• May 15th, 2017 11:03 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 17, 2013
37 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto

Jack Russel Terrier Mix Breeder

Interested in a jack russel terrier pup, anyone know of any breeders in Ontario?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2755 posts
893 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Why would breeders breed mixes? Do you want a pure Jack Russell or a mix? We got our Jack Russell mix from JRTRO (Jack Russell Rescue of Ontario). We also have a purebred Jack Russell from a breeder (but not from Ontario so can't help you there). Try the rescue. If you keep checking, they sometimes have some lovely dogs both purebred jacks and mixes.

The dog in my profile pick is my purebred Jack Russell. We also have a gorgeous mixed Jack Russell (as I said, from the rescue).

Here is our rescue boy Logan (Jack Russell mix)
Here is our purebred boy Charlie
Images
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5285 posts
592 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
I <3 my Chihuahua-Jack mix

Apr 25, 2011
561 posts
183 upvotes
British Columbia
A reputable breeder is not going to breed a mix. Mixes only come from backyard breeders and puppy mills. Avoid them at all costs. If you want a mix go to a shelter.

Have you researched the breed and spent time around it?

They're very... feisty. They have a super high prey drive. They are bred to be a hunter. You never know when those insticts might kick in when they otherwise appear to get along with another animal. They are headstrong and need a lot of exercise as well.

I will never own one again, ours was a lovey dog -- not the brightest -- but she killed anything that moved that was smaller than her (once grabbed a bird out of the air!!) and got in countless fights with racoons. She never stopped chasing the family cats and honestly should not have been left alone with them. They are simply a breed that can't be trusted with small animals and I don't want to own a dog with such strong instincts again if it can be helped.

In the time I have spent with them since having my own, I've taken note that they often make for more aggressive puppies and are a real handful because they're so headstrong. They're certainly not for a first time dog owner.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2755 posts
893 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Karala wrote:
May 11th, 2017 1:41 pm
A reputable breeder is not going to breed a mix. Mixes only come from backyard breeders and puppy mills. Avoid them at all costs. If you want a mix go to a shelter.

Have you researched the breed and spent time around it?

They're very... feisty. They have a super high prey drive. They are bred to be a hunter. You never know when those insticts might kick in when they otherwise appear to get along with another animal. They are headstrong and need a lot of exercise as well.

I will never own one again, ours was a lovey dog -- not the brightest -- but she killed anything that moved that was smaller than her (once grabbed a bird out of the air!!) and got in countless fights with racoons. She never stopped chasing the family cats and honestly should not have been left alone with them. They are simply a breed that can't be trusted with small animals and I don't want to own a dog with such strong instincts again if it can be helped.

In the time I have spent with them since having my own, I've taken note that they often make for more aggressive puppies and are a real handful because they're so headstrong. They're certainly not for a first time dog owner.
I'm surprised yours wasn't bright. I've never met a Jack Russell that wasn't a doggy genius. Ours is far too smart for his own good.

Our purebred Jack Russell has a very high prey drive, and will actually wait patiently (for hours if necessary) stalking out something. He is scary smart. He is very loving too. High energy. I take these dogs jogging with me. I would not say he can't be trusted with anything. He is smart enough to know not to kill the cats at my parents house, etc. My daughter actually had a hampster and he left it alone in it's cage. If it were in the wild he would have chased it down for sure.

Our Jack Russell mix isn't as clever. He is a goofball. His prey drive isn't as strong either, but he will chase/bark if he does see something, but unlike the other dog he won't wait for hours knowing that something may show up in that spot.

PS - My Jack Russell loves EVERYBODY. He gets along with other dogs and loves all people. You will never meet a more loving little guy. It is all in good breeding. The English/Irish Jack Russells (shorties) like mine don't tend to be as crazy as the American style (long legged).
Apr 25, 2011
561 posts
183 upvotes
British Columbia
Well, maybe she was bright in her own way, but by comparison to most of our other dogs being Poodle or Poodle mixes, she did not stack up.

We used to own mice and she would sit outside the cage intently until you removed her from the room... pretty sure just watching them was torture for her. She sure had a lot of character though and was also something of a goofball. And would eat anything.

