Food & Drink

Jamaican food by non-Jamaicans is offensive?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 4:00 pm
55 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4653 posts
320 upvotes
Victoria
I think only white people are racist cultural appropriators or whatever. Everyone else is not. In the current political climate you are racist just by BEING white. That's all that's required.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4708 posts
387 upvotes
Scarborough
sorta like when chinese shops are selling samosas at inflated prices, lol
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4683 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
Anything that involves capitalizing on something cultural than isn't your own could be seen as offensive by a purist. At the same time there is nothing wrong with making money.

There are non-Japanese that can make outstanding sushi and non-Indians that can make Tandoori chicken.

When it comes to food styles, there are many people stubborn towards dishes that they grew up making, made by someone that didn't follow the same path.

As far as food dishes are concerned IMO it takes years to master a specific cuisine to be able to open a restaurant serving the dishes. A rare occurrence indeed unless it's a fast food version.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
May 12, 2014
580 posts
161 upvotes
Markham, ON
Jamaican food by non-Jamaicans is offensive? My favourite Jamaican food is from Jamaican take out places ran by people that looks Chinese. I don't find it offensive. Good food is good food no matter who cooks it.

In the article:
"I love Jamaican food," the release quotes Zuccarini as saying, "and always thought we needed an amazing Jamaican restaurant in Toronto. I've visited Jamaica many times and have several close Jamaican friends who introduced me to the deliciousness of Jamaican food beyond jerk chicken."

The problem is this part 'thought we needed an amazing Jamaican restaurant in Toronto'. As there are amazing Jamaican restaurants in Toronto.
Last edited by Bobberts on Oct 4th, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2071 posts
205 upvotes
Mississauga
Wish there was an amazing Jamaican restaurant / shack in Mississauga.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2016
744 posts
370 upvotes
Bobberts wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:30 am
Jamaican food by non-Jamaicans is offensive? My favourite Jamaican food is from Jamaican take out places ran by people that looks Chinese. I don't find it offensive. Good food is good food no matter who cooks it.
There is a sizeable Chinese population in the Caribbean so this wouldn't be out of the ordinary at all. Do the Chinese guys running the takeout speak fluent English with Jamaican accents? Or do they speak only Cantonese among themselves and "Engrish" with non-Cantonese speaking customers?

I was referring to all these Japanese places across North America invariably run by Chinese which have bastardized the cuisine such that everybody thinks California Rolls (and its dozens of variations) are an authentic item from Japan (they are not). It pains me to hear people say "I love Japanese food" then when I ask what dishes they like, "Oh, I love Spider Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll, Dynamite Roll, Philadelphia Roll, Caterpillar Roll... I don't like any of that raw fish stuff..."

Invariably these people have never set foot in a Japanese restaurant actually run by Japanese (or by somebody trained by Japanese -- like Shoushin and Skippa in Toronto).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7589 posts
1675 upvotes
Brampton
Bobberts wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:30 am

In the article:
"I love Jamaican food," the release quotes Zuccarini as saying, "and always thought we needed an amazing Jamaican restaurant in Toronto. I've visited Jamaica many times and have several close Jamaican friends who introduced me to the deliciousness of Jamaican food beyond jerk chicken."

The problem is this part 'thought we needed an amazing Jamaican restaurant in Toronto'. As there are amazing Jamaican restaurants in Toronto.
Chinese Jamaicans look it up.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6712 posts
696 upvotes
Toronto
Simply another level of stereotyping.
I am not a chef and like foods from other cultures.
I have learnt to make it myself to suit my tastes when I do make it myself.
Not all authentic Ethnic establishments may live up to the taste expectations of others, but when I do buy it I do not complain.
I make jerk chicken and add some extras here or there to suit my taste for instance.
I add sugar to my Bolognese sauce if it's too sour etc.
Cooking IMO is about knowing what flavours you are searching for and how to get them.
Based on our backgrounds and where we grew up etc, our tastes will vary greatly, and we'll always expect that foundational flavor in other stuff you eat outside your culture etc though it should not be there if authentic.
For example, I grew up eating spicy and so add hot sauce to many different types of foods.
Another thing is marketing.Some authentic ethnic establishments may not be able to fully market their product like a marketing genius schooled in the west would.
Many from the West are now scouting the lesser developed countries to learn their ways and techniques from food to medicine, only to come back, home, package and market it as their own "ideas" and profit from it.
For example, massaging babies has been a long tradition of East Indian culture and those of East Indian descent in the Caribbean.
Yet we see books in the West written by westerners and treating it as some novel idea.
Jan 22, 2008
474 posts
25 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:28 pm
Chinese Jamaicans look it up.
Bobberts might be referring to Mister Jerk on Wellesley which is by a Chinese family from Jamaica though it's probably not the only example.
Jan 22, 2008
474 posts
25 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 1:45 pm
I was referring to all these Japanese places across North America invariably run by Chinese which have bastardized the cuisine such that everybody thinks California Rolls (and its dozens of variations) are an authentic item from Japan (they are not). It pains me to hear people say "I love Japanese food" then when I ask what dishes they like, "Oh, I love Spider Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll, Dynamite Roll, Philadelphia Roll, Caterpillar Roll... I don't like any of that raw fish stuff..."
The main reason for the corruption of authentic food is less to do with ethnicity of the owners/staff and more dirven by by business considerations. The second half of your paragraph explains why.

In addition to some of the shortcuts and compromises which result from the rush to cash in on whatever ethnic food happens to be trending at the moment, the restaurants forced to "dumb down" the food to make it less intimidating for the average customer. Many of which like to present and think of themselves as "adventurous foodies" with a diverse, global palette, but in fact shy away from being challenged by anything less accessible than the offerings at their local mall's food court.
May 12, 2014
580 posts
161 upvotes
Markham, ON
Ten Count wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 3:03 am
Bobberts might be referring to Mister Jerk on Wellesley which is by a Chinese family from Jamaica though it's probably not the only example.
I'm from Scarborough and was referring to Fahmee Bakery and Jerk King. I realize there is a large Chinese population in Jamaica as I grew up with a few. tebore's post seemed confrontational and didn't deserve a direct response.

The point is 'Good food is good food no matter who cooks it.'

Even EastGTARedFlagger's recommended Japanese place is owned by a Caucasian person, Skippa.

I've met one person that said this, "I love Japanese food" then when I ask what dishes they like, "Oh, I love Spider Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll, Dynamite Roll, Philadelphia Roll, Caterpillar Roll... I don't like any of that raw fish stuff..." except they only liked cucumber rolls. lol.. Japanese food doesn't always mean sushi.
Last edited by Bobberts on Oct 5th, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7826 posts
2710 upvotes
Toronto
Who cares! I've seen chinese owners owning a Greek restaurant, hey...as long as the food taste good, who cares!!!

Think of the children if people care so much!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1668 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 1:45 pm

Invariably these people have never set foot in a Japanese restaurant actually run by Japanese (or by somebody trained by Japanese -- like Shoushin and Skippa in Toronto).
Sushi originated from China in the second century when they packed salted fish in cooked rice, whiched started the fermentation process. The Japanese "bastardized" sushi into what we have today. Full circle, I guess.

As long as the main ingredient is rice cooked with vinegar, sushi can made with anything other ingredient. "Raw fish" is definitely not a required element so I don't know why it would offend you for other people to enjoy California Rolls or Dynamite Rolls. And yes, California Rolls are even popular in Japan as well, so does that make it "authentic" now?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14083 posts
1495 upvotes
Toronto
So if white people selling Jamaican food is 'offensive', why isn't it offensive when Jamaican people sell curry or fried rice?
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?