• Nov 4th, 2010 1:00 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 27, 2009
318 posts
110 upvotes

Japan Rail Pass... discount?

Does anyone know any tricks to getting a 2-week green rail pass for japan? Its crazy $$$$!\
any suggestions would be stellar! :lol:
17 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
3639 posts
106 upvotes
Edmonton
The JR Pass might look like a lot of money, but once you see the regular prices that people in Tokyo pay for bullet train service, you will think of it as a bargain. A single round trip between Tokyo and Osaka (closest major city) is close to $350 CAD (about the same price as a 7-day regular railpass).

I've never seen any discounts on the JR pass, so I'm interested as well. The only suggestion to save money would be to downgrade to the regular railpass. Yes, the green cars are better, but I have yet to hear anybody complain about the ordinary cars (they are still very comfortable) and are at a very high standard compared to trains in the rest of the world. I actually has a green pass once, but ended up riding in the ordinary cars more because of people I was travelling with.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2003
1403 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
You won't find anything cheaper in Japan.. this is pretty much the best deal you can get. Like the above poster mentioned, you will be shocked to see the regular prices at the train stations in Japan.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15131 posts
1580 upvotes
I don't think there are discounts for JR Pass.

Just remember a couple things:

1. You can buy a regional JR pass to save money
2. JR Pass includes metro-train services (i.e. in Tokyo it is often more convenient to take the train than the subway!)
3. A trip from Tokyo to Kyoto is about 130.00 each way, so a couple train rides and the pass more than makes up for itself.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2009
318 posts
110 upvotes
Thanks everyone,
The only reason I was looking for a green pass is I'm travelling with my 3 & 7 year old, and thought it may be worth it. we usally get the regular one too- and yes, I know the rail pass in itself is an UBER-deal. I have seen slightly different prices throughout- and think the price may be based on the yen, and since its so high....?
Just thought I might check anyhow.
I know theres a travelzoo for japan.... if only I could read kanji!

: (
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
3639 posts
106 upvotes
Edmonton
heidio wrote:
Oct 21st, 2010 9:36 pm
Thanks everyone,
The only reason I was looking for a green pass is I'm travelling with my 3 & 7 year old, and thought it may be worth it. we usally get the regular one too- and yes, I know the rail pass in itself is an UBER-deal. I have seen slightly different prices throughout- and think the price may be based on the yen, and since its so high....?
Just thought I might check anyhow.
I know theres a travelzoo for japan.... if only I could read kanji!

: (

Yes, the Railpass is based on the Yen. I don't know how often the travel agencies update their prices, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Unfortunately, as you already know, you have to buy it through a Canadian travel agency.
Mar 6, 2010
153 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
The green is nice but not all the lines have it. The reg ones are still nice and roomie.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2003
4062 posts
24 upvotes
Agree with everyone above....

Yes, JR pass are sold in Yen. But some travel agent will just charge your credit card in CAD regardless. If you think your credit card do better at Yen exchange rate, you can try to request the travel agent to charge it in Yen. IMHO the diff is pretty small and not worth the extra trouble.

I wish there are discounts for JR Pass... haha... Only real discount is to use a credit card gives you benefits back (like dividend card)....

Speaking about "specials" have you check JR East website lately?

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_sp/index.html (3 days JR Pass for 10,000 Yen) It really depends on your plan. It is not cheaper than 7/14 days pass for yen/Day. But it is flexible and you can pick any 3 days to use in a 10 day period (start after first use).

Also check out the Suica/NEX combo deal for your first/last day assume you arrive/depart NRT.
/* My Heatware */ #define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111)) ...really weird C code to count the number of bits in a word Hacking RAID in XP Support Net Neutrality Canada
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3975 posts
245 upvotes
heidio wrote:
Oct 20th, 2010 9:13 pm
Does anyone know any tricks to getting a 2-week green rain pass for japan? Its crazy $$$$!\
any suggestions would be stellar! :lol:
what, the fact that it is already HUGELY discounted from actual train costs is not good enough...[insert rolling eyes] but to answer your question, NO. there are zero, zip nadda ways of getting these tix for less so far as i am aware....green is pointless IMO for you...BTW, your 3 year old will be free unless they want to have a reservation....if the train is empty, they can sit in any empty seat.
Banned
Dec 10, 2008
1659 posts
49 upvotes
Japan Rail Pass is NOT a lot of money.

Would it not be nice that Canada had anything close for their already crappy Via trains for tourists that come here.

Please don't whine too much. As you probably know, this rail pass also entitles you to free rides around the vast JR network inside Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka..... that is like getting Via rail plus TTC, STCUM and Translink for free. Except it's much better.

My favorite train is Thunderbird :)
[OP]
Dec 27, 2009
318 posts
110 upvotes
mrbeachman wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2010 4:54 pm
Japan Rail Pass is NOT a lot of money.

Would it not be nice that Canada had anything close for their already crappy Via trains for tourists that come here.

Please don't whine too much. As you probably know, this rail pass also entitles you to free rides around the vast JR network inside Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka..... that is like getting Via rail plus TTC, STCUM and Translink for free. Except it's much better.

My favorite train is Thunderbird :)

Hee-hee, I'm totaly not whining, and am very thankful there even is such a thing as a rail pass! if I were buying only 1... hey, whatever! 4-8 passes, and it doesnt hurt to see if there are any tricks to getting some sort of a deal!
(family pass less in jan etc... )
Id ask if there was such a thing as a coupon....
But I dont think coupons exist in Japan . LOL.

I have been to Japan quite a few times and taken my son before. we have been to Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima, Koya-san, Matsue, all over tokyo, Fuji-san, kansai... and will be taking both the kids to Studio Ghibli for SURE. (hec, I would be going again w/ out them! )

Any suggestions for somthing new? My son will be 7 and daughter 3 and we are going in april.

thanks all! :lol:
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15131 posts
1580 upvotes
heidio wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2010 9:10 pm
I have been to Japan quite a few times and taken my son before. we have been to Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima, Koya-san, Matsue, all over tokyo, Fuji-san, kansai... and will be taking both the kids to Studio Ghibli for SURE. (hec, I would be going again w/ out them! )
The Ghibli Museum is overrated (very shallow) it was a disappointment for me.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
2891 posts
164 upvotes
London, EU
I don't think there is a limit on luggage. For the shinkansen, there are overhead racks above the windows and there are shelves near the doors for those luggage which can't fit the overhead racks.
If you will be traveling by train, then pack light. Not just for your sake but for the sake of the other passengers as well.
Jan 16, 2005
567 posts
50 upvotes
heymikey wrote:
Nov 1st, 2010 4:28 pm
I don't think there is a limit on luggage. For the shinkansen, there are overhead racks above the windows and there are shelves near the doors for those luggage which can't fit the overhead racks.
If you will be traveling by train, then pack light. Not just for your sake but for the sake of the other passengers as well.

I will try to. However, I going to Japan for more than 2 weeks. I am thinking may be I will do a 14-day JR Pass adventure or a 7-day JR pass adventure depending on how convenient it is to lug the luggage around on the bullet trains.
But a 2-week+ trip means a lot of stuff to bring in my experience... can't go tooo tooo light especially going into a foreign country where I don't speak the language and where I may not necessary find the daily things I need.
Have to bring lots of layers too...
*New Blog* One-Touch Kitchen ... http://www.onetouchkitchen.co.nr/
Married with Mortgage ... http://www.marriedwithmortgage.co.nr/
× < >