Oct 8, 2009
144 posts

Re: I've been sold a camera with a broken mount

53 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
Sounds like it was damaged after you purchased it. Perhaps transporting it home?

Find a local repair centre and hope it's not too expensive.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
Camera warranties are not usually transferable...
Deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
How did you inspect the lens without taking it off the camera?

Wait I'm confused, you met up with the guy but you had it shipped?
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1880 posts
124 upvotes
B0000rt wrote: How did you inspect the lens without taking it off the camera?

Wait I'm confused, you met up with the guy but you had it shipped?
It would seem inconsistency when he posts might be typical. I remember the "Vistek" thread he started where he was talking about getting a 1DsMk3 and telling people he shot some photos that went on the BBC news site. Got a bit heated.

Not looking at the inconsistency about shipping and meet up. Why would anyone pay for something he "checked" which showed up errors?

And no receipt/proof of purchase date = no warranty.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3172 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga
Without proper proof of purchase from a retailer, you are SOL for warranty. Why would you even file a police report? They'll look at you funny and say they can't do anything about it. If you really want to file a report, try the BBB instead. :razz:
Aug 27, 2009
319 posts
3 upvotes
TO
VMalska wrote: BBB...uhuh...I've been given advice to go down the "got it as a gift" route...A police report...mhm of course I can file...as in the fact that this is definitely fraud.

I've been asked for pics...I'll get on it to give you guys a clue of where I'm at.
How can you file a police report if you "got it as a gift"?
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3172 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga
VMalska wrote: BBB...uhuh...I've been given advice to go down the "got it as a gift" route...A police report...mhm of course I can file...as in the fact that this is definitely fraud.

I've been asked for pics...I'll get on it to give you guys a clue of where I'm at.
Well you can go the got it as a gift route but I'm sure repair depots heard that before as with every other shady tactics and lies (BBB line was sarcastic BTW). If it is a fraud and he sold you a faulty camera, why not deal with the seller first? Why try to file a fraud case with the police (which I'm betting they won't do anything at all)?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes

Unless the seller was grossly inaccurate in his/her descriptions/representations, your case is worth nothing to a prosecutor. Police generally do not get involved in civil actions.

"Got it as a gift," would be a false statement. What good does that do? Sony is not stupid, Im sure they love fraud as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2007
1881 posts
71 upvotes
GTA
VMalska wrote: As far as dealing with the seller goes, he...erhm...cannot be reached.
That's a pretty good sign that you've been scammed. Don't know much about what you can do about it besides going to Sony and paying for repairs and take it as a lesson learned.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
That's why you buy Canon and not Sony.. :) ;) :D
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
The pictures aren't good, but it looks like the AF motor screw is sticking out far too much. Does the lens release button move it at all?
kay188 wrote: That's why you buy Canon and not Sony.. :) ;) :D
These types of damages are not limited to any one brand :rolleyes:
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
rayt- wrote: That's a pretty good sign that you've been scammed. Don't know much about what you can do about it besides going to Sony and paying for repairs and take it as a lesson learned.
And what happens when Sony runs the serial number and discovers a stolen camera?
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
6 upvotes
Markham/Kingston
VMalska wrote: I might go to Sun Camera...there's something about dealing with local repair centres that appeals to me. They might actually accept the warranty.

As far as his actions, at least I know what he was thinking.

He busted the mount (I say mount because I hope to dear God the lenses' mounts are fine) and didn't want to pay for it because he didn't use the camera.

By the time I repair the mount (once again, hopefully "mount"), it will bring me up to the cost of a new one...which isn't that bad because the camera is in mint condition (it's evident it hasn't exactly been used). I'll take it as a lesson learned and buy from stores.
Sun Camera repairs only Canon cameras. Probably why you got the "That's why you buy Canon and not Sony" comment.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
6 upvotes
Markham/Kingston
VMalska wrote: uhh...I give all the information I know about the guy, all our communications and everything...to the Police^^...Also, if it's a stolen camera...that's no damn good.
Also if the camera is stolen the confiscate it and you lose everything.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
Just squeeze it back in if you have no choice.. Then duck tape your lens to the body to secure it.. Just saying lol. Your SOL

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)