Automotive

Jan 1, 2019 - Distracted Driving Fines in Ontario go up - $1000 on your first offense

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 1:52 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5805 posts
4137 upvotes
North York
XtremeModder wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:54 pm
I can't see them knocking on someones door while at home to demand a breath sample, after that there's no proof you were driving unless what you were wearing when you made a bad decision exactly matches the description.

I highly doubt police are going to be going this far.
Police won't do it if there's nothing.
But if an ahole neighbour, who's got a grudge, see you sipping your alcohol, may call in and falsely reported that you had been driving recklessly on the street.
Police will knock on your door and do a breathalyzer, which you will fail because you are indeed drinking. You had not been driving, but who's to prove that when police just got a tipoff?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7766 posts
4548 upvotes
Edmonton
Why is there all this conversation about drunk driving and drones (now) in a thread about distracted driving law changes?

C
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16120 posts
2253 upvotes
Toronto
konsensei wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:05 pm
But if an ahole neighbour, who's got a grudge, see you sipping your alcohol, may call in and falsely reported that you had been driving recklessly on the street.
Police will knock on your door and do a breathalyzer, which you will fail because you are indeed drinking. You had not been driving, but who's to prove that when police just got a tipoff?
Yep. Prepare for a lot of these calls in summertime when people start having friends (who drive!) over to their houses for barbecues and parties with music and drinking. ******* neighbors everywhere will start calling the cops saying they saw drunk people driving to the host's house. This applies to any situation where a friend will drive your drunk ass home in your car and then leave for their own places as well. I used to do that a lot back in university, where I'd be the DD for someone on their birthday or whatever and then just walk the block or so to my house after dropping them off in their car.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9286 posts
985 upvotes
Toronto
konsensei wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:05 pm
Vehicle hood still warm?
I can't see police doing this
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5805 posts
4137 upvotes
North York
XtremeModder wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:24 pm
Vehicle hood still warm?
I can't see police doing this
Does it have to be? If I drive out to the beer store that's 2 km away, then come back, have a couple beers. An hour and half later, police knock on my door.

Police do because someone tip them off.
May 26, 2007
707 posts
213 upvotes
What if you had a couple of beers at home but not drunk if they come to your door? you would have to blow over the limit right? for it to be a problem?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3588 posts
1227 upvotes
Mississauga
If that really turns out to happen, I can see the case going all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada. I’ll even chip in to help pay the appellant’s legal bill.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1190 posts
291 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:08 pm
Why is there all this conversation about drunk driving and drones (now) in a thread about distracted driving law changes?

C
Weaponization of social media? The question is by whom??
Last edited by Bb0231 on Jan 10th, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 15, 2017
786 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
konsensei wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:33 pm
Does it have to be? If I drive out to the beer store that's 2 km away, then come back, have a couple beers. An hour and half later, police knock on my door.

Police do because someone tip them off.
Dont answer the door, simple. Its criminal not to take breath test but its your right not to open door to cops without a search warrant.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6224 posts
1121 upvotes
I am confused....

We are not allowed to drink at home anymore in case we may drive somewhere? I don't understand. If a cop comes to someones house and they blow over, what's the issue? They are charged with "possible dui if they decide to leave the house in a car"?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16120 posts
2253 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 7:05 pm
I am confused....

We are not allowed to drink at home anymore in case we may drive somewhere? I don't understand. If a cop comes to someones house and they blow over, what's the issue? They are charged with "possible dui if they decide to leave the house in a car"?
If you drive home after work and someone decides to be vindictive and report you to the cops you can be charged with drunk driving if they show up less than 2 hours after and their breath test catches the wine you had with your dinner at home.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6224 posts
1121 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:50 pm
If you drive home after work and someone decides to be vindictive and report you to the cops you can be charged with drunk driving if they show up less than 2 hours after and their breath test catches the wine you had with your dinner at home.
How do they prove you were driving at all, let alone driving drunk?

Seems a little far fetched....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5805 posts
4137 upvotes
North York
Gutty96 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:16 pm
How do they prove you were driving at all, let alone driving drunk?

Seems a little far fetched....
They have a witness, your ahole neighbor who made up a story about you driving recklessly
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2784 posts
1765 upvotes
The NORTH
Talk about a stretccccccccch going on in here. Lots of Nazi dropping and hypothetical worst case scenario's.

There are some TIGHT tin foil hats in here.

Oh and don't forget to sprinkle in the misinformation like the 2 hour after drinking that's been on the books for quite some time and not new...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6224 posts
1121 upvotes
kr0zet wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:39 pm
Talk about a stretccccccccch going on in here. Lots of Nazi dropping and hypothetical worst case scenario's.

There are some TIGHT tin foil hats in here.

Oh and don't forget to sprinkle in the misinformation like the 2 hour after drinking that's been on the books for quite some time and not new...
Ya, that's what I was thinking. I can see zero convictions ever coming from this. Heck, I would think zero charges laid is most likely.