Automotive

Jan 1, 2019 - Distracted Driving Fines in Ontario go up - $1000 on your first offense

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 1:52 pm
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7915 posts
3779 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:57 am
"I don't see this ever happening. Anyone who says cops would ever do something like this is just some tin-foil-hat-wearing hippie blathering on about fictional scenarios"
funny, where is Krozet now to call me a freaking crazy person???????? when I said this DUI breathalyzer thing was CRAZY, they laughed...

1 WEEK and look at what cops are doing..
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7915 posts
3779 upvotes
Toronto
kr0zet wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:39 pm
Talk about a stretccccccccch going on in here. Lots of Nazi dropping and hypothetical worst case scenario's.

There are some TIGHT tin foil hats in here.

Oh and don't forget to sprinkle in the misinformation like the 2 hour after drinking that's been on the books for quite some time and not new...
OH he's BACK

Actually KROZET because cops can legally breathalyzer you now without a logical reason, they can knock on your door.. and if you are dumb enough to answer it for them, they can request a breathalyzer... In the PAST they would need ground to request a breathalyzer after the fact... now they can breathalyze you for ANY REASON.

i guess reading is not part of your comprehension skills?

as many people are dumb, the cop could ask you "were you driving 1 hour ago?"
answer: Yes/
please blow into this.

If you're smart, you can tell them to get off your property and get a warrant.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2841 posts
592 upvotes
Oshawa
You drink your coffee or water ... distracted driving.

You change from the radio to your USB to listen to music ... distracted driving.

Your turn on the ass warmer ... distracted driving.

You turn on the AC ... distracted driving.

You pick your nose because there is something stuck inside of your nose ... distracted driving.

You swap your regular glasses for a pair of sunglasses because the SUN just decided to come out ... distracted driving.

It's THEIR CALL ... whatever they say. So ... really does it matter? NO! Your word versus theirs ... which means more courtdates to be booked ... eventually the cops need to meet their ticket targets and they will pick up the MOST MINOR things and state DISTRACTED DRIVING.

The cops will find ways to meet their targets at your expense.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Oct 25, 2018
7 posts
3 upvotes
Soon they will be waiting by the drive-thru at tim hortons and stopping you for having a coffee in your hand.
Oct 2, 2012
270 posts
169 upvotes
Ottawa
flipper316 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:26 am
How the hell can you download AA or ACP when the most older car's head unit doesn't support it?
Umm mount your phone and run it from your phone. It's an app you know!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47356 posts
13103 upvotes
Looks like I need a dashcam capturing every move I make inside the car lol.

Surprised how silly many of these police officers act and how hypocritical some of them are for ticketing people over really trivial matters and labeling them distracted driving.

Any way to report bad police behavior? Being unionized, I am sure they will not even get a slap on the risk. Only the SIU seem to have some power over the police force.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1835 posts
313 upvotes
m4r 1k8
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 8:45 am
Looks like I need a dashcam capturing every move I make inside the car lol.

Surprised how silly many of these police officers act and how hypocritical some of them are for ticketing people over really trivial matters and labeling them distracted driving.

Any way to report bad police behavior? Being unionized, I am sure they will not even get a slap on the risk. Only the SIU seem to have some power over the police force.
slap on the wrist. whats a slap on the risk? Face With Tears Of Joy

That being said you guys are making them feel like tyrants. ive never had a problem with being pulled over. Be aware of your surroundings and when in the car just drive. You dont need to take your eyes off the road to have a sip of water or coffee, so relax. If you cant keep your eyes on the road while you sip these things then you should be ticketed.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47356 posts
13103 upvotes
ed116 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 9:05 am
slap on the wrist. whats a slap on the risk? Face With Tears Of Joy

That being said you guys are making them feel like tyrants. ive never had a problem with being pulled over. Be aware of your surroundings and when in the car just drive. You dont need to take your eyes off the road to have a sip of water or coffee, so relax. If you cant keep your eyes on the road while you sip these things then you should be ticketed.
So what if the officer catches you blinking, do you deserve to be ticketed? :) Get off your high horse. I'm sure you don't spend 99.9999% of your time looking out through your windshield.

Well, I did ask on the insurance thread and the friendly broker Cosmic5 did mention one of her clients was pulled over for actually driving 5 km/h over the speed limit.

Most police officers command my respect but there will always be a few bad apples and with a unionized environment, they will be there until early retirement.

It's better to be aware that not all police officers are empathetic and aren't double standard.

Oh, I haven't been asked to pull over for more than a decade now but I'm just being realistic and not an ignoramus. I have not thing against authority but there will always be scums everywhere.
Aug 5, 2008
702 posts
181 upvotes
If the effort put into this thread was instead invested in furthering your opinions through our democratic processes, it would not be a waste of time and effort.

Write a letter to your MP or MPP, or an opinion piece to your favorite newspapers, if you feel strongly enough about your side of the argument.

Calling each other names and reducing the argument to absurdity (not hard to do), is not productive and screams: trying-too-hard-to-show-i-am-smarter.

Just sayin'... It's RFD, not a televised national debate.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1253 posts
234 upvotes
So like why is Tesla sold here ? everything that you do consist of touching that massive screen , that whole car is distracted driving lol