Personal Finance

I've had it with Scotiabank (SCENE Visa)!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2014 1:15 pm
Jun 25, 2009
378 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto

I've had it with Scotiabank (SCENE Visa)!

So about three months ago, I applied for a Scotiabank SCENE Visa card. I'm a graduate student, have a good income (from scholarships), and I like the SCENE Visa card because I like to watch movies. :) Anyway, when I first applied, they pre-approved me for a $5000 credit limit, which is much lower than what I get. (I already have a CIBC Aerogold with a $18k limit and an Amex without a pre-spending limit, so that $5000 was quite low to me.) When I received my card like a few weeks after, the letter said my credit limit was merely $1100. I was shocked, but I thought I would show them that I'm a good customer and paying my balance back every month.

Well, I guess that didn't help. After three months with the SCENE Visa, I requested a credit limit increasee -- a moderate one to $5000 (I guess from $1100 to $18000 would be *too* big of a leap, lol). They requested I fax them my income verification. I sent in my T4s -- which was what they said I could use, but of course, the T4s are from 2008. Two days ago, this Scotiabank customer rep called me, saying that they won't accept it. Being a graduate student, I told them I can't get any income verification (nor any income at all) until school starts again in September. I asked him if he could do anything for me. He said no. I threatened to cancel my credit card, and he said, "okay, I'll transfer you to the cancellation department."

Okay, so maybe with a $1100 credit limit, my credit card isn't worth that much to them. (I hung up when they transferred me, since I do like the card.) But is that anyway to treat a customer? Surely when they check my credit score, they know I'm a good customer. If I didn't like the SCENE program personally, they would've lost me as a customer.

Any bad customer service experiences with Canadian credit cards? CIBC and Amex are so much better, CS-wise. Scotiabank acts like they don't care.

I guess my other question is: I generally hate dealing with people on the phone. Do you think someone at a branch (teller, or those "personal financial managers/reps) can help me in-person?

Thanks.
66 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7755 posts
3651 upvotes
OK ... just to understand here ... you have no other income besides the scholarships? And you expect a high limit on the card?

I personally don't see what the problem is. If your only source of income is coming from scholarships, then I would say you have more then sufficient amount of credit available to you for how much you 'make'.
[OP]
Jun 25, 2009
378 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, maybe I should mention I have a $30,000 scholarship, plus I do side-jobs that put me into $40,000. I also *own* a condo in d/t Toronto. But never mind how much I earn, I get respect from CIBC and Amex (as much as some people might not like these banks), but I didn't get any from Scotiabank, like they didn't even want me as a customer. That's my beef.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
62 upvotes
euges720 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2009 11:11 am
Yeah, maybe I should mention I have a $30,000 scholarship, plus I do side-jobs that put me into $40,000. But never mind how much I earn, I get respect from CIBC and Amex (as much as some people might not like these banks), but I didn't get any from Scotiabank, like they didn't even want me as a customer. That's my beef.
Two different credit granting policies. I have a $22K limit on my CIBC Visa and also have an AMEX charge card, meanwhile I cancelled my Scotiabank Visa a few months back, which had a $1K limit. CIBC gave these limits to me automatically, when Scotiabank asked me to produce a few different slips for income verification just to get a $1K student Visa and never offered to increase the limit. Banks are smartening up and realizing credit scores aren't everything and that ability to pay (income) is much more important than some superficial number. TD's pre approval system used to be so messed up that they gave $20K limit cards to students with no income, but that's been fixed.

If you don't like it, take your business elsewhere, that's all I can say. Many banks don't really care if you leave these days it seems.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
7260 posts
128 upvotes
Eh, screw em.

1000 points for 1 free ticket ? $1 = 1 pt ? That's too slow for me.

Go buy discount movie ticket packages instead. They can be found for $7-9 a ticket.

Go use your Aerogold and save up Aeroplan points instead. Believe me, the older you get, the more you will travel. Whether it be vacations or someone you know is getting married in the States, Europe, Asia, etc.

You are paying $120/yr for Aerogold right? May as well make that worth while.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
2135 posts
127 upvotes
Anytime I have an issue at the bank, I email the ombudsman. You want to watch people jump, give ombuddy a shout. Now that they have me on record as being a whiner willing to write the ombudsman and CEO, they treat me like gold when I phone.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
553 upvotes
euges720 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2009 11:11 am
Yeah, maybe I should mention I have a $30,000 scholarship, plus I do side-jobs that put me into $40,000. I also *own* a condo in d/t Toronto. But never mind how much I earn, I get respect from CIBC and Amex (as much as some people might not like these banks), but I didn't get any from Scotiabank, like they didn't even want me as a customer. That's my beef.
So your beef is that you are upset because you can't show proof of income to Scotia Bank?

