Automotive

Jan 1, 2019 - Distracted Driving Fines in Ontario go up - $1000 on your first offense

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 1:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12625 posts
1421 upvotes
Toronto

Jan 1, 2019 - Distracted Driving Fines in Ontario go up - $1000 on your first offense

I saw this article and thought I would share it to the RFD community in case it was not reported: https://driving.ca/gmc/auto-news/news/o ... ed-driving
Last edited by hightech on Dec 17th, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
204 replies
Nov 10, 2018
635 posts
377 upvotes
This nanny state is real.

Thank gosh tinted windows are legal here.

Flame suit on. Well with Android Auto.... And a smartwatch, at least its easy to get around this.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22112 posts
7148 upvotes
Toronto
next on the list ... let's go after the jaywalkers (esp. with the cellphones doing texting) Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5800 posts
4135 upvotes
North York
booblehead wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 11:17 am
next on the list ... let's go after the jaywalkers (esp. with the cellphones doing texting) Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
So often getting of the train at Union, these people would stick their eyes to their phones and walk at the turquoise' speed, blocking everyone behind them in a narrow tunnel. Some people got really pissed off, walked pass and 'intentionally' bumped into these people. Yet, oblivion is unoblivious.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16098 posts
2246 upvotes
Toronto
This won't change anything. The government still has it codified into law that distracted driving is safe if you have a good enough reason. They keep trying to tell us that us peasants don't have good enough reasons and only government employees do, but people see through this and know what their actual stance is on it.

Until they start treating distracted driving like drunk driving and ban it for everyone regardless of job people will still do it. Treat something dangerous like it's actually dangerous and people will treat it like it's dangerous. Tell people something is dangerous while you make it completely okay for you and you alone to do it and people will treat it like it's okay.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Dec 15, 2017
770 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 11:04 am
This nanny state is real.

Thank gosh tinted windows are legal here.

Flame suit on. Well with Android Auto.... And a smartwatch, at least its easy to get around this.
There are some idiots that will say "Good I support this, talking on cellphone is bad". What these idiots dont understand is that the law is ambiguous. You eating a burger while driving? Charged. You turn around for a split second to see the backseat if your baby is choking? Charged. Talking to you passenger while driving? Charged.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8645 posts
7295 upvotes
Oakville
booblehead wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 11:17 am
Isn't the penalty severe injury/death? Seems legit to me, Darwin would be happy. Hopefully driver has dashcam to prove innocence.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20592 posts
9606 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
MusicBox wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 11:51 am
There are some idiots that will say "Good I support this, talking on cellphone is bad". What these idiots dont understand is that the law is ambiguous. You eating a burger while driving? Charged. You turn around for a split second to see the backseat if your baby is choking? Charged. Talking to you passenger while driving? Charged.
before I read this post I already assumed you were pro texting and driving

not surprising.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Dec 15, 2017
770 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah you have a direct webcam pointed at me eh?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9895 posts
4329 upvotes
Toronto
Big brother is watching ya eh...
MusicBox wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 12:02 pm
Yeah you have a direct webcam pointed at me eh?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jul 27, 2006
827 posts
403 upvotes
Moncton
Not everyone in the country lives in Ontario. Please put the location in the title for stuff like this.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
10632 posts
5771 upvotes
Richmond Hill
oIIIIIo wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 12:31 pm
Not everyone in the country lives in Ontario. Please put the location in the title for stuff like this.
RFD is Ontario though
Nov 7, 2012
165 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
I just wish they actually started enforcing these. I see too many drivers both on roads and highways fiddling with their phones.

I mean there's a lot of incentive for the municipality: instead of charging $80 parking tickets, they could make 10 times more in less time. Just drive around and look around for offenders. The thing is, police doesn't even need the undercover (unmarked) vehicles, the driver on the phone won't notice them anyways most likely.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2541 posts
1446 upvotes
Montreal
Wonder if it'll be challenged, because it's quite disproportional compare to other offenses, doesn't driving 50 over gets lesser punishment?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8645 posts
7295 upvotes
Oakville
MusicBox wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 11:51 am

Who cares why you're distracted? If you're not paying attention to driving your vehicle than you are a moron and shouldn't be driving. Should be a loss of license.
jzmtl wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 1:00 pm
Wonder if it'll be challenged, because it's quite disproportional compare to other offenses, doesn't driving 50 over gets lesser punishment?
It's at least as dangerous as drunk driving so I don't see a problem. Plus over 50 gets your car taken away with higher fines (i think).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)