Food & Drink

Jai: Chinese Vegitarian Foods - where in the GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2005 9:48 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jan 12, 2004
1465 posts
1 upvote
'K™B.

Jai: Chinese Vegitarian Foods - where in the GTA?

Ok, i used to go to richmond court for lunch a while back and order up a small serving of the "jai' to go.. and a small container would be $3.

now i went back and its $4 + taxes....... for the same small size and only 4/5's full compared to what it used to be.

I noticed in market village over the weekend that this stuff is no where as cheap as it used to be.. all the diff fake bbq meats and such..

anyone know of a place where this is still served up cheap?

:confused:
25 replies
Deal Addict
May 31, 2002
1079 posts
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but is it some kind of hot milk tea? If so, I quit taking it the first time because it tasted like kerosene!! :(

Hey, maybe it's getting expensive because of rising crude oil prices. :razz:
Nov 7, 2003
252 posts
Basicallly chinese food with no meat. Usually eaten by Buddist Monks and later by people who "concerns" their health
Buddhist vegetarian chefs have become extremely creative in imitating meat using gluten, tofu, agar, and other plant products. Some of their recipes are the oldest and most-refined versions of meat-analogues in the world. Soy and pressed wheat gluten (seitan, or wheat-meat) are very versatile materials, because they can be manufactured into various shapes and textures, and they absorb flavourings, whilst having very little flavour of their own. With the proper seasonings, they can mimic various kinds of meat quite closely.

The stuff u buy out there taste very good, but are not too healthy.
Trying is the first step towards failure
--Homer Simpson
Deal Addict
May 31, 2002
1079 posts
Oops... Is that what it is? :o Well, there's a Sri Lankan place east of Agincourt mall. I'll find out the name and get back. Very un-authentic Chinese food, but cheap.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2004
1097 posts
61 upvotes
u can try the snack store at market village..but I don't remember the price of it...u should get in from the hong kong bank entry ..then u turn left ...where is the simpro and the telus at..and u will see the ice-cream store..then the snack shop at the left side of the ice-cream store will have it..but I haven't been trying it for a long time ago...
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2004
1097 posts
61 upvotes
or u can go into the chinese grocery store..and find the canned one...usually they have the jai or chai....duck.....in a can...but it tasted awful.
Oct 24, 2002
120 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I've been told there is place on Dundas just west of Spadina, with a green sign..

I went there only once, but it was closed... I don't remember the day but it closes once a week. Like Monday or something.

Anyhow, the friends I hear from that have gone, I completely trust as food critics and they also said it was cheap.. cheap and cheap. I was told two ppl ate dinner for $13.00. If it was me there, I think it would have been at least $10 each.

Anyhow, hope that helps. The "Graceful Vegetarian" place up by Market Village is just too far these days.
[OP]
Banned
Jan 12, 2004
1465 posts
1 upvote
'K™B.
jkyc wrote:u can try the snack store at market village..but I don't remember the price of it...u should get in from the hong kong bank entry ..then u turn left ...where is the simpro and the telus at..and u will see the ice-cream store..then the snack shop at the left side of the ice-cream store will have it..but I haven't been trying it for a long time ago...
heh, yeah i checked this place out before, actually its what made me want to eat jai this week...

I DID NOT BUY IT THERE, HOWEVER, WHY?

because i decided to go for the wasabi peanuts instead and my friend opened the glass jar to get some, and what did we see:

FLIES!!! lots of them!!! some crawling around inside the jar and 3 of them flew out of the jar when we opened the lid!!! these were not the small fruit-flies, they were kinda big and i couldn't recognize them.. either way, gross..

so my friends and i did NOT trust the jai there.. and its expensive for $4.50 for a SMALL container and a large one (not that much bigger) for $8

richmond court used to be $3 small and $7 large, and the large was really big.
[OP]
Banned
Jan 12, 2004
1465 posts
1 upvote
'K™B.
jkyc wrote:or u can go into the chinese grocery store..and find the canned one...usually they have the jai or chai....duck.....in a can...but it tasted awful.

ugh, this reminded me of my university days.. one tastes ok but the rest of the selection are gross!!

you really know your food! hahaha
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2293 posts
136 upvotes
Ottawa
Try the Buddhist temple. Help them out and get the good stuff. :)

~V79~
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2004
1097 posts
61 upvotes
trueno92 wrote:heh, yeah i checked this place out before, actually its what made me want to eat jai this week...

I DID NOT BUY IT THERE, HOWEVER, WHY?

because i decided to go for the wasabi peanuts instead and my friend opened the glass jar to get some, and what did we see:

FLIES!!! lots of them!!! some crawling around inside the jar and 3 of them flew out of the jar when we opened the lid!!! these were not the small fruit-flies, they were kinda big and i couldn't recognize them.. either way, gross..

so my friends and i did NOT trust the jai there.. and its expensive for $4.50 for a SMALL container and a large one (not that much bigger) for $8

richmond court used to be $3 small and $7 large, and the large was really big.
btw, i found a hair inside the jai ...like years ago...so i don't eat it anymore..and u know there is a tawianese store..rite nest to the big hill farm..grocery store..the one beside the hk bank...they may have it..but I am sure the sell the bubbles for the bubble tea.but I saw that they do sell some vegeterian food there..but not sure..
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2004
1097 posts
61 upvotes
Viz79 wrote:Try the Buddhist temple. Help them out and get the good stuff. :)

~V79~
i think it would be a bit costly..and that may nto be what he is looking for...he is looking for the jai snack not the real jai food ...i guess...cuse those they sell at market village wouldn't consider as real jai food to me... :cheesygri
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39202 posts
3502 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
J__ wrote:I've been told there is place on Dundas just west of Spadina, with a green sign..

I went there only once, but it was closed... I don't remember the day but it closes once a week. Like Monday or something.

Anyhow, the friends I hear from that have gone, I completely trust as food critics and they also said it was cheap.. cheap and cheap. I was told two ppl ate dinner for $13.00. If it was me there, I think it would have been at least $10 each.

Anyhow, hope that helps. The "Graceful Vegetarian" place up by Market Village is just too far these days.
eh.. my friends family owns that place. lol i help him fix da place up before it opened.
Apr 2, 2004
321 posts
25 upvotes
J__ wrote:I've been told there is place on Dundas just west of Spadina, with a green sign..

I think that's Buddha's Vegetarian. I have been told the servings are huge and people always tend to order too much. I have eaten takeout from there and it's quite tasty.

Graceful Vegetarian is lovely but much more expensive. It's a nice treat once in a while.
Jan 23, 2004
359 posts
14 upvotes
Midland and Finch, Scarborough Village, there's a Jai restaurant there.