Automotive

Jan 1, 2019 - Distracted Driving Fines in Ontario go up - $1000 on your first offense

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 1:52 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
18660 posts
17682 upvotes
Toronto
https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/ ... ed-driving

Good, put down your devices and focus on driving :

The Ontario government is introducing a new mandatory three-day driver’s licence suspension on a first conviction for distracted driving as of Jan. 1.

And the new minimum fine for a first offence of distracted driving is rising to $615 if settled out of court, up from the current minimum of $490, with a maximum fine of up to $1,000.

That first offence will also come with three demerit points.

A second offence within five years carries a fine of up to $2,000, six demerit points and an automatic seven-day driver’s licence suspension.
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2446 posts
2408 upvotes
So how does this work because in one of my cars the head unit has built in email notification and ability to reply. It is a stock unit.

I love the ability to do this and it doesn't appear it contravenes this act?

Ha!
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11778 posts
11426 upvotes
Oakville
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 10:10 am
So how does this work because in one of my cars the head unit has built in email notification and ability to reply. It is a stock unit.

I love the ability to do this and it doesn't appear it contravenes this act?

Ha!
Do you reply with voice recognition? As far as I'm aware, you're allowed to interact with fixed/mounted devices (ie, radio, phones in a mount) as long as you aren't distracted from driving. So if you're manually writing a reply on your dash and swerving or driving unduly slow then you could (and should) be charged.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3475 posts
1203 upvotes
Quebec
I cant tel for other province, but in quebec driving security law, it used to being illegal to have a screen that the driver can see while driving, this rule was enforced in 1990 - 2000 ish, now because automaker all introduced a bigger and bigger screen, this rule is not enforced anymore, but they make new one like this one.

I am used to prone for less rules and more freedom, but damn, way too much driver don't know how to drive properly, lets say driving and doing something else in same time.

I am personally more old school, i prefer good solid buttons, that i can locate and apply without my eyes leaving the view of the road. I hate my new infotainment screen in my new car, its so complicated and sometime(often) doesn't catch all my input properly, there is NO WAY to change something without my eye staying on the road.

In Montréal, there is way too much driver stalling at red light because of these distraction.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2446 posts
2408 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 11:47 am
Do you reply with voice recognition? As far as I'm aware, you're allowed to interact with fixed/mounted devices (ie, radio, phones in a mount) as long as you aren't distracted from driving. So if you're manually writing a reply on your dash and swerving or driving unduly slow then you could (and should) be charged.
Both methods of entry are acceptable.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41099 posts
4882 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Piro21 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 11:43 am
This won't change anything. The government still has it codified into law that distracted driving is safe if you have a good enough reason. They keep trying to tell us that us peasants don't have good enough reasons and only government employees do, but people see through this and know what their actual stance is on it.

Until they start treating distracted driving like drunk driving and ban it for everyone regardless of job people will still do it. Treat something dangerous like it's actually dangerous and people will treat it like it's dangerous. Tell people something is dangerous while you make it completely okay for you and you alone to do it and people will treat it like it's okay.
Exactly!!
Time to loosen up gun laws so we can all conceal carry too.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3307 posts
2695 upvotes
The NORTH
UrbanPoet wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 12:10 pm
Exactly!!
Time to loosen up gun laws so we can all conceal carry too.
Here, Here!!!
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
However, Neuberger expressed deep concerns over the changes, which give police powers to ask for breath samples even when someone is no longer driving or near their vehicle.

It’s part of another section of the legislation, which states that any driver “commits an offence who has within two hours after ceasing to operate a motor vehicle” is still over the legal alcohol limit.

Neuberger said under the rules, nothing stops police from going to a someone’s home, or to a bar, to demand a sample from someone under suspicion of driving r the influence of alcohol

“They’re driving on the road, they’re heading home and they arrive at home, go in to watch the hockey game, crack open a few bottles of beer or have a scotch or something,” he explained.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4828694/impa ... ts-police/
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2446 posts
2408 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 8:25 am
However, Neuberger expressed deep concerns over the changes, which give police powers to ask for breath samples even when someone is no longer driving or near their vehicle.

