Off Topic

Jagmeet Singh, NDP Leadership Hopeful, Masterfully Handles Heckler At Brampton Event

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2017 10:15 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 8, 2013
7201 posts
237 upvotes

Jagmeet Singh, NDP Leadership Hopeful, Masterfully Handles Heckler At Brampton Event

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/09/07 ... _23200426/
Singh was speaking at one of his brilliantly named "JagMeet and Greet" events at the Professor's Lake Recreation Centre when a woman interrupted him to yell about his "sharia."

Singh is a Sikh MPP from Ontario. Sharia is a system of laws based on Islam.

In a Facebook video shared by Brampton Focus, the woman is first seen standing next to Singh and speaking to someone off camera. Most of what she says is inaudible due to the noise in the room and Singh's microphone.

"When is your sharia going to end?" the woman asks him at one point.[/quo
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
118 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1004 posts
268 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I didn't bother reading what happened, but I do have a question about this guy.
Is he the only one running for the leadership of the NDP? I say that because every time there is a media article on this leadership event, his face is the only one I've seen. I have never yet seen anyone else's face or name on a media headline.
If there are others running, then the media must have a love affair with this guy. Kind of like they had with Justin.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26234 posts
6069 upvotes
GTHA
poleman wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 11:29 pm
Is he the only one running for the leadership of the NDP?
four leadership candidates

NDP Leadership Race discussion thread
May 22, 2016
819 posts
137 upvotes
Ontario
You can't even hear anything. This is fake news.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 8, 2013
7201 posts
237 upvotes
poleman wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 11:29 pm
Is he the only one running for the leadership of the NDP? I say that because every time there is a media article on this leadership event, his face is the only one I've seen. I have never yet seen anyone else's face or name on a media headline.
If there are others running, then the media must have a love affair with this guy. Kind of like they had with Justin.
This guy have been putting in work on the ground. He is gaining popularity within the NDP. He had done alot of work for the NDP in Peel.
webshark wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 11:44 pm
You can't even hear anything. This is fake news.
Are you sure?. The woman was yelling "sharia law! sharia law!" to a Sikh. Scroll down to see the video.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5975 posts
224 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 11:52 pm
This guy have been putting in work on the ground. He is gaining popularity within the NDP. He had done alot of work for the NDP in Peel.

Are you sure?. The woman was yelling "sharia law! sharia law!" to a Sikh. Scroll down to see the video.
It's really hard to tell what she's saying but it almost sounded like she said something about him voting for sharia law.

She might be upset because Singh has been attacking his competitors over the niqab in Quebec. I know a lot of Quebec NDPs aren't excited for Singh to win the leadership because he'll basically cut the party off at the knees in Quebec. He's no Jack Layton even though he attempts to sound like him.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/08/29/ja ... -the-niqab
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... uebec.html
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14183 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto
So he's for the niqab? Too bad. I wanted to like the guy, but he's just lost my vote.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
1450 posts
138 upvotes
Pickering
Piro21 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 8:12 am
So he's for the niqab? Too bad. I wanted to like the guy, but he's just lost my vote.
Be honest for a change, he never had your vote.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26234 posts
6069 upvotes
GTHA
Piro21 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 8:12 am
Singh told the Star that he unequivocally opposes Quebec’s Bill 62, and predicted that, if passed, it would be found to contravene the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as well as Quebec’s own human rights law.

The Quebec bill would ban face coverings, such as the niqab worn by Muslim women, for people who are giving or receiving public services.

Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16454 posts
1764 upvotes
Montreal
tk1000 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 8:21 am
Singh told the Star that he unequivocally opposes Quebec’s Bill 62, and predicted that, if passed, it would be found to contravene the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as well as Quebec’s own human rights law.

The Quebec bill would ban face coverings, such as the niqab worn by Muslim women, for people who are giving or receiving public services.

He is not the only one. Plenty of lawyers in Quebec believe that bill won't stand a court challenge. Any effort to pass it unmodified is pure politics aimed at picking up the white suburban vote in and around Quebec city, smaller rural towns.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14183 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto
maddawg wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 8:14 am
Why do you assume that? I don't mind voting for Sikh candidates. They just have to have the right platform.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
1818 posts
232 upvotes
I would love for the NDP to eat away at the liberal vote! Let's go Jagr.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1472 posts
446 upvotes
the only reason why this guy is the news is because he is a visible minority, with a segment of the population that is growing. There is nothing about him that appeals to the wider population.
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4264 posts
437 upvotes
maddawg wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 8:14 am
let's be honest. this guy had your vote before you even knew what party he was in and before he spoke a single word
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5975 posts
224 upvotes
His progressiveness also usually fails when his religious beliefs clash with what's best for Canada. Such as his statement on the Ontario sex-ed system http://hansardindex.ontla.on.ca/hansard ... 0-4_2.html

Though now he's claiming that he just wanted clarification and consultation in more languages but you see in his statement pulling out the dog whistle of "age appropriateness".

If the new NDP leader can't win Quebec then you might as well not elect them. Not enough seats in the rest of Canada for the NDP to form government without Quebec.