Automotive

Jan 1, 2019 - Distracted Driving Fines in Ontario go up - $1000 on your first offense

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 1:52 pm
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3369 posts
886 upvotes
markham
konsensei wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:24 pm
They have a witness, your ahole neighbor who made up a story about you driving recklessly
ya...it doesn't quite work like that....heck..they can't even make a dui stick unless they actually catch you behind the wheel (from an actual cop)...sure they can charge you...but conviction won't happen (with a decent lawyer)
Jun 5, 2017
27 posts
35 upvotes
If the police come to your door you would simply not open the door and state clearly "This is my own private domicile and I will not be harassed".
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2783 posts
1764 upvotes
The NORTH
Coulby wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:33 am
If the police come to your door you would simply not open the door and state clearly "This is my own private domicile and I will not be harassed".
Am I Being Detained????? Am I Free To Go????
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5805 posts
4137 upvotes
North York
cardguy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 6:45 am
ya...it doesn't quite work like that....heck..they can't even make a dui stick unless they actually catch you behind the wheel (from an actual cop)...sure they can charge you...but conviction won't happen (with a decent lawyer)
stick or not isn't the problem.
You are going to be arrested on the spot for drinking and a witness had called in to report you. You will be thrown into a cell. You will be released on bail with promise to show up in court. You will show up in court and prove your innocence. The charges will drop. But your mental and time is wasted
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16119 posts
2253 upvotes
Toronto
lazymonk wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:02 am
https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/ ... er-bottles

Now you can get pulled over for returning "too many" empty bottles to the beer store?

What was this cop thinking? A 70 yr old guy drank 3 cases of beer before returning them? Face With Tears Of Joy
"I don't see this ever happening. Anyone who says cops would ever do something like this is just some tin-foil-hat-wearing hippie blathering on about fictional scenarios"
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5805 posts
4137 upvotes
North York
kr0zet wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:39 pm
Talk about a stretccccccccch going on in here. Lots of Nazi dropping and hypothetical worst case scenario's.

There are some TIGHT tin foil hats in here.

Oh and don't forget to sprinkle in the misinformation like the 2 hour after drinking that's been on the books for quite some time and not new...
I am basing off the news articles the past few days.
No one ever said this "2 hours" is new or old.
The problem is: You drove home sober at 7pm. You have a couple beers. By 8.30pm, the police knock on your door because your neighbour complained you had been drinking and driving.

Of course this is one of the worst scenarios when someone (not the police) is out to get you. Just look at all the thread in here, how many people are unhappy with their neighbours? It clearly isn't that far fetched. Read on worst neighbours, I am sure there are tons out there that's worse than just this. Though charges might drop in your favour, the experience won't be pleasant for you.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16119 posts
2253 upvotes
Toronto
konsensei wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:18 am
Of course this is one of the worst scenarios when someone (not the police) is out to get you. Just look at all the thread in here, how many people are unhappy with their neighbours? It clearly isn't that far fetched. Read on worst neighbours, I am sure there are tons out there that's worse than just this. Though charges might drop in your favour, the experience won't be pleasant for you.
What happens when the police are out to get you? We've had lots of reports of cops planting drugs on people and arresting people they don't like. What happens when one gets triggered and decides to arrest you because you had a drink somewhere and your car engine is warm?
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5805 posts
4137 upvotes
North York
Piro21 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:49 pm
What happens when the police are out to get you? We've had lots of reports of cops planting drugs on people and arresting people they don't like. What happens when one gets triggered and decides to arrest you because you had a drink somewhere and your car engine is warm?
SOL. that's the worst of the worst cases.
I guess at some point, somewhere, somehow, as evidence will prove your innocence (not always), but the trauma will never go away.
Nov 21, 2017
401 posts
158 upvotes
Surrey BC
EP32k2 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 12:37 pm
RFD is Ontario though
Yea so? This website can be viewed all over the world. And the tagline on the main page under Red Flag Deals is where Canadians save.
Nov 21, 2017
401 posts
158 upvotes
Surrey BC
Barn01 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 11:47 am
Android Auto does it for me. It notifies me that a txt came in and who it's from then asks if I want to hear the msg. After the msg plays it asks if you want to respond. I just say the msg and say send ... easy peasy!
Anyone that still needs a phone in their hand is a moron. At the very least get a window or dash mount for the phone and download Android Auto or Carplay.
[/quote
How the hell can you download AA or ACP when the most older car's head unit doesn't support it?
Nov 21, 2017
401 posts
158 upvotes
Surrey BC
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 2:39 pm
Proper way to drive is with both hands on the steering wheel.
What if you're one handed or drive a manual. Get real.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5692 posts
1130 upvotes
???
The new impaired driving laws is probably because of those that did end up drinking and driving and were spotted or reported ended up at home before the police were able to stop them on the road. Then they just hammer some alcohol in their home and claim they were drinking at home.

This happened to me before when an obviously impaired driver on the 404 went dead stop on live lanes and was previously swerving around in two lanes on northbound 404. I sighted them right at the 407 connection and they were swerving around. Eventually they came full dead stop right before highway 7 exit. That’s when I called it in but OPP and YRP wasn’t able to respond in time and they exited on 16th. They actually pulled into someone else’s driveway and hit a curb reversing out of that driveway to proceed further down the road to their own house. YRP showed up 5 mins after they parked on their driveway but by this time they were already inside their house. The investigating officer told me that the driver was clearly intoxicated but claimed they slammed a bottle of wine at home. They really couldn’t do anything.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24455 posts
10791 upvotes
Ottawa
flipper316 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:32 am
What if you're one handed or drive a manual. Get real.
Prosthetic arm and in a manual vehicle, you're not supposed to be holding the shifter (shift gears and back to the steering wheel) . Get facts.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3369 posts
886 upvotes
markham
konsensei wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:46 am
stick or not isn't the problem.
You are going to be arrested on the spot for drinking and a witness had called in to report you. You will be thrown into a cell. You will be released on bail with promise to show up in court. You will show up in court and prove your innocence. The charges will drop. But your mental and time is wasted
oh sure ..1 or 2 of these arrests...the lawsuits that follow...and this wont happen....or....its already happened and THATS WHY it doesn't happen!...like I said before...hard enough to charge someone when they wipe out their car and walk away from it ...let alone once they get to the privacy of their own home