Travel

Which Japan ATMs work with Amazon.ca Visa for cash advances?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 12:11 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto

Which Japan ATMs work with Amazon.ca Visa for cash advances?

I prepaid my Amazon.ca Visa so that I can withdraw cash at the ATM in Japan using cash advances. So which ATMs will work? I will be arriving in Narita, so preferably an ATM at Narita Airport. I found a list of them here:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/s ... vc_12.html

Does it matter which one I use? I assume, the exchange rate will be Visa's exchange rate and not the ATM's exchange rate right?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3318 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
You should call visa and I'm sure they will give you a list. My visa (non pre-paid) worked in most ATMs without problems being 7-11 the easiest and most convenient.
Oct 20, 2004
617 posts
130 upvotes
Ottawa
Check out the post office at Narita. Post offices and 7/11s are usually the best ATMs for foreigners in Japan. Had a look at the NRT website and they don't list an ATM at the post office but I thought I remembered taking out money at one in the past (maybe that was in a different airport though).

The exchange rate will be the one set by Chase and not the machine.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2578 posts
245 upvotes
Vaughan
Not sure which atm's work with your visa.. My TD debit card only worked at JP Bank Atm's, which are at every post office.

Make sure you notify visa and your bank that you are traveling there and will be withdrawing funds. Keep your debit as a backup, just in case.

I got some bad advice from rfd members before i left for Japan last year. Many rfd members said that my TD debit card would work at the atm's in the convenience store. So i trusted people on here. I went to japan with $10,000 yen in my wallet, just slightly less than $100 cdn. Of course the atm's didn't work in the convience store. I'd would advise to bring more than $10,000 yen, just in case you can't find an atm that will work for you right away.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/banana-r ... st24082895
Sep 8, 2013
86 posts
21 upvotes
Winnipeg
Best bet is the ATMs at Japan Post Office. I've been to Japan 4x since 2009 and my first 3 trips, my TD bank card worked at 7-11. My last trip in Nov 2015, I couldn't withdraw from a 7-11 ATM using my TD or Scotia bank cards and even tried another 7-11 store. I called TD and 7-11 customer service with no successful results. I walked around for over an hour looking for a Post Office and fortunately, I was able to withdraw from there.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3833 posts
1093 upvotes
Calgary
chatmax wrote:
May 27th, 2016 5:38 am
Best bet is the ATMs at Japan Post Office. I've been to Japan 4x since 2009 and my first 3 trips, my TD bank card worked at 7-11. My last trip in Nov 2015, I couldn't withdraw from a 7-11 ATM using my TD or Scotia bank cards and even tried another 7-11 store. I called TD and 7-11 customer service with no successful results. I walked around for over an hour looking for a Post Office and fortunately, I was able to withdraw from there.
For anyone travelling in Japan, be forwarned. I also had major major issues withdrawing funds through TD while in Japan. There was the most frustrating canned response thread on the TD website in the past (looks to have been removed) where they never acknowledged what people were saying, with people screaming that that they were saying did not work.

Make sure to have some funds available well before you do a search for an ATM. I had to go through several stations and eventually got one working. Japan Post Office did work one time, but not a prior time. I found one bank which also accepted it, but forgot the name of it. 7-11 used to work in past, bnut my TD card even failed there (RBC did work fine) .All other bank machines would not accept, or often would not even read the card, including all the Plus sign ones that are supposed to be compatible Ever since TD changed their Debit card to be debit visa, they have stopped working in Japan except at very select ATM machines, but have never acknowledged the problem.
Nov 25, 2007
726 posts
293 upvotes
Toronto
Was in Japan in summer 2014. No problems using my Amazon Visa for cash advance at post offices. Did not work at one 7-11 I tried at. Just spit my card back out
Jun 29, 2010
783 posts
173 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
May 26th, 2016 4:53 pm
I prepaid my Amazon.ca Visa so that I can withdraw cash at the ATM in Japan using cash advances.
Not sure how many advances you'd be getting - there is a minimum $5 fee for an advance on amazon.ca visa.
So you might be better off using your Visa for purchases, rather than racking up fees.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10279 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
Psychopathetic wrote:
May 27th, 2016 1:37 pm
Not sure how many advances you'd be getting - there is a minimum $5 fee for an advance on amazon.ca visa.
So you might be better off using your Visa for purchases, rather than racking up fees.
Just going to get one advance that should last me for the entire trip. I heard/read that Japan is still very much a cash based society, with increasing credit card acceptance. So I prefer to have some cash on hand. Is there a ATM at the Post Office in Narita?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
5247 posts
747 upvotes
Mont-Royal
Cool. I'm in Japan too. Tokyo. What is to do in that area we shouldn't miss as first time travellers? Sorry our friends ditched us so we are stuck to plan all this live.
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1084 posts
42 upvotes
Aznsilvrboy wrote:
May 26th, 2016 4:53 pm
I prepaid my Amazon.ca Visa so that I can withdraw cash at the ATM in Japan using cash advances. So which ATMs will work? I will be arriving in Narita, so preferably an ATM at Narita Airport. I found a list of them here:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/s ... vc_12.html

Does it matter which one I use? I assume, the exchange rate will be Visa's exchange rate and not the ATM's exchange rate right?
7-11 ATMs worked with my amazon.ca Visa card for taking out cash. (January 2015)
Oct 20, 2004
617 posts
130 upvotes
Ottawa
phuviano wrote:
May 26th, 2016 10:53 pm
I got some bad advice from rfd members before i left for Japan last year. Many rfd members said that my TD debit card would work at the atm's in the convenience store. So i trusted people on here. I went to japan with $10,000 yen in my wallet, just slightly less than $100 cdn. Of course the atm's didn't work in the convience store. I'd would advise to bring more than $10,000 yen, just in case you can't find an atm that will work for you right away.
I think I remember reading that the Visa debit cards that TD has started to use are the problem. Do you have one of those ones? That reminds me that I need to go into a branch and ask for a non-Visa debit card because they apparently work better outside of Canada...
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2578 posts
245 upvotes
Vaughan
yaldaren wrote:
May 31st, 2016 9:05 pm
I think I remember reading that the Visa debit cards that TD has started to use are the problem. Do you have one of those ones? That reminds me that I need to go into a branch and ask for a non-Visa debit card because they apparently work better outside of Canada...
Yes i have td debit visa. Its funny that you mentioned that.

I actual had a non visa debit. The bank told me to change it to the debit visa one before my trip, and i did.

I can verify that jp bank atm's work at the post office locations. Post offices are located very close to most major train station, like shibuya, shinjuku, etc...
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/banana-r ... st24082895
Mar 27, 2011
392 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
What about Tangerine Debit cards? Does it work on the 711 and Post office ones? it should right..?
Jan 11, 2007
64 posts
3 upvotes
Usually, Visa card is on the Plus network ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_(interbank_network) ). However, my Amazon.ca visa doesn't have a Plus logo at the back of the card. Likely it is not certified, if it works good for you, but don't bet on it.

Just wondering, instead of using ATM at the airport, why don't you exchange for JPY in Canada then get on the plane?