• Aug 10th, 2016 4:07 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
2185 posts
678 upvotes

Item I sold on eBay, damaged during delivery

Okay here's my situation.

I listed an Epson Disc Producer on eBay. Unit was perfect condition. The only problem with the unit was that it had a full waste ink pad which can be replaced or the counter reset. Once this error is cleared, the unit is back to functional condition. This was thoroughly described in the description of the item on eBay. When I list an item on eBay, I state that I do not accept returns (I've never accepted returns on any item I've listed because it's always on working condition or exactly how I've described it in my description). This is how I've maintained my 100% feedback score to date.

Anyways, the listing ends because me and a buyer agree to a reasonable offer. He sends the money, I create the shipping label with eBay/PayPal, selected additional insurance strictly because this is a rare piece of hardware and it's heavy, pack up the unit with a massive load of bubble wrap to ENSURE this package is safe and secure. I even taped all corners and edges of the boxes to ensure the box doesn't split at its own will and that the tape holds it together. (I even use the strong thick tape you purchase directly from Canada Post)

I track the item delivery to the guys house and a day later and he tells me that the item ARRIVED, but FALLING OUT of the box! and that he had to help the USPS driver carry the package out of the truck because it was falling out of the box. He opened the box and the unit was basically crushed on the corner and the hinge for the door would no longer work. He showed me pictures and it's exactly how he described. I don't even know how or why a package would end up in that condition. And in fact, I can't even believe the courier service would even hand over a package in that kind of condition without question.

I was absolutely shocked when I saw these pictures, I couldn't believe it. Right away I opened up a ticket/claim with Canada Post regarding this issue and it's in progress. However while I'm waiting for a response from Canada Post, the buyer on eBay is trying to ask for a return on the item (which I don't accept) and is harassing me to send his money back. The damage to the item is out of my control and I can only proceed with claim process like any average person would have to. I'm fully committed to getting the money back for his damaged item from Canada Post and sending it to him as soon as it comes. Canada Post even said they would be reaching out to the buyer to get the pictures of the damaged item.

My question basically is, am I obligated to returns this guys money? I thought once you hand over a package to the courier service, it's their responsibility and that's why they offer additional insurance (which I paid for)? I'm obviously not trying to scam him but is he required to wait just like I am because this is the official process we have to use to make a claim for damaged goods?

Looking for thoughts.
20 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10971 posts
5804 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Let's see those pictures!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Dec 24, 2010
16 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
From my experience as a top seller as well as gold seller on ebay for 6 years....

You are responsible for the item until it reaches the buyer (in the same condition advertised). The item reached the customer not in the same condition as it was advertised thus you are responsible for refunding him. It doesn't matter if it was Canada Post's fault, ebay's fault, your dog's fault, or the mail man's fault. The buyer did not get what he paid for, as simple as that.

Your beef is not with the buyer, your beef is with Canada Post. The way you are looking at it is that you want Canada Post to refund you and then you refund the person... it doesn't work like that, the buyerdoesn't have to wait for the Canada Post refund. Even if you don't get a refund from CP (which I think you will if you paid for insurance), you still have to refund him.

I cannot even tell you how many times this has happened to me with Canada Post. This is why I only ship with FedEx if the item costs more than $300, and if its between $80-$299 I always ALWAYS buy insurance through Canada Post.

I hope that you didn't use the online ticketing system and you actually called Canada Post regarding this. They seem to only cooperate through the phone. I would recommend calling Canada Post daily until they refund you... ask to be transferred to the higher ups as sometime you get those rookies who don't know what they are doing.

Its funny, I could swear that my packages only gets destroyed with Canada Post if I put a fragile sticker on it. It is like they do it on purpose, they are absolutely useless and I really hope purolator takes over.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
2185 posts
678 upvotes
Wow, really eh....

So do I have to refund him the shipping costs as well?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
2185 posts
678 upvotes
And also, if the damage was done by USPS, how would Canada Post know this?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13749 posts
3985 upvotes
Montreal
if canada post refunds you, they will also refund the shipping charges, but like others said, if they refuse, you owe the item price + shipping costs to the buyer.

the buyer knows this and is being a bit of a jerk, and just nicely tell him that canada post is looking into it, and to be patient, as no matter what, he's getting his money back. also advise him to keep the item on-hand, and to NOT send it back, as USPS may want to look it over and potentially take ownership of the item for resale if a refund is given.

treat this like a car accident under investigation by your insurance company. don't resell the car, don't ship it somewhere else, don't scrap it, just be patient.
FourDollarama Shut Down My RFD Customer Experience Thread!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5333 posts
3149 upvotes
Actually, the buyer has to ship it back and pay for return shipping. That is what PayPal will say if he opens a dispute. There is a lot of people who were asked to return the item to China, Europe etc. that you can read even on RFD.

On top of that, Canada Post may ask you to get the package back before they continue with your insurance claim. That's what happened when a package I sent to the US was damaged.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
2185 posts
678 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 4:38 pm
Actually, the buyer has to ship it back and pay for return shipping. That is what PayPal will say if he opens a dispute. There is a lot of people who were asked to return the item to China, Europe etc. that you can read even on RFD.

On top of that, Canada Post may ask you to get the package back before they continue with your insurance claim. That's what happened when a package I sent to the US was damaged.
Paypal did tell me this over the phone as I consulted with them before I proceeded with anything. I seriously doubt the guy is going to pay for return shipping from the states to Canada on this product so I hope it doesn't go that ugly route and Canada Post just reimburses for the damage
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1417 posts
602 upvotes
London
Canada post will contact the buy and request him to send them the pictures. they will probly contact u and request u send them the proof of value the amount u sold it for. Canada post will probly in about a months time cut u a check witch will be the full value if u paid for that much insurance or $100 if u didn't. they will also give u a full refund for the amount it cost to ship it to the person. Canada post will not require the item to be sent back. once u get the money from Canada post I would then give the buyer his full refund.

if u have any issues with Canada post contact heather.culbertson@canadapost.ca she works in the vps office and she will help get things sorted for u.

once u have refund him also make sure to send a cancel transaction request though ebay so u get ur final value fees refund and I think this also makes it so he cant leave a bad feedback for you.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3005 posts
1017 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
Needanipod wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 4:03 pm
they are absolutely useless and I really hope purolator takes over.
Hah! That's a good one. There is no one in the parcel business more useless than Purolator. You will be sorry if you get your wish.

To the OP..... are you sure the disc producer in the pictures is the one you sent? You don't suppose your buyer had a broken one sitting around, do you? :twisted:
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
2986 posts
684 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
It would still be your responsibility to ensure the package is received in the order you had shipped. That's because you chose canada post as a courier to ship to the buyer.

It is what it is. Hopefully you can get your money from CP but it will take a while. I've had this happened before and it took 2 months.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Apr 18, 2008
326 posts
88 upvotes
If the buyer opens an ebay dispute to return the item, ebay will make the decision to allow the buyer to return the item if the item is arrived damaged. In this situation, ebay will rule that the seller is responsible for return shipping cost. After the ruling, buyer will receive a shipping label from ebay to send the item back to you. The shipping label cost will be deducted from your ebay account. After tracking shows the item is returned to you, ebay will automatically refund the buyer the whole amount, item cost including shipping cost, if you do not refund the buyer within a set number of days.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14150 posts
4103 upvotes
Here 'n There
JackWhyte wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 4:19 pm
if canada post refunds you, they will also refund the shipping charges, but like others said, if they refuse, you owe the item price + shipping costs to the buyer.

the buyer knows this and is being a bit of a jerk, and just nicely tell him that canada post is looking into it, and to be patient, as no matter what, he's getting his money back. also advise him to keep the item on-hand, and to NOT send it back, as USPS may want to look it over and potentially take ownership of the item for resale if a refund is given.

treat this like a car accident under investigation by your insurance company. don't resell the car, don't ship it somewhere else, don't scrap it, just be patient.
The OP sounds like more of a jerk to me. As someone already mentioned the way it works is the buyer didn't get what he bought and should be refunded immediately. What part of that don't you get?
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14150 posts
4103 upvotes
Here 'n There
JackWhyte wrote:
Aug 9th, 2016 4:19 pm

The OP sounds like more of a jerk to me. As someone already mentioned the way it works is the buyer didn't get what he bought and should be refunded immediately. On top of that there is no advantage to the OP keeping the buyers money when, as you said, 'no matter what he's getting his money back'. So, what part of that don't you get?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
2185 posts
678 upvotes
I really am trying to understand how I am responsible when the package is damaged by the courier service?

Do they think that the condition I sent the package in was poor? There's video evidence of me dropping off the package at the post office in the perfect condition it was in before it was damaged.

It doesn't make sense that I would be responsible... the Buyer seems to have calmed down for a bit as we wait for this process to complete...

I am going to try an escalate it day by day.