I don't see how the bank is in the wrong at all here. You say you have XXYY income, they asked you for proof, you don't have any. They say sorry.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
And let's not forget that for the income you have they are seeing far too much available credit on the cards you have, hence the lower limit when they issued the card. Lower the limits on the other cards and solve your problem...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
3843 posts
1365 upvotes
Vancouver
Everyone knows Scotia is a joke. Welcome to the club. No one can figure out who exactly does business with Scotia? What is their demographic? Pricks?

Scotia is by far the worst bank. Actually I know who does business with them, other crappy businesses. I have my 0% car loan with Scotia, because that's who Ford uses. Trying to get anything done it a joke, I just go directly into the branch now and ask for the most senior member before even trying to change my loan info.

I had a similiar experience also with a credit card. I applied for Scotia Momentum, got the same letter (you're approved for $5000). I guess it's just a standard letter they send out. So I faxed in my paystub, hear nothing back, phone a couple of days later and the chick on the other end tells me that I was declined because I have a car loan with them? huh? You mean the car loan that I've paid off perfectly for 2 years. Then she changed her story and said that it was because my credit utilization was too high, then she pretty much pushed me off the phone. It was the oddest conversation ever. This, compared to when I signed up for a TD chequing account, they offered me a $3500 credit card at the same time with no additional credit checks. Scotia is just a silly bank, they only want to deal with businessess.
Jun 29, 2008
835 posts
26 upvotes
I ain't surprised. I have had a similar situation with Scotia where they declined me for credit card application, but at the same time I had two other credit cards with BMO and CTF. Since then I was like forget it.
[OP]
Jun 25, 2009
378 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
The reply about my limit on my other cards being too high, that might be why, I agree. Oh well.

I've applied for quite a few credit cards in my young life (yes, not a good sign, lol), and Scotiabank's application process was like a marathon. So many steps to go through. I understand that, especially today, credit checks and employment/income checks are needed, but still, Scotiabank is just taking that way too far, it seems.

I guess I'll just have to wait 'till school starts again before I can get a income verification letter.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
3843 posts
1365 upvotes
Vancouver
euges720 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2009 6:18 pm
The reply about my limit on my other cards being too high, that might be why, I agree. Oh well.

I've applied for quite a few credit cards in my young life (yes, not a good sign, lol), and Scotiabank's application process was like a marathon. So many steps to go through. I understand that, especially today, credit checks and employment/income checks are needed, but still, Scotiabank is just taking that way too far, it seems.

I guess I'll just have to wait 'till school starts again before I can get a income verification letter.
Or you could just choose not to deal with scotia. They're a bunch of **** heads. If you think getting a credit card is hard, just imagine how difficult they will make everyday business.

Scotia = worst bank
PCF = worst "financial institution"
Oct 25, 2007
559 posts
147 upvotes
funny, I had almost the opposite experience.. i bank with TD and had all my money in there (until I discovered ING).. I kept asking for a cc but because im a new immigrant they wouldnt give me one. After about a year I finally got them to give me a crappy rebate rewards visa with a $1000 limit BUT I had to deposit $1000 in a GIC for 18 months to guarantee it!

A month later SB offered me the scene visa w $5K and I took it as only having an amex is not livable in Canada and $1000 limit is a joke. Last week I went to TD for a mortgage preapproval. when she asked about my CCs she asked why I had one w SB.. I explained " well you guys wont give me any kind of workable limit so I had to go elsewhere but I would much prefer to stay with TD and hate SB customer service so if you can work with me and raise my limit, I will cancel the Scene card" She just ignored me and carried on with the mortgage stuff.. I mentioned it again at the end but she pretended to ignore me again..
so they lost my credit and my mortgage.. : )))
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28313 posts
821 upvotes
We have a household income of well over $100k, but I don't want a limit above $5000. Between us, we have three cards, and only once (for three months when we moved) did we ever put more than $5000 on our cards (combined). We don't believe in spending more than we have, nor are we "big spenders" :lol:
Hail Eris!
Oct 25, 2007
559 posts
147 upvotes
hagbard wrote:
Jul 6th, 2009 7:43 pm
We have a household income of well over $100k, but I don't want a limit above $5000. Between us, we have three cards, and only once (for three months when we moved) did we ever put more than $5000 on our cards (combined). We don't believe in spending more than we have, nor are we "big spenders" :lol:
The thing is not everyone has a card and spends money they dont have. Credit cards offer other services. I have paid my bill in full at the end of the month every single time since I first got a cc but I buy a lot of plane tickets and large items and prefer the comfort and security of using a credit card rather than cash/interac. I was with a friend last week who bought $3000 of furniture on interac.. I was amazed as it wouldnt cross my mind to not put that on a cc and get some miles/points as a bonus as well as buyers security if the price goes up etc.
When I lived in the states I put everything on my amex and probably only used cash for about $10 a month.. I got a free plane ticket to England within a year.
× < >