Tags:
None
Mar 27, 2011
954 posts
775 upvotes
Toronto

Japan Travel Thread

Hi everyone,

This thread is intended for RFDers to share information / tips / pose questions regarding travelling to Japan.

---

See the Japan Autumn Color Report if that's something you want to catch: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014_when.html

---
Best Currency Exchange I found in the GTA (which I will use for my trip): Kantor
--
Want to have a FREE* Tokyo Tour Guide? Click HERE
*Well, not 100% free, but it's not that bad given that these are your local Japanese citizens giving up their free time to show you around: "All costs such as transportation fare, entrance fee, meals, etc. for guests and the guide during the tour shall be borne by the guest."
--
Help reduce your jetlag with Jet Lag Rooster

Active deals

Expired deals
[Delta] Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal to Tokyo w/ Delta $749 Oct to May
[Delta] (1 Stop) Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa to Tokyo, Japan – $602 CAD roundtrip including taxes | Delta
[Air Canada] Non-Stop Toronto to Tokyo, Japan - $679 CAD roundtrip including taxes
[United Airlines] Toronto to Osaka / Kyoto, Japan - $541 CAD roundtrip including taxes
[AA] Toronto/Montreal --> Tokyo RT $725 (one-stop U.S.)
[ANA] Toronto / Montreal / Ottawa to Tokyo, Japan – $674 CAD RT (one-stop)
[American Airlines] Toronto / Montreal / Prairies --> Tokyo RT $756 (http://forums.redflagdeals.com/american-airlines-toronto-tokyo-756-cad-rt-one-stop-next-departure-1968305/?highlight=tokyo)
[United] Toronto / Ottawa --> Osaka RT $542 & Montreal --> Tokyo / Osaka RT $537 (http://forums.redflagdeals.com/united-toronto-ottawa-osaka-rt-542-montreal-tokyo-osaka-rt-537-a-1975139/)
ANA | Toronto / Montreal to Tokyo, Japan – $681 CAD roundtrip including taxes http://nextdeparture.ca/flight-deal/toronto-montreal-to-tokyo-japan-681-cad-roundtrip-including-taxes-ana/
PRICE DROP!! ANA | Toronto / Montreal / Ottawa to Tokyo, Japan for only $597 CAD roundtrip including taxeshttp://nextdeparture.ca/flight-deal/toronto-montreal-ottawa-to-tokyo-japan-for-only-597-cad-roundtrip-including-taxes-ana/
[Air Canada] Non-stop from Toronto (1 connection Ottawa & Montreal) to Tokyo, Japan – $784 CAD roundtrip including taxes | Air Canada
[Air Canada] Non-stop from Toronto, Canada to [HND] Tokyo, Japan for only $754 CAD roundtrip
Last edited by gekaizer on Jul 13th, 2023 9:43 am, edited 14 times in total.
5413 replies
Nov 17, 2014
533 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Booked 18 days in sept. Good deal. Thanks OP

As for travel discussion...
I think the basics of this thread will surround Pocket WIFI, JR Pass, Subway, Itinerary, etc.

Pocket Wifi Carriers (There are definitely more options than I list:
Usually they have 2 options - 1 super-fast but with limited bandwidth, 1 slower but unlimited bandwidth. Choose wisely! They ship the pocketwifi to the post office at the air port so you can pick up then. SOME have return envelopes some don't. For those that don't, return cost is your responsibility.
  • Global Advanced Communications
  • Japan Mobile
  • Telecom Square
  • PuPuRu
JR Pass:
I don't know an exceeding amount about the JR Pass, but I know once its activated, the days you can use it for are sequential (IE, bought 7 days, activate on a tuesday, it expires next tuesday). This pass works for all Major bullet train lines operated by JR, as well as some local subways. Make sure to research where you want to go and what subway lines to be sure this can be used. Typically it is said that if you are not travelling a long distance in Japan (IE Osaka to Tokyo) then a JR pass is not worth the money. It can be purchased in many places and you receive a voucher, which you must trade in at a JR office for the official pass. Some more info here: http://www.jrpass.com/how_to_use_the_japan_rail_pass

Other subways can be used by purchasing a SUICA or other subway pass. http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html#category10

As for Itinerary, a few things we are considering:
  • Many parks, shrines, etc.
  • Tokyo Skytree
  • Shinjuku (Night club district I think?)
  • Akihabara - Electric Town - Anime Nerd City
  • Harajuku - Fashion district
  • Tsukiji Fish Market - Fresh sushi!
  • Osaka Aquarium
This is what comes to mind right now... May add some more later

Edit: Found a really good really cheap pocket wifi for use in japan.
Used it on my most recent trip

https://www.ivideo.com.tw/english/ -- all kinds of coupon codes to be had for it as well.
May be cheaper to rent for a month and return early (was for us!)
Last edited by samuraizero on May 5th, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 4, 2016
4 posts
1 upvote
Hi everybody!

