Food & Drink

Jamaican food by non-Jamaicans is offensive?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 4:00 pm
Jun 12, 2017
103 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Too be honest I don't care at all where the food comes from or who makes my food as long as it is delicious you don't see me complaning
[OP]
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
Raggie wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 3:14 pm
The curry shrimp is actually on the Specials board. Now that I think of it, I actually think Voy should relabel themselves 'Jamaican-fusion', as they offer various other items with a spin on it, such as poutine, fish cakes, nachos, etc., Now I'm craving Voy to try out their poutine (been meaning to do that for a while now).
As a general rule I stay away from restaurants that pitch "fusion" or "inspired". To me that's code for the management/chef admitting "we can't/won't/don't want to do it the right way so we'll cut a few corners, make it up as we go along, throw everything at the wall and see what sticks".
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7577 posts
2495 upvotes
ON
lambertbob912 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 1:13 pm
Too be honest I don't care at all where the food comes from or who makes my food as long as it is delicious you don't see me complaning
This. What's the big deal? If it's good food, I don't care what you call it or who is or is not from a certain country.
Mar 19, 2015
627 posts
120 upvotes
Canada
akira1971 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 9:50 am
Sushi originated from China in the second century when they packed salted fish in cooked rice, whiched started the fermentation process. The Japanese "bastardized" sushi into what we have today. Full circle, I guess.
Sushi is not of Japanese origin. The word “sushi” is not even Japanese. It is Chinese.

More info:
http://www.pbs.org/food/the-history-kit ... -of-sushi/

A fourth century Chinese dictionary mentions salted fish being placed in cooked rice, causing it to undergo a fermentation process. This may be the first time the concept of sushi appeared in print.

The process of using fermented rice as a fish preservative originated in Southeast Asia several centuries ago.

When rice begins to ferment, lactic acid bacilli are produced. The acid, along with salt, causes a reaction that slows the bacterial growth in fish. This process is sometimes referred to as pickling, and is the reason why the sushi kitchen is called a tsuke-ba or “pickling place.”

The concept of sushi was likely introduced to Japan in the ninth century, and became popular there as Buddhism spread. The Buddhist dietary practice of abstaining from meat meant that many Japanese people turned to fish as a dietary staple. The Japanese are credited with first preparing sushi as a complete dish, eating the fermented rice together with the preserved fish. This combination of rice and fish is known as nare-zushi, or “aged sushi.”

Sidenote: Buddhism-the religion- is not of Japanese origin.

Sidenote: Chinese have a long history of travelling to Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, India, Central Asia, Middle East, Europe, Caribbean, Mexico, Cuba, South America, North America, Africa, etc etc etc so that’s how food spread from one country to another. Foreigners (Japanese, Koreans, Middle Eastern, Portuguese, Italians, Indians, Russians, British, French, etc etc etc) travelled to China.

-
Mar 19, 2015
627 posts
120 upvotes
Canada
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 5:03 pm
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/t ... e36439158/

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/opinio ... e36449884/

So, Caucasian-owned restaurants ruining Jamaican food is offensive, but Chinese-owned restaurants ruining Japanese and Thai food is not?
Chinese have a long history with Japanese, Thai, Koreans, Filipinos, Malays, Indonesians, Vietnamese, Indians, Middle Eastern, Portuguese, Italians, French, Dutch, Germans, British, Russians, Jamaicans, South Americans, etc etc so that is why people ended up eating the same food or similar food.

More info:
http://www.tasteofthailandfoodtours.org ... thai-food/

Traditional Thai cookery involved stewing and baking, or grilling.

However, the area that is now Thailand, Laos, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia and Vietnam were settled by the ancient Chinese an estimated 1,400 hundred years ago.

With the migration of Chinese people into Southeast Asia, frying, stir-frying and deep-frying of food became more popular techniques, and to this day pad thai (fried noodles) and khao pad (fried rice) remain classic Thai dishes.

Other culinary influences from the 17th century onwards included Portuguese, Dutch, French and Japanese.

We have blogged previously about the history of the chilli in Thailand. By way of reminder, or in case you missed our post, chillies initially came to Thailand during the late 1600s by Portuguese missionaries who had taken a liking to the fiery ingredient in South America.

Thais are well known for their commitment and resourcefulness, and even in cookery they were adapt at replacing ingredients – for example the ghee used in Indian cooking was replaced by coconut oil, and coconut milk (which remain today two very popular ingredients in Thai cookery).

It might be hard to believe, but Thai food used to be a lot more spicy than it is now, but over the years it was toned down, and fewer and less spices were used in Thai curries, while the use of fresh herbs, such as lemon grass and galangal, increased.

Thai food was traditionally eaten with the right hand while seated on mats or carpets on the floor as still happens in the more traditional households. It is now generally eaten with a fork and spoon. Despite China having such an influence on both the country and the food, chopsticks are rarely used, even when eating noodles.
Mar 19, 2015
627 posts
120 upvotes
Canada
Pad Thai is not real Thai food.

If you want real Thai food, you have to go areas in Thailand where there are no Chinese, no Indians, no Malays, no Cambodians, etc etc and most likely, you will find distinct Thai food which have no similarity to Chinese, Indian, Malay, Cambodian, etc etc food.

More info:
http://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2016 ... i-pad-thai

The making of pad Thai
The dish was invented in the 1940s under the regime of Plaek Phibunsongkhram (Prime Minister of Thailand from 1938 to 1944 and 1948 to 1957) as part of a sweeping set of cultural reforms to create a Thai national identity. Accounts vary, but most histories suggest he established a national competition to find a distinctly Thai noodle dish.

The winner was kway teow pat Thai, or stir-fried rice noodles Thai-style.

The inclusion of ‘Thai’ in the name and the reference to kway teow – Hokkien for flat rice noodles – immediately highlight the borrowed aspects of this dish, born of a particular political and social climate.

At the time, many Chinese migrants operated street carts and sold noodles to Thai workers.

“It was given the name pat thai, in keeping with the chauvinistic tenor of the times, and to
distinguish it from Chinese noodle dishes, even though it has much in common with them – bean
sprouts, bean curd, salted radish, garlic chives and, of course, the noodles themselves,” writes David Thompson in Thai Street Food.

“The thing that makes it distinctly Thai is the tamarind,” Palisa Anderson, director of Sydney’s Chat Thai group, tells SBS Food.

“It’s not an old dish or a traditional dish,” she says.

Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7972 posts
788 upvotes
Ottawa
The fact that these debates exist shows that the culinary industry still is pretty racist when it comes to acceptance of other cultures in ethnic foods.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2016
826 posts
428 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 9:42 am
The fact that these debates exist shows that the culinary industry still is pretty racist when it comes to acceptance of other cultures in ethnic foods.
If I go into a Japanese restaurant and the chef is a white or Canadian-born Chinese guy who is making authentic food that you'd see in Japan (I'm specifically using Skippa and Shoushin for this example), I have no problem with that. Same goes with any cuisine. If the head chef and cooks can recreate the food as it should be, he/she earns my business and my respect.

But when I see a restaurant run by Chinese who are making an absolute mockery of the cuisine they claim to be serving, that I have a huge problem with. All those McSushi Roll places with the iPads are bad enough, but the worst offenders are these guys: http://www.irg168.com and http://www.irmgusa.com/our-brands/

You'll see all those chains and they are all serving THE SAME STUFF. "Bourbon Chicken" at the "Cajun" place is pitched as "Teriyaki Chicken" at the "Japanese" place, "Thai Chicken" at the "Thai" place, "Jerk Chicken" at the "Caribbean" place, and "General Tso Chicken" at the Chinese place. They're IDENTICAL. They have identical menus (the usual "meat and 2 veg with fried rice" combos). Soy sauce, duck sauce and chopsticks are not typical in Louisiana, but sure enough the "Cajun" place will have them at the checkout! I've even seen "General Tso Chicken" advertised as a special at the Cajun one. Really?

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/bourbon-chix.html

I don't believe seeking authenticity in one's dining choices is "racist".
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3567 posts
443 upvotes
Aurora
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 7:58 pm
If the head chef and cooks can recreate the food as it should be, he/she earns my business and my respect.
What does that even mean?! If the food is good, great! If it sucks, don't go back.

The "restaurants" you referenced are all s**t mall food chains. I didn't think that was the subject of this thread.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5378 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Bobberts wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:30 am
Jamaican food by non-Jamaicans is offensive? My favourite Jamaican food is from Jamaican take out places ran by people that looks Chinese. I don't find it offensive. Good food is good food no matter who cooks it.
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 1:45 pm
There is a sizeable Chinese population in the Caribbean so this wouldn't be out of the ordinary at all. Do the Chinese guys running the takeout speak fluent English with Jamaican accents? Or do they speak only Cantonese among themselves and "Engrish" with non-Cantonese speaking customers?
tebore wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:28 pm
Chinese Jamaicans look it up.
See my RFD screen name.... one right here! LOL

And mi no care wah she a say - mi mother cooks best. LOL
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!