Real Estate

Ivy Ridge Homes (Whitby) camp out!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2019 6:51 pm
Jan 6, 2012
303 posts
85 upvotes
dpacto wrote: well looks like these builders are still delusional

my uncle went today and he waited a bit to get in but he said lots of people weren't signing up. He passed on it.

$619000 for 1800 sq ft end unit townhouse

Can get a detached house now in the same area for around $650k no development charges and no worrying in 2-3 years if the market goes down that the builder won't undercut their own pricing and screw you over with your mortgage
i agree. the price is outrageous. when minto had their first opening for birkshire in oshawa, the stack/saddle towns were supposed to start at 199k...they had advertised that for MONTHS. then on the day of, after so many ppl slept overnight, they took forever to open and were busy jacking up the prices to 299k+ to start. many people walked away, others stayed. now that they are finally closing i'm sure many of those ppl are very worried. right across the street you can get 2bed/2bath freehold 3 storey town ~ 2 years new, for a few thousand more than what their one bed/one bath are starting from on assignment. omgosh i wouldn't want to be one of the people who 'booked' one of those units.

on the other hand i agree with blue solstice, its soo nice to see people out buying again, its been a very scary market for a long time. i dont know how much wind is in the sail with the reality of b20, but nonetheless the overnight lineups are a good sign that people are willing to buy homes at reasonable price points.
Mar 6, 2017
420 posts
308 upvotes
sweetlady123 wrote: i agree. the price is outrageous. when minto had their first opening for birkshire in oshawa, the stack/saddle towns were supposed to start at 199k...they had advertised that for MONTHS. then on the day of, after so many ppl slept overnight, they took forever to open and were busy jacking up the prices to 299k+ to start. many people walked away, others stayed. now that they are finally closing i'm sure many of those ppl are very worried. right across the street you can get 2bed/2bath freehold 3 storey town ~ 2 years new, for a few thousand more than what their one bed/one bath are starting from on assignment. omgosh i wouldn't want to be one of the people who 'booked' one of those units.

on the other hand i agree with blue solstice, its soo nice to see people out buying again, its been a very scary market for a long time. i dont know how much wind is in the sail with the reality of b20, but nonetheless the overnight lineups are a good sign that people are willing to buy homes at reasonable price points.
I agree it's good to see people out buying again. And also the new premium has always been there but after all the crap that's gone on this past year, the "new" premium carries a lot more risk now which most people weren't thinking about since prices had been going up for so long.

but hopefully those that decide to buy have a cushion to fall back on in case prices come down so they have someway to make up the difference in the appraisal and hopefully builders don't freak out and undercut their own prices because they're scared of being bag holders again

And hopefully prices don't go up too much so builders again can't get "financing" and have to cancel the project and relaunch it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
Prices are up 2000$ for the trellis now or 5000$ if you include the the bonus from this weekend.

Good or bad sign?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
2188 posts
1682 upvotes
EPcjay wrote: Prices are up 2000$ for the trellis now or 5000$ if you include the the bonus from this weekend.

Good or bad sign?
It is Developer greed.
Deal Expert
Feb 22, 2011
16520 posts
21864 upvotes
Toronto
J_u_n_i_o_r_3 wrote: People don't understand one of the biggest reasons RE and debt went up was cuz low interest rates...When rates start going up house prices will correct...I think Bank Of Canada will hike soon by quarter of percent ...If I believed RE wasn't over priced I would own more Canadian bank stocks.. What is Doug Ford going to do to increase prices? Even if he got rid of the foreign tax people still cannot afford houses with the OSFI stress test lol
This has nothing to do with affordability. The people who were buying $2m houses did not suddenly get priced out by OFSI. They just lost confidence in the market, why invest if you are uncertain about the future. Especially if NDP had won anyone with money was waiting to pull out. Now that sanity has been restored to the province you can expect consumer and investor confidence to return.
Jul 4, 2013
217 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rjg4235 wrote: It's not just rolling acres, pretty much anything north of Rossland is expensive in Whitby. That would include, Williamsburg, Rolling acres, North Whitby and Brooklin.
Sunday was a beautiful day for a drive so we headed east on Hwy 7 and ended up in Brooklin. Visited a few open houses and there was hardly anyone else around. Seems a lot of these properties have been expired/re-listed and/or had price reductions.

There are some beautiful homes in that area, but moving to Durham region would mean we'd have to get a pickup truck, a nipple piercing, and a neck tattoo (I keed, I keed). :)
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
2011 posts
1030 upvotes
EPcjay wrote: Prices are up 2000$ for the trellis now or 5000$ if you include the the bonus from this weekend.

Good or bad sign?
Good sign for RE. That suggest some of the people in the line up signed contracts. Not enough sold to raise price by 10%, but enough has been sold for the developer to raise price a bit. On the other hand, one could interpret this as the developer worrying that the buyer might invoke the cooling-off period and raised prices to make them feel they've made money.

We should know for sure in a month or so, when the contracts become firm.
Deal Expert
Feb 22, 2011
16520 posts
21864 upvotes
Toronto
NorthYorkEd wrote: Sunday was a beautiful day for a drive so we headed east on Hwy 7 and ended up in Brooklin. Visited a few open houses and there was hardly anyone else around. Seems a lot of these properties have been expired/re-listed and/or had price reductions.

There are some beautiful homes in that area, but moving to Durham region would mean we'd have to get a pickup truck, a nipple piercing, and a neck tattoo (I keed, I keed). :)
Lol I moved to Whitby from DT Toronto and it is true there is a massive difference, not even comparable. This guy in the next neighborhood I walk by legitimately has monster trucks on his lawn.
Banned
Feb 23, 2009
1670 posts
1496 upvotes
Oshawa
rjg4235 wrote: Lol I moved to Whitby from DT Toronto and it is true there is a massive difference, not even comparable. This guy in the next neighborhood I walk by legitimately has monster trucks on his lawn.
That's because we actually have front lawns out here in the country and they can fit a monster truck.
Deal Expert
Feb 22, 2011
16520 posts
21864 upvotes
Toronto
pkrash wrote: That's because we actually have front lawns out here in the country and they can fit a monster truck.
Oh he has a few, but yes lots of room.

I liked DT while I was young and going out a lot. Not exactly where I want to raise a family though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
poundfoolish wrote: How are schools in the area?
Looks about average. Nothing to rave about. My friend went in today and said a majority of the back to back towns are sold. However, there is still a few more blocks they are going to release. Maybe 60% of the rear lane towns are sold. Apparently price going up $5000 tomorrow. we shall see.
Jul 24, 2014
342 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Try to avoid Brooklin, it was good before,but now it's overbuilt. If u want to take 401 or Go Train, it's brutal traffic just driving down.

Unless u don't mind pay for 412 or work in York region. Whitby downtown is great, especially so e street close to the library, love these charming little houses.
Index Fund vs Individual Stock..."tigerdemi is a great man" tigerdemi said to himself in his dream.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1310 posts
761 upvotes
Oshawa
IMO, your comments may have helped when this thread was still alive...around a year ago.

tigerdemi wrote: Try to avoid Brooklin, it was good before,but now it's overbuilt. If u want to take 401 or Go Train, it's brutal traffic just driving down.

Unless u don't mind pay for 412 or work in York region. Whitby downtown is great, especially so e street close to the library, love these charming little houses.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)