She was the short legged, broken coat type too, which I don't see much of anymore. Most are all long legs and smooth coat.

Oh yes, and she shed like crazy. Wow. I want to avoid that in future dogs, too. Haha.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2755 posts
893 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Jack Russells are my favourite breed. I love their brains and beauty, and their spunky attitude. They are not for everyone though. You need the energy for a high energy dog. My purebred Charlie is so smart it is very hard to stay on top of him. He is clever and a problem solver. He will escape out of most anything you can devise to keep him in unless you are watching. He is scary smart. Luckily he has such a sweet personality lol. A less brainy dog would definitely be easier in some ways, that's for sure.
Apr 25, 2011
561 posts
183 upvotes
British Columbia
Chickinvic wrote:
May 11th, 2017 9:28 pm
My purebred Charlie is so smart it is very hard to stay on top of him. He is clever and a problem solver. He will escape out of most anything you can devise to keep him in unless you are watching. He is scary smart.
Well that does not describe mine. Hah... I just remembered this time we boxed her in with metal gardening supports in the grass in front and beside her and she didn't know what to do (hint: backup or jump!)... she just stood there until we removed them. Not a problem solver, that one.

I am all for intelligence and exercising a dog (I have had Poodles and currently an Australian Shepherd) but mix those requirements with the Terrier traits and I will pass. I loved my dog but I also know when they aren't the dog for me.

Anyway, OP... read these points and think long and hard if a Terrier is for you:
http://www.therealjackrussell.com/breed/baddog.php
^ And I don't think these are worst case scenario lists. They're just straight up Terrier facts.
Dec 23, 2015
22 posts
8 upvotes
Jack's are among the most common breed to end up in rescue. Cute as they may be they are extremely strong willed and are a challenge even for an experienced handler. If you have never trained a dog before I would under no circumstances recommend a Jack.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2755 posts
893 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
6060842 wrote:
May 12th, 2017 9:32 am
Jack's are among the most common breed to end up in rescue. Cute as they may be they are extremely strong willed and are a challenge even for an experienced handler. If you have never trained a dog before I would under no circumstances recommend a Jack.
It all depends on the dog, but you are right. A lot of people get them because they are so darned cute without realizing that this is not an apartment dog or purse type dog lol. This is a REAL dog that was bred to do a nasty job, in a tiny, adorable package.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2942 posts
434 upvotes
Agreed. One of our mini Dachshunds was the smartest dog our vet had ever encountered. He was most definitely a real dog in a gorgeous package - he was one hot looking guy. We rescued him - he had been in 4 homes before he was even 1 - that took some doing. All of his other owners had just though he would be an adorable dog.

Then he met us. A match made in heaven. How I miss him. He got along extremely well with Dobermans.

Actually he prepared us for our current dog who is also scary smart. There is something to be said for a dog who is only semi-smart! We had a few and they were very lovable.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2755 posts
893 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Blanche123 wrote:
May 12th, 2017 2:26 pm
Agreed. One of our mini Dachshunds was the smartest dog our vet had ever encountered. He was most definitely a real dog in a gorgeous package - he was one hot looking guy. We rescued him - he had been in 4 homes before he was even 1 - that took some doing. All of his other owners had just though he would be an adorable dog.

Then he met us. A match made in heaven. How I miss him. He got along extremely well with Dobermans.

Actually he prepared us for our current dog who is also scary smart. There is something to be said for a dog who is only semi-smart! We had a few and they were very lovable.
Agreed. My sister's golden retriever/yellow lab cross was not necessarily the smartest dog - but was so easy for her and totally trustworthy off leash, etc. A lovely girl.

My purebred Jack Russell is a total doggy genius and this requires a level of "management" for lack of a better word? It is hard to keep ahead of him. He is beyond loveable (thankfully), but there are probably many people who would rather have an easier time with a more manageable dog. I totally understand that.

Having said that, he is such a love and joy to me. He makes me laugh constantly. I enjoy a "character" or I'd NEVER get a Jack.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel