It's so hard to find a job as a MSc new grad in Vancouver

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2012 8:57 am
[OP]
May 14, 2012
1 posts
COQUITLAM

It's so hard to find a job as a MSc new grad in Vancouver

I graduated from a MSc in Biochemistry last Aug and moved to Vancouver hoping to launch a job here. So far I think I've applied for more than 200 jobs. I've also been trying to network by going to various events. Had 3 in person interviews and 2 phone interviews since last July. I'm even willing to enroll in an unpaid internship just to get experience. But things I've been doing didn't seem to work. And I feel very scared, discouraged and lost now. Can anybody here help me please?
22 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2448 posts
389 upvotes
MavisY wrote: I graduated from a MSc in Biochemistry last Aug and moved to Vancouver hoping to launch a job here. So far I think I've applied for more than 200 jobs. I've also been trying to network by going to various events. Had 3 in person interviews and 2 phone interviews since last July. I'm even willing to enroll in an unpaid internship just to get experience. But things I've been doing didn't seem to work. And I feel very scared, discouraged and lost now. Can anybody here help me please?

What skills/experiences do you have?
Aug 19, 2002
231 posts
22 upvotes
Hate to tell you, but there's not many job prospects for young people in Vancouver. That's why I got out of there and moved to Alberta. Income tripled overnight.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1741 posts
222 upvotes
bomba wrote: Hate to tell you, but there's not many job prospects for young people in Vancouver. That's why I got out of there and moved to Alberta. Income tripled overnight.

Well triple 0 is still 0...but nice to hear!

OP I'm sure as bomba pointed out you could get a job in the oil industry assuming you have a chemistry masters.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13814 posts
1327 upvotes
I think it's amazing that you've got an M.Sc. in biochemistry. I have much respect for people who can take a science degree to that level and in a respectful and challenging field. Why employers fail to share my sense of admiration I may never know.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Apr 27, 2011
114 posts
12 upvotes
You're in a very un-employeable group. I could break your title down as follows:

-It's so hard to find a job in Vancouver
-It's so hard to find a job as a MSc
-It's so hard to find a job as a new grad
-It's so hard to find a job with no relevant experience
-It's so hard to find a job when you believe that education is the key to success in the work force

I believe that you've hit a dead end. You can improve your employment prospects if you go back to school for something with higher job prospects (pharmacy for example) or try to find another field to work in.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13814 posts
1327 upvotes
^ That's rather defeatist, is it not? That list could go on forever, no matter who you are.

Here we have someone who is among the top 8% educated in Canada (and given the difficulty of the field I'd put that number much higher) and we're telling him he's unemployable because he didn't pick one of the three or four hot majors that happen to be vogue right now?

Has it really come down to saying that the only people eligible for employment are those who meet several ideal conditions?
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2009
1469 posts
254 upvotes
Get out of metropolitan areas - simple as that. Move to Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and you'll be picked up pretty quickly. Why not see what is available there and apply. You don't have to take it but having you can't live without income forever.
Apr 27, 2011
114 posts
12 upvotes
Ok, maybe I could've have been a bit more optimistic, but the OP hasn't set himself up for success to the extent that some people his age do. He's lacking in experience and in knowledge of the job searching process and is confounding these problems by searching in a competitive market.

The OP hasn't fully outlined what he has done in much detail, but if I were him, here's about what I might try. Get a job waiting tables. This will free up your days and allow you to make some money and network. The free days are key. During the days you can go to interviews, talk with business people, volunteer and meet with employment counselors (school or government, they're usually free). I would first try to track down a few people that have the job OP wants using linkedin or other places on the internet, meet up with them and ask them lots of questions. If you can't get paid work experience, try to get relevant volunteer experience, then start trading up.

OP seems to personify this article pretty well: www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/m ... le2432419/
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
niroopg wrote: Get out of metropolitan areas - simple as that. Move to Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and you'll be picked up pretty quickly. Why not see what is available there and apply. You don't have to take it but having you can't live without income forever.

Biochemist in Saskatchewan or Manitoba? :lol:
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2009
1469 posts
254 upvotes
Mark77 wrote: Biochemist in Saskatchewan or Manitoba? :lol:

LOL. Its gotta be better than metropolitan areas.
Jan 29, 2010
777 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto
Any work experience? First thing that came to my mind is over-qualification. But I also remember my science friends telling me it's normal to do a master before getting any work experience in science.

And I've searched for work in Vancouver before, so I understand how hard it is relative to other places.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8934 posts
1170 upvotes
Move to California. They got a big base of these companies who need your skills.
Nov 15, 2008
800 posts
218 upvotes
Mark77 wrote: Biochemist in Saskatchewan or Manitoba? :lol:

yeah it's hilarious! saskatchewan is booming and has world class quality research programs and facilities in the life sciences while Manitoba has one of the world's only level 4 labs. Vancouver has insite. so funny!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
8203 posts
523 upvotes
I have no idea of the job market for that kind of education but I'd say if your area is hiring in that sector then the only option (if you still want to pursue this as a career) is to locate somewhere that has more options.

"I think it's amazing that you've got an M.Sc. in biochemistry. I have much respect for people who can take a science degree to that level and in a respectful and challenging field. Why employers fail to share my sense of admiration I may never know."

It's all all about adding value to the business... his career outlooks I assume in this field is very narrow.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com