It’s part of another section of the legislation, which states that any driver “commits an offence who has within two hours after ceasing to operate a motor vehicle” is still over the legal alcohol limit.

Neuberger said under the rules, nothing stops police from going to a someone’s home, or to a bar, to demand a sample from someone under suspicion of driving r the influence of alcohol

“They’re driving on the road, they’re heading home and they arrive at home, go in to watch the hockey game, crack open a few bottles of beer or have a scotch or something,” he explained.

This is so incredibly disturbing and yet some morons on here will still support this behavior.

Maybe they'll even now publicly support Nazi Germany.
Aug 12, 2016
338 posts
216 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 8:25 am

Meh I give that law about 2 years and it will be brought to Supreme Court and ruled unconstitutional. Provinces will probably rule it as such within a year and a half, very few will be convicted on that law between now and then.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50614 posts
15411 upvotes
Didn't read the thread except for the last page.

Can I park on the side of the road or shoulder where there is no "no stopping or no parking sign" and make calls or text?

What about changing an address / destination in Google Maps on my dashboard mounted smartphone, can I do it while stationary and waiting for a green traffic signal? Or do I have to pull over to the side to do anything?

Dictation isn't so good so maybe it's time to upgrade from my Note 4.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1026 posts
371 upvotes
GTA, ON
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 8:59 am

What about changing an address / destination in Google Maps on my dashboard mounted smartphone, can I do it while stationary and waiting for a green traffic signal? Or do I have to pull over to the side to do anything?
Pretty sure if you do it while waiting for a green light- you would still get a ticket. I have been trying out waze voice command, and it has been ok so far.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1222 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
kr0zet wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 1:17 pm
First they came for the texter's and I did nothing,
Because those guys are aholes!

Next they came for the drunk drivers and I did nothing,
Because F those guys right?

Then they came for me and then let me go,
Because I wasn't drinking or texting behind the wheel!

Taking civil liberties? Y'all may not realize this but driving is a privilege, not a right and as such you enter into a social contract when you get a license. You accept enforcement of the rules as part of that social contract.

Compaing this to Nazism? Get the hell out of here, show me where this allows cops to stop a PERSON and perform an illegal search and/or seizure. This allows them to stop DRIVERS, a person using a 2 tonne projectile who chose to use that privilege.

I know that I am changing zero minds here as anyone throwing out Nazism in comparison to this enforcement of driving privilege is completely entrenched in thier beliefs but thank goodness I live in a country where I can point out the fallacy of such a silly argument.
I will laugh in your face when you get charged with distracted driving for looking at your wife while talking to her, nobody here is defending texters and drunk drivers. Lots of innocent people are going to get charged because a cop can be ambigous and charged you with anything if he doesnt like your face.

To the guya above me, you still get charged for texting while stoppped at a redlight or at an accident traffic delay.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9749 posts
6138 upvotes
Edmonton
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 8:59 am
Didn't read the thread except for the last page.

Can I park on the side of the road or shoulder where there is no "no stopping or no parking sign" and make calls or text?

Dictation isn't so good so maybe it's time to upgrade from my Note 4.
If you're parked on the shoulder to make calls or text, you can get a ticket for parking there, if not for using a handheld device. Breaking one law to avoid breaking another isn't a defense.

C
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50614 posts
15411 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:35 am
If you're parked on the shoulder to make calls or text, you can get a ticket for parking there, if not for using a handheld device. Breaking one law to avoid breaking another isn't a defense.

C
Isn't calling/texting usually done in an emergency?

Since when is parking on the shoulder with flasher on an offense? I'm in Ontario not in Alberta by the way.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... .8.0.shtml
Here are some basic parking rules:

Never park on the travelled part of a road. Drive off the road onto the shoulder if you must stop for some reason.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Jan 9th, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.