Off Topic

Jagmeet Singh, NDP Leadership Hopeful, Masterfully Handles Heckler At Brampton Event

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2017 10:15 am
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16495 posts
1764 upvotes
Montreal
sandeeS wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:28 pm

So he wont go anywhere. Its not like all white and many non whites will back him up like they did for president Obama.
Why not? I think he will get plenty of votes. Maybe not die hard CPC votes, but much of the current NDP faithful and a good chunk of the liberal supporters. The Liberals have historically had a lock on urban ridings in large cities. If Singh can crack that it would be impressive.

Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2958 posts
186 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:30 pm
Why not? I think he will get plenty of votes. Maybe not die hard CPC votes, but much of the current NDP faithful and a good chunk of the liberal supporters. The Liberals have historically had a lock on urban ridings in large cities. If Singh can crack that it would be impressive.

so how many sikh MPs are from Montreal area?
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1321 posts
29 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:34 pm
That's a lot of mental gymnastics to try and pretend this was setup. The media made it sound like she was ignorant because she was ignorant in this situation. You can watch the video and listen to her direct quote "When is your Sharia going to end?". If you want, we can ignore the fact that she is in his face shouting directly at him unlike everyone else there. There are significantly more civil ways to ask real questions you might be concerned about.

However, you can not ignore that if she did know he was a Sikh (doubtful in my mind) she is ignorant of the fact that Sikh's don't practice Sharia Law. If she assumed he practiced Sharia law because he's brown and wears a turban so he must be a Muslim, she was ignorant on an entirely different level.

This is a person who has been to many protest (according to Rise Canada) that had nothing to do with Jagmeet Singh and somehow you still think he staged it? You can also read this article about other protests she has been part of (article). You could probably contact her directly on Facebook if you wanted and get an answer from her.
I initially thought she believed he was Muslim (because of the news reports) but then there was talk about how he supported some law and that was the reason for the outburst....anyway, this should explain it?:
https://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-s ... planation/

Perhaps, it's not a plant or 'set-up' but the incident was handled in a way that sure appeared like one. At the very least, the mainstream media readily volunteered to spin things 100% in support of Singh instead of just reporting the news - if it's news. I think people should object to that.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1321 posts
29 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:36 pm
There is a significant difference between an opportunistic photo-op and a plant. Lets not forget, that quote is from Rise Canada. Their narrative is very obvious to see.
I'm not sure what's 'obvious.' They support people's rights.....if that is the narrative, what's wrong with it?

Again, I challenge you to explain what is wrong with the premise, that politicians listen to their constituents and citizens when they want to ask questions but it rarely happens. Rarely, do the politicians allow much time for that. Could she be a bit more 'civil,' , probably. But, many politicians will remove people once the questions get too challenging or they just don't want to answer them - and when they get 'popular' enough, they have security remove the person.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2958 posts
186 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:30 pm

Only one.
Anju Dhillon: Liberal, won the Quebec constituency of Dorval-Lachine-LaSalle
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4179 posts
1172 upvotes
Kingston, ON
teleguitar wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:46 pm
Perhaps, it's not a plant or 'set-up' but the incident was handled in a way that sure appeared like one. At the very least, the mainstream media readily volunteered to spin things 100% in support of Singh instead of just reporting the news - if it's news. I think people should object to that.
It's somewhat non-political to report that a) he was heckled (or whatever you want to call a random getting in his face and trying to speak over him without listening to him) and b) he handled it with grace. For instance, I don't actually know his platform or what differentiates him from the other NDP leadership candidates from reading these articles; I only know that this incident happened.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16629 posts
1043 upvotes
Niagara Falls
teleguitar wrote:
I initially thought she believed he was Muslim (because of the news reports) but then there was talk about how he supported some law and that was the reason for the outburst....anyway, this should explain it?:

There is no perhaps about it, it categorically was not a plant as you suggested. As for how the media portrayed the event, that is up to them making the story. They are doing what will get them the most views. I will also challenge you that the media spun this story 100%. You can literally hear her shout "When is your Sharia going to end?". Was the media supposed to wait a day for Jennifer to post a follow-up video trying to explain her way out of making that statement?

Furthermore, how does opposing a ban on the burka and supporting m103 a motion that passed in the House of Commons suggest he supports Sharia law? Sharia law also doesn't allow the consumption of pork, does that mean that Christians who don't eat pork for religious reason also support and follow Sharia law? Can't drink alcohol or smoke under Sharia law, does that mean Mormons support / follow Sharia law?

Most news sources I saw simply said stated what the title about states, that Jagmeet Singh handled a heckler. That is what he did, that is what she was. Jennifer had every opportunity to sit in the crowd and ask her questions in a civil manner, instead she decided to get in Jagmeet Singh's face and shout at him.

Jagmeet Singh didn't kick her out, instead he instructed organizers to let her speak and then he dealt with her. She left on her own accord.
teleguitar wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:56 pm
I'm not sure what's 'obvious.' They support people's rights.....if that is the narrative, what's wrong with it?

