• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 7:51 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2015
3666 posts
26931 upvotes

Janes Chicken Burgers Recalled Due To Salmonella Risk

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) says Sofina Foods Inc. is recalling Janes brand Pub Style Chicken Burgers from the marketplace due to possible Salmonella contamination.

The agency says the uncooked breaded chicken burgers were sold across the country in 800 gram packages with a best before date of May 14, 2019 (UPC code 0 69299 12491 0).

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/10/2 ... a-homepage
15 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13391 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
Funny how it's just the chicken burgers and not any other type of breaded meat that may have been sold at the same time.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
4974 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto
stopped buying these when they were being sold at around ~$2 with coupon(right?).

edit: it was $0.88 damn
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6251 posts
2330 upvotes
Toronto
test9251 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 11:56 am
stopped buying these when they were being sold at around ~$2 with coupon(right?).

edit: it was $0.88 damn
wtf an entire box was 88 cents!? I was going to say why does anyone even eat this stuff when making home made chicken burgers with fresh chicken is cheap and easy but that's insane
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5076 posts
497 upvotes
Scarborough
food standards have gone down the drain here, damn
whats going on in these chicken factories
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6115 posts
769 upvotes
I believe these contamination problems have always been there but we just never had a comprehensive food inspection system to identify these problems and trace them back to the source. People always got sick from some kind of food poisoning, some died from it, but nobody was sure from what, the numbers were never compiled and the press rarely reported anything. Food poisoning is a big deal now and gets a lot of attention from everyone.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13391 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
woof wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 11:36 pm
I believe these contamination problems have always been there but we just never had a comprehensive food inspection system to identify these problems and trace them back to the source. People always got sick from some kind of food poisoning, some died from it, but nobody was sure from what, the numbers were never compiled and the press rarely reported anything. Food poisoning is a big deal now and gets a lot of attention from everyone.
In order for it to be a "Big deal" people in droves have to get sick from eating the exact same thing. Not just one or two people here and there.
From a business viewpoint, the last thing any company wants is for anyone to get sick (er, any large amount of people) because then too many people are afraid to buy their product(s).
The profits vanish.
Nov 6, 2018
16 posts
3 upvotes
New York
Ugh... I'd better buy some chicken for a regular price and make any sandwich at home. $0.88 for a package, really?? It's too cheap. Too cheap to be high-quality.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12452 posts
484 upvotes
Just cook any chicken (raw and previously cooked) products properly and you won't have to worry about salmonella.

Minimum 165° Fahrenheit /75° Celsius

Just assume that all chicken products are contaminated with salmonella, especially processed ones unless you personally know where they came from.

You could go a bit lower in temp on a solid piece of chicken breast but for ground chicken products like Jane's don't even think about it.

Get a digital thermometer if you don't have one already.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5297 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
ErikaB35221 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:27 am
Ugh... I'd better buy some chicken for a regular price and make any sandwich at home. $0.88 for a package, really?? It's too cheap. Too cheap to be high-quality.
You know that deal a few months back, it was a combination of a front page sale + coupon to get that price. Those boxes regular retail is $10 each.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3354 posts
1217 upvotes
Jane's chicken products are very heavily discounted. I've never seen a brand so determined to bury itself. With this recall, I don't know if I want to bother buying the $6.99 900gram full cooked chicken wings at Price Choppers.