gave me a code. That is the one I sent as shipping info. Maybe that the problem? Should I call every post office located close to the address to see if they have it?

2011/11/25 15:21 MONTREAL Item on hold at postal facility to verify address of recipient
11:25 MONTREAL Item out for delivery
04:03 MONTREAL Item processed at local delivery facility
13 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13318 posts
675 upvotes
If the address you used or that the shipper entered can't be found it will be shipped back. Does your friend not get mail? He couldn't look at a piece of this own mail to verify the correct postal code?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2011
7 posts
Ojam wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 9:52 pm
If the address you used or that the shipper entered can't be found it will be shipped back. Does your friend not get mail? He couldn't look at a piece of this own mail to verify the correct postal code?

He's 17, all mail is transferred to his sister's house. The address on the package is perfectly normal plus the postal code is the one Canada Post gave me. Where is the package, in a Local Pharmaprix or in a sorting center where the general public cannot go?
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13318 posts
675 upvotes
MrLutareio wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 10:07 pm
He's 17, all mail is transferred to his sister's house. The address on the package is perfectly normal plus the postal code is the one Canada Post gave me. Where is the package, in a Local Pharmaprix or in a sorting center where the general public cannot go?

That doesn't mean that was what was entered on the package. You're not going to be able to pick it up anyway because you won't have any id with your friends address, he will need to pick it up. But if they can't verify the address it will be sent back. The fact that his mail is forwarded to his sisters house could also be playing a part in the issue. Should have just had it shipped to your place.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2011
7 posts
Ojam wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 10:31 pm
That doesn't mean that was what was entered on the package. You're not going to be able to pick it up anyway because you won't have any id with your friends address, he will need to pick it up. But if they can't verify the address it will be sent back. The fact that his mail is forwarded to his sisters house could also be playing a part in the issue. Should have just had it shipped to your place.

Yeah maybe the guy miswrote the address. The picking up part there's no problem I could just bring him along. And I don't think the forwarding is an issue because it is only for bills and school papers. They would still drop the delivery notice in his mailbox.
The only solution I see is to call the number as the mail girl said but I never know with all these holdings or find out where they are hiding the package.
Feb 10, 2009
655 posts
20 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 9:52 pm

I don't know man, my mom (who works at a CP sorting facility) tells me about the great lengths employees go to to make sure a package reaches it's destination with a wrong address. It's certainly not every employee that cares enough to do it, but it seems like more trouble to send it back than to figure out a bad postal code (or bad street address, etc). Anecdotally, just recently I bought something online and used my old postal code in Saskatchewan with my current address in Ontario. I wasn't paying attention when I put my address in and was wondering why it was taking so long. When I finally got it, the postal code was scratched out and beside it was written "try [so and so postal code]". It maybe took an extra 3 days, which I presume was due to the travel back and forth.

For interest's sake, my mom also told me about a letter that came through that had no address whatsoever. Just a name, a town and a description of the house, including the colour of the mailbox, and approximately how far away it was from the nearest point of interest. It absolutely got to where it needed to go. This is an extreme example, and I certainly don't suggest you address your mail like this, but it's neat to know that some CP employees actually give a crap.

I'm not sure "verifying address" means they don't know the address. I can't begin to speculate why some shipments are stuck in this status.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
76 upvotes
They did that to me once. It got delivered the next day. I think it was because there was a letter after my apartment number.
Jan 17, 2010
954 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
MrLutareio wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 10:07 pm
He's 17, all mail is transferred to his sister's house.

After it's delivered, by somebody in the family or automatically by Canada Post? If mail is forwarded that might be the problem.
aggronieszka wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 10:59 pm
I don't know man, my mom (who works at a CP sorting facility) tells me about the great lengths employees go to to make sure a package reaches it's destination with a wrong address. It's certainly not every employee that cares enough to do it, but it seems like more trouble to send it back than to figure out a bad postal code (or bad street address, etc). Anecdotally, just recently I bought something online and used my old postal code in Saskatchewan with my current address in Ontario. I wasn't paying attention when I put my address in and was wondering why it was taking so long. When I finally got it, the postal code was scratched out and beside it was written "try [so and so postal code]". It maybe took an extra 3 days, which I presume was due to the travel back and forth.

For interest's sake, my mom also told me about a letter that came through that had no address whatsoever. Just a name, a town and a description of the house, including the colour of the mailbox, and approximately how far away it was from the nearest point of interest. It absolutely got to where it needed to go. This is an extreme example, and I certainly don't suggest you address your mail like this, but it's neat to know that some CP employees actually give a crap.

I'm not sure "verifying address" means they don't know the address. I can't begin to speculate why some shipments are stuck in this status.

There was an episode of Ed's Up that showed the department of CP that work with undeliverable mail. Seems like a very interesting job :) From damaged mail to incorrect/incomplete addresses like you said.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2011
7 posts
SleepyMcGee wrote:
Nov 26th, 2011 8:42 pm
After it's delivered, by somebody in the family or automatically by Canada Post? If mail is forwarded that might be the problem.

There was an episode of Ed's Up that showed the department of CP that work with undeliverable mail. Seems like a very interesting job :) From damaged mail to incorrect/incomplete addresses like you said.

That's a good point, I'll ask him. But I think its only for bills and stuff idk if it's the case, will they send it to his sister or his normal address?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
3651 posts
838 upvotes
Winnipeg
MrLutareio wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 12:36 am
That's a good point, I'll ask him. But I think its only for bills and stuff idk if it's the case, will they send it to his sister or his normal address?

Doesnt really matter, there is still a problem with the adress...Most likely missing the unit number and the carrier is waiting to see if he can match up mail with the parcel to get the right adress.. But they will only do that for so long..
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3820 posts
328 upvotes
Barrys Bay
I've had a similar issue sending and item to and address and using postal code found online and it wasn't correct. package was returned to me.

Hopefully the person who is receiving the item at address has proper id and can contact them with tracking # to sort out address and get redirected.

Its like trying to get a proper postal code for Young street addresses in GTA its hits many different ones. And if you enter wrong # on search its sent to different area....
[OP]
Mar 12, 2011
7 posts
airmail wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 11:32 am
Doesnt really matter, there is still a problem with the adress...Most likely missing the unit number and the carrier is waiting to see if he can match up mail with the parcel to get the right adress.. But they will only do that for so long..

The unit number!! That's what I forgot! -__- I'll call them like the cashier at the Canada Post place said and try to rectify the situation.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1009 posts
67 upvotes
MrLutareio wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 3:04 pm
The unit number!! That's what I forgot! -__- I'll call them like the cashier at the Canada Post place said and try to rectify the situation.

Well then...Dont come on here for more advice...Its not rocket science and NOT the fault of Canada Post
[OP]
Mar 12, 2011
7 posts
dealman5 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 4:06 pm
Well then...Dont come on here for more advice...Its not rocket science and NOT the fault of Canada Post

I wasnt't blaming them, I've had so far good experiences with them. I simply wanted a solution to the question.
× < >