Again, I challenge you to explain what is wrong with the premise, that politicians listen to their constituents and citizens when they want to ask questions but it rarely happens. Rarely, do the politicians allow much time for that. Could she be a bit more 'civil,' , probably. But, many politicians will remove people once the questions get too challenging or they just don't want to answer them - and when they get 'popular' enough, they have security remove the person.
I don't believe you challenged me in the first place. I think you were trying to deflect from the fact that it was painfully obvious that Jennifer was not a plant. That being said, the premise that politicians should listen to their constituents and citizens when they want to ask questions is perfectly fine. However, walking up to touching distance of a politician and shouting half coherent statements that make no sense in context to their face makes absolutely no sense.

Jagmeet Singh did nothing of what you're suggesting either. He didn't ignore her and he didn't have her removed. He tactfully defuse the situation and continued on.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1321 posts
29 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:37 pm
There is no perhaps about it, it categorically was not a plant as you suggested. As for how the media portrayed the event, that is up to them making the story. They are doing what will get them the most views. I will also challenge you that the media spun this story 100%. You can literally hear her shout "When is your Sharia going to end?". Was the media supposed to wait a day for Jennifer to post a follow-up video trying to explain her way out of making that statement?

Furthermore, how does opposing a ban on the burka and supporting m103 a motion that passed in the House of Commons suggest he supports Sharia law? Sharia law also doesn't allow the consumption of pork, does that mean that Christians who don't eat pork for religious reason also support and follow Sharia law? Can't drink alcohol or smoke under Sharia law, does that mean Mormons support / follow Sharia law?

Most news sources I saw simply said stated what the title about states, that Jagmeet Singh handled a heckler. That is what he did, that is what she was. Jennifer had every opportunity to sit in the crowd and ask her questions in a civil manner, instead she decided to get in Jagmeet Singh's face and shout at him.

Jagmeet Singh didn't kick her out, instead he instructed organizers to let her speak and then he dealt with her. She left on her own accord.

I don't believe you challenged me in the first place. I think you were trying to deflect from the fact that it was painfully obvious that Jennifer was not a plant. That being said, the premise that politicians should listen to their constituents and citizens when they want to ask questions is perfectly fine. However, walking up to touching distance of a politician and shouting half coherent statements that make no sense in context to their face makes absolutely no sense.

Jagmeet Singh did nothing of what you're suggesting either. He didn't ignore her and he didn't have her removed. He tactfully defuse the situation and continued on.
I said I wouldn't be surprised if it was a set up. You used the word, 'plant.'

And you are false and inaccurate with the media stories out there. They were calling her a racist or at least insinuating she was and that she thought he was muslim and spinning it in an obvious way along those lines.

Also, the media is trying to suggest that objecting to burka bans or having a contrary opinion is somehow racist.... one just has to read comments at the end of articles and you occasionally have sensible people asking questions and objecting to all this stuff, the media spin ('how is she racist to question...' etc. etc....blah, blah).

And I never said he had her removed. I said that is what typically happens.

It's also 'not painfully obvious.' Who cares if she is an activist. One can never know with people - there's lots of examples where 'fake provocateurs' or people who look like they support some view actually are in contradiction.

One needed more information but the initial news report was not 'painfully obvious.' It just showed a video of a woman interrupting and accusing the politician....'
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1321 posts
29 upvotes
Mike15 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:02 pm
It's somewhat non-political to report that a) he was heckled (or whatever you want to call a random getting in his face and trying to speak over him without listening to him) and b) he handled it with grace. For instance, I don't actually know his platform or what differentiates him from the other NDP leadership candidates from reading these articles; I only know that this incident happened.
Whatever. It doesn't matter.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2011
2987 posts
295 upvotes
NORTH VANCOUVER
teleguitar wrote:

Oh I see she's a Hindu sympathizer
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15841 posts
479 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
teleguitar wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:12 pm
Whatever. It doesn't matter.
In other words, you've been proven wrong, so you need to hide under a rock to retain your dignity.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
2622 posts
69 upvotes
Sharks316 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:28 pm
Oh I see she's a Hindu sympathizer
Most Hindus are respectful and accepting. Ron Banerjee is something else.
"Truth is High, Higher Still is Truthful Living" Guru Nanak
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2958 posts
186 upvotes
Fading NDP presence in Quebec could give breath of life to a moribund Bloc Québécois: Hébert
There is no chance he gonna win. No support in Quebec.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16495 posts
1764 upvotes
Montreal
sandeeS wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:56 pm
Only one.
Anju Dhillon: Liberal, won the Quebec constituency of Dorval-Lachine-LaSalle
Still. The question is will having a SIkh leader deter NDP voters. I'm not convinced. NDP voters are already probably more likely to accept a Sikh leader than conservative voters. If the CPC choice proves unpalatable (which it usually does in Quebec), it comes down to Liberal vs NDP. I still like the NDPs chances in 2019.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
2472 posts
312 upvotes
Scarborough
silky28 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 7:38 pm
I watched the video and the only question I have is wtf does "economic justice for everyone" mean?
maybe has something to do with the fake capitalism we have parading around the world. You know, all those patent/IP laws that infringe on a pure free market principle, and flies in the face of real capitalism. Then the same people who benefit from this rigged system get even more favors from the courts and government to cut their taxes. You have a rigged economic system that favors certain people over others, I guess thats what it means when people say economic injustice.