Careers

I've got an interview with the Federal Government next week (Service Canada)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2015 12:42 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 28, 2012
964 posts
345 upvotes
QC
Is the OP one of those many people trying to get in on the public service gravy train ?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
Flitox wrote: Is the OP one of those many people trying to get in on the public service gravy train ?
The OP is from almost 7 years ago. I would assume he has landed a job somewhere by now.
Apr 15, 2014
5 posts
Toronto, ON
NoJa25 wrote: Hey Yellowblob,

Thanks for the kind wishes. The PSRS website was at least updated. Hopefully this means there are still interviews being scheduled. Hoping for the best for you as well and maybe we might be colleagues one day.
Hi Noja25!

Let us continue our wishful thinking! As the posting was closed on the 19th, the status is now the infamous: "Your application has been referred for a more in-depth review..." I don't know whether that is a good sign on my written exam or it has nothing to do with the written exam and that my application on the surface was just screened it. The anticipation makes me die a little inside.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
yellowblob wrote: Hi Noja25!

Let us continue our wishful thinking! As the posting was closed on the 19th, the status is now the infamous: "Your application has been referred for a more in-depth review..." I don't know whether that is a good sign on my written exam or it has nothing to do with the written exam and that my application on the surface was just screened it. The anticipation makes me die a little inside.
It just means your initial application was screened in.
Oct 8, 2012
520 posts
131 upvotes
TORONTO
Service Canada jobs already outsourced , 21 ST Clair Av Toronto Building. Hush hush! Harpo.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7185 upvotes
Calgary
handsomepolack wrote: Service Canada jobs already outsourced , 21 ST Clair Av Toronto Building. Hush hush! Harpo.
what's that about?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
It's no big secret that outsourcing is happening. It's part of the pattern - jobs eliminated = more outsourcing. Check out the multi-billion dollar tenders for property/facilities management.
May 3, 2006
195 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga
NoJa25 wrote: Hey Enigmatik,

Hope you did well on your exam. I too took the PSO exam on the 14th and i thought I did very well on the exam, however, I didn't hear back for an interview yet and I know the posting closes tomorrow. Did you hear back? Anyone else hear back for an interview for the PSO position?
Hey NoJa25, I believe I did very well on the exam. I really think it also tested time management as well since I heard from others they felt they did not have enough time to construct formidable responses to the questions. But yes, I am hoping to hear back as well for an interview. It could be a slow process.
Apr 15, 2014
5 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard back for the PSO interviews? My PM-02 friend at Service Canada says the process may be delayed because they are going through some changes right now. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything back at all. :(
Apr 17, 2014
3 posts
York, ON
Hey Yellowblob,

I got an email<today> telling me of an interview on May 16th. Hope you got/will get an email too soon.
May 3, 2006
195 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga
I was told decisions would be made on which applicants would be making it to the qualified pool by the end of May. Hopefully, good news will come soon after.
Apr 15, 2014
5 posts
Toronto, ON
NoJa25 wrote: Hey Yellowblob,

I got an email<today> telling me of an interview on May 16th. Hope you got/will get an email too soon.
Hi NoJa25,

It seems I did not make it as I wasn't invited for the interview, haha. Fortunately, I had just accepted an offer with one of the Big 4, funny how that worked out! All the best for you and everyone in the future. I must say, private selection process is MUCH faster than that of public.

Good luck!
Feb 18, 2011
74 posts
9 upvotes
Good day,

What do you mean by SOmetimes they use a top-down ranking system?? Thanks

ClubberLang wrote: I applied online. I've been applying to every possible position for about a year. For a call centre, the pay is great. You start at 22.15/hr, but I'm sure the stress is insane.

From what I've hear, getting in at the Provincial Government is basically dependent on knowing someone. For entry level positions at the Federal Government it's a totally different story. They prescreen applications based on your resume and answers to questionairres. Then they admininister competency testing. SOmetimes they use a top-down ranking system. For others they establish a cutoff scorce. Then there's an interview. For most of them you are expected to do research on the department.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2009
2432 posts
674 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Onicka61 wrote: Good day,

What do you mean by SOmetimes they use a top-down ranking system?? Thanks
The test scores are ranked from highest to lowest and the first x number of candidates are invited to the next stage; the others are sent packing.
Feb 18, 2011
74 posts
9 upvotes
Thank you!
JMoreno wrote: The test scores are ranked from highest to lowest and the first x number of candidates are invited to the next stage; the others are sent packing.
Apr 6, 2015
10 posts
4 upvotes
Gloucester, ON
Onicka61 wrote: Thank you!
Hey guys,

I know this thread is super old but I learned a lot from your comments and was wondering if you can give me some advice as well. I'm in the running for an AS-1 position w/the fed. So far they made me pass 2 language tests, 3 other exams (competency + office skills), did the interview in December, references were checked after the holidays and i just completed the oral language test 2 weeks ago (got exempted form all 3). Does anyone know if at this point there could be any other testing or interviews.

Also, is it fair to say that the pool i'm in is a "fully assessed" pool or would there still be more testing required before an offer is made. I'm coming from the private so I really don't know what to expect (and pretty surprised i made it this far with no coaching tbh lol)

any feedback would help with this agonizing wait..

best,

C
Jun 7, 2015
1 posts
Bathurst, NB
Hey!

I got into a similar AS-01 pool (I'm actually still in) and did pretty much all the same things as you! However, I highly doubt it's a fully assessed pool (the interview was sort of generic on my end). I'm pretty sure hiring managers will try to pick out the best fits for the positions they need to fill from the pool, and maybe assess you some more. Was it a long interview? Or was it a short telephone interview?

The process of getting into a government can be so tedious, but something will eventually come up.

Either way, I wish you all the best! I just got offered a position with the federal government (not from that AS-01 pool), so I'm glad to be done with the process.

Good luck!
Aug 14, 2011
38 posts
21 upvotes
AJAX
I just realized this post was started almost 10 years ago... ridiculous.