Home & Garden

it's too cold in my apartment, how can i make it warmer?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2019 8:10 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
240 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto

it's too cold in my apartment, how can i make it warmer?

OK so my apartment has central heating which isn't adequate for me - at the moment it's 20 C inside. I use a space heater as well. I've got two, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. They've got 2 settings, one for 750 watts, one for 1500. I've found that if I put both on the max setting my house loses power, so obviously the circuits cant handle that load.

I'm wondering how I can make my place warmer? There's no fireplace here. Putting a heater on 1500 W is doing the job when I'm near it, but not when I'm a bit further away. I wonder if a different heater would help somehow, though I'm not sure how it would.

Any suggestions?

PS - one idea I've played with in my head, though I'm not sure how practical it would be; my living room is pretty small, about 300 sq feet. But I spend most of my time in half of it, where the computer and reading chair is. If there was a way to trap the heat in this half of the room that might make things easier. This half also happens to be next to the window / sliding glass door, so I'm probably losing quite a bit of heat to that.
41 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29724 posts
4532 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Wear two T-Shirts and a sweater

If you want to invest in a new heater, get the Presto from Costco
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3933 posts
1054 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
OIl filled heater, like DeLonghi for about $150 or less. Since you mention electrical load issues then would have same problems with this.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1305 posts
454 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Do you own or rent? Pay the utilities directly or not?
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2109 posts
487 upvotes
Windsor
bigdan wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:38 pm
OK so my apartment has central heating which isn't adequate for me - at the moment it's 20 C inside. I use a space heater as well. I've got two, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. They've got 2 settings, one for 750 watts, one for 1500. I've found that if I put both on the max setting my house loses power, so obviously the circuits cant handle that load.

I'm wondering how I can make my place warmer? There's no fireplace here. Putting a heater on 1500 W is doing the job when I'm near it, but not when I'm a bit further away. I wonder if a different heater would help somehow, though I'm not sure how it would.

Any suggestions?

PS - one idea I've played with in my head, though I'm not sure how practical it would be; my living room is pretty small, about 300 sq feet. But I spend most of my time in half of it, where the computer and reading chair is. If there was a way to trap the heat in this half of the room that might make things easier. This half also happens to be next to the window / sliding glass door, so I'm probably losing quite a bit of heat to that.
If you are limited by about 3000w into your entire apartment before you start tripping breakers, you're screwed on the "making more heat" front (your space heaters are basically 100% efficient, so no alternate technology that still uses electricity is going to help, regardless of what people say).

So, your only option is "reduce the amount of heat lost" front. I have no idea what your apartment looks like, but usual culprits are windows and doors (namely something like a sliding patio door, which you mention you have). No idea how you'd mitigate the air leaks in your situation, but usually plastic wrapping the windows is pretty easy and effective if your windows are drafty. With the sliding door, you might want to look at ensuring the seals are not damaged.

Another option is to "move the heat to a more useful place"; all of your heat is at your ceilings, so turning your ceiling fan to "blow down", which will help mix the warm air up top with the cooler air at the floor.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8756 posts
7420 upvotes
Oakville
Complain to the tenant board if the landlord won't supply adequate heating.

Otherwise, put plastic sheets over the windows.
You could also leave your oven on if you want to ghetto heat your place.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
240 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
georvu wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 5:39 pm
OIl filled heater, like DeLonghi for about $150 or less.
With an oil-filled heater does that mean it's not electric at all or something else? I saw one earlier but it had an electric cord so I'm not sure. I assume there's no fumes with this and is safe indoors?
Since you mention electrical load issues then would have same problems with this.
Was this a typo or are you saying it would have the same issues that I'm already having?
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
240 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 5:44 pm
Do you own or rent? Pay the utilities directly or not?
Rent, pay my own utilities
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
240 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
lennyandcarl wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 6:56 pm
Why not just turn up the heat?
Central heating is at full blast and that makes it 20 C. Someone mentioned above that thats warm. Maybe. For me it's cool.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
240 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 6:39 pm
Complain to the tenant board if the landlord won't supply adequate heating.

Otherwise, put plastic sheets over the windows.
You could also leave your oven on if you want to ghetto heat your place.
Is that safe?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8756 posts
7420 upvotes
Oakville
bigdan wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:17 pm
Is that safe?
Plastic sheets you just buy at Home Depot.

If it's safe to cook for then it's safe to leave on. Just crack it open and don't leave it unattended.

Are you in a house converted to apartments?

Is there another circuit you can put one of the heaters to prevent blowing the circuit? Does the stove have a plug?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1855 posts
598 upvotes
B.C.
bigdan wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:16 pm
Central heating is at full blast and that makes it 20 C. Someone mentioned above that thats warm. Maybe. For me it's cool.
Is it broken? Is it running constantly? What is the thermostat set at? What kind of unit provides the central heating?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8011 posts
1301 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Furnace not working or severely undersized? Although if you can't get above 20C with the electric heaters then the apartment is probably leaking heat too fast and needs insulation.

20C is warm though. Put on a sweater if you need to.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)