Long time lurker, first time posting :p

Unfortunately, I won't be able to take part in this deal, but hopefully something similar comes up in 2017 when I plan on visiting Japan again.

Just wanted to leave some feedback/advice for those taking advantage of this great deal.

For pocket wifi, I'd recommend http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html
Good prices and service. I rented the Standard Wifi unit in 2014 and it was great.
I would lose service only when going through tunnels while on the bullet train, otherwise very reliable (travelled from Tokyo as far west as Hiroshima).
Battery life was pretty good, just make sure to turn it off while charging overnight ;)
You can pick up/drop off at the airport or a hotel (return envelope included).

I'd definitely recommend bringing along a portable usb battery to keep your pocket wifi and other devices charged.

For the JR Rail Pass, I used the 1 week version and for my purposes it was worth it. Prices are the same pretty much anywhere you can order the vouchers as far as I know.
I got the standard fare pass, and never paid to upgrade to a reserved seat and it was fine for travel from mid-end of September.
You choose the start date of your pass when you redeem the pass voucher at the appropriate ticketing counter, so a little planning on when you'll actually be using the pass is suggested.

For anyone visiting Kyoto, a friend of mine runs two AirBnBs. His name is Akira and his English is pretty decent! Here are the links to the two properties:

https://www.airbnb.jp/rooms/9386573?bev ... 194819&s=3

https://www.airbnb.jp/rooms/11501659?be ... 194819&s=3

If anyone has any questions or whatnot feel free to get in touch with me. I love Japan and go out of my way to help anyone who has an interest in visiting.

Have a great trip!
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1725 posts
1893 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
JR Pass doesn't include Nozomi (I got punted off of one that I took by accident) and Mizuho trains.

Kyoto is a must visit. Especially the temples and Gion (you will surely see Geiko girls).

While looking for lodging, AirBNB can be a solution however I recommend staying in a Japanese traditional hotel (ryokan). It is a cool experience.
Nov 17, 2014
533 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ckay1980 wrote: If you are into console games and gadgets, the Tokyo game show is Sept 17-18
http://expo.nikkeibp.co.jp/tgs/2016/english/

Last time my husband went he got pokemon freebies and lots of other stuff, but that was like 10 years ago :P
Cant find any info about public tickets for this? Perhaps just not available yet?
Mar 8, 2006
989 posts
1188 upvotes
Must try would be a Michelin starred EDO sushi restaurant in Tokyo. You will never look at other regular sushi the same way again.
Banned
Feb 23, 2004
7940 posts
3542 upvotes
Asakusa Temple is recommended in Tokyo. Tokyo Tower as well.

If you are planning on going from Tokyo to Osaka or Kyoto, I would get a JR pass. You can travel between Osaka, Kyoto, and Kobe quite easily with it. As an example, last time in Japan, I stayed in Osaka, but we did a day trip to Kyoto, and then we went for dinner in Kobe. Back to Osaka for dinner. We also did Tokyo to Nagoya as a day trip on the Shinkansen.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1404 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
samuraizero wrote: Cant find any info about public tickets for this? Perhaps just not available yet?
Probably too early. From what I read, last year it was available around mid-July. My husband purchased his ticket at the door but it's cheaper if you buy online and in advance.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2007
1208 posts
362 upvotes
Brampton
petah wrote: Must try would be a Michelin starred EDO sushi restaurant in Tokyo. You will never look at other regular sushi the same way again.
Same place as the one in the Jiro Dreams of Sushi film? Great film btw
Mar 8, 2006
989 posts
1188 upvotes
speedy726 wrote: Same place as the one in the Jiro Dreams of Sushi film? Great film btw
Jiro is impossible to get in. There are plenty other 1,2,3 Michelin star sushi restaurants and they are just as good if not better. I was at the 2 star Sushi Umi in Minato-Ku a few weeks ago and it was excellent.

You may have better luck booking lunch instead of dinner. I had to do dinner due to the fact I had just the over-night lay over and it was pretty risky to do it on the arrival night (flight delay then you are out $$$ since most of these restaurants require a credit card to make reservations!)
Apr 1, 2004
532 posts
406 upvotes
last time we used the Kanto Area pass, it's a 3 day pass which covers three bullet train routes and all major JR lines around Tokyo
it's worth the money if you are planning a day trip or overnight trip to places a bit further from Tokyo, as bullet train prices are well over 5000yen/way

we went for a day trip to Karuizawa and used the pass the navigate around Tokyo on other days
(would've been a better deal if we had time to go to Nikko)
it also covers for the monorail from Haneda airport (but the desk at the airport closes really early)

just checked website, the price went up now to 10,000yen (was 8300yen) and is called Tokyo Wide pass now
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/tokyowidepass/

and something else worth mentioning
recently the duty-free amount on none consumable stuff (ie electronics, clothing) went down to 5000yen, it used to be 10,000yen
http://tax-freeshop.jnto.go.jp/eng/