Food & Drink

Jamaican food by non-Jamaicans is offensive?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 4:00 pm
Jun 14, 2017
180 posts
148 upvotes
Why the hell does race matter when it comes to food? Good tasting food is all that matters. Authenticity comes from the preparation and usage of ingredients and not the chef's skin colour.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2016
750 posts
372 upvotes
akira1971 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 9:50 am
And yes, California Rolls are even popular in Japan as well, so does that make it "authentic" now?
Over there, it's pitched as an American product like hamburgers and hot dogs, not as Japanese. Watch the documentary "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" and tell me where in the movie Jiro Ono, the world's best sushi chef, or any of his sous-chefs, makes a California roll. (hint: you won't find it)

Closer to home, let's check out the menus of the GTA's best sushi restaurants and look for the California roll.

Start with Kaji in Etobicoke: http://www.sushikaji.com/about_rest.html
He says Although we do not serve "popular Japanese food" like "California roll" and "Teriyaki", we will be pleased to introduce you to the real Japanese food culture.
In other words, California roll is not real Japanese.

Now let's go north to Zen in Markham (formerly in Scarborough):
http://zenjapaneserestaurant.com/menu/course-menu/
No California rolls there either. Not on the course menu nor on the a-la-carte menu. Probably because in Markham you can get a California roll as easily as Tim Horton's....

Onward to Skippa, owned and operated by Kaji's former sous-chef (a Caucasian). Their website doesn't have a menu so let's look at a blogger's photos:
http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/skippa-toronto/
No California rolls anywhere in sight.

Shoushin is owned and operated by Zen's former sous-chef (a Toronto-born Chinese guy).
http://www.shoushin.ca/edomae-style-sushi/
Don't think Jackie Lin is going to roll you some fake crab and avocado either...

Over to Yasu, another authentic place:
http://www.foodjunkiechronicles.net/201 ... i-bar.html
I don't see a Cal roll anywhere in that photo gallery...

Finally, the oldest of the old guard, Hiro Sushi. Website has no menu so let's go to a Yelp gallery:
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/hiro-su ... to?start=0
No Cal-style rolls in there either. Does have some of the traditional tuna maki and similar, but not what you'd call California roll.

Bottom line, California roll and its variants are CHINESE-AMERICAN (some argue they're Canadian, like so-called "sushi pizza"). Not authentic Japanese.
If you want authentic, dine at any of the places I list above. If you want to stuff your face with California rolls dunked in Yoda Sauce (another abomination), find some AYCE place owned by Chinese where they hand you an iPad for ordering so that they don't have to speak to you...
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Oct 5th, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2016
750 posts
372 upvotes
Bobberts wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 8:06 am
Even EastGTARedFlagger's recommended Japanese place is owned by a Caucasian person, Skippa.
That's why I specified "trained by a Japanese chef". Ian (at Skippa) and Jackie (at Shoushin) worked at Kaji and Zen respectively before going out on their own.
Aug 31, 2017
113 posts
25 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 10:00 am
So if white people selling Jamaican food is 'offensive', why isn't it offensive when Jamaican people sell curry or fried rice?
You should read the article.
Bobberts wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:30 am
Jamaican food by non-Jamaicans is offensive? My favourite Jamaican food is from Jamaican take out places ran by people that looks Chinese. I don't find it offensive. Good food is good food no matter who cooks it.

In the article:
"I love Jamaican food," the release quotes Zuccarini as saying, "and always thought we needed an amazing Jamaican restaurant in Toronto. I've visited Jamaica many times and have several close Jamaican friends who introduced me to the deliciousness of Jamaican food beyond jerk chicken."

The problem is this part 'thought we needed an amazing Jamaican restaurant in Toronto'. As there are amazing Jamaican restaurants in Toronto.
Precisely
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
1004 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Ten Count wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 3:03 am
Bobberts might be referring to Mister Jerk on Wellesley which is by a Chinese family from Jamaica though it's probably not the only example.
Patty King is run by a Chinese family of Jamaican decent.
Jun 18, 2013
121 posts
84 upvotes
Brampton
Menthol wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 10:13 pm
So is Mr Jerk (Lawrence/Keele)
As is Cravins up in Markham.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10044 posts
628 upvotes
Mississauga
I believe Randy's Takeout on Eglinton (best patties in the GTA, IMO) is also run by a Chimaican.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14399 posts
1050 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 9:12 am
I believe Randy's Takeout on Eglinton (best patties in the GTA, IMO) is also run by a Chimaican.
I thought they were shuttered?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6004 posts
878 upvotes
Mississauga
Based on the article alone, I wouldn't eat at Chubby's Jamaican Kitchen as it's not authentic, and the owner is being disrespectful to the already existing authentic restaurants that have been standing for years.

She should rename her restaurant to Chubby's Jamaican Style Kitchen.

PS, for westenders, people in Mississauga, there is a nice Jamaican restaurant on Lakeshore and Hwy10 called Voy Jamaican Restaurant.

Last edited by Raggie on Oct 7th, 2017 8:35 am, edited 6 times in total.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10044 posts
628 upvotes
Mississauga
Supercooled wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 2:53 am
I thought they were shuttered?
I haven't been there in a couple years, but there are reviews online from last week, so you might be thinking of another place.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3565 posts
440 upvotes
Aurora
Bobberts wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:30 am
Good food is good food no matter who cooks it.

The problem is this part 'thought we needed an amazing Jamaican restaurant in Toronto'. As there are amazing Jamaican restaurants in Toronto.
The first part says it all.

As for the second, taste is subjective. Maybe she thinks that all the Jamaican restaurants in Toronto are s**t, that's her opinion. Maybe she thinks she can do better, again her opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

People need to stop turning over stones, looking for a reason to get angry.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3565 posts
440 upvotes
Aurora
Raggie wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 8:35 am
Based on the article alone, I wouldn't eat at Chubby's Jamaican Kitchen as it's not authentic, and the owner is being disrespectful to the already existing authentic restaurants that have been standing for years.

She should rename her restaurant to Chubby's Jamaican Style Kitchen.

PS, for westenders, people in Mississauga, there is a nice Jamaican restaurant on Lakeshore and Hwy10 called Voy Jamaican Restaurant.

Interesting, I never knew broccoli and shrimp were traditional Jamaican delicacies. I guess an asterisk beside a name is only required when it suits the complainers.

Reinterpreting ingredients and preparing them in the "style" of a certain culture or ethnicity is what food is all about. And thank God for that, or we would be facing a flavour stagnation of epic proportions!
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18936 posts
2518 upvotes
Poormond Hill
wrigley wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 8:34 pm
Patty King is run by a Chinese family of Jamaican decent.
Menthol wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 10:13 pm
So is Mr Jerk (Lawrence/Keele)
dryars wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 12:50 am
As is Cravins up in Markham.
Talamasca wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 9:12 am
Also Tastees.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18936 posts
2518 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Toukolou wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 4:07 pm
Interesting, I never knew broccoli and shrimp were traditional Jamaican delicacies. I guess an asterisk beside a name is only required when it suits the complainers.

Reinterpreting ingredients and preparing them in the "style" of a certain culture or ethnicity is what food is all about. And thank God for that, or we would be facing a flavour stagnation of epic proportions!
Nothing wrong with it as long as they don't call it "Authentic". Even some Chinese dishes contain ingredients not found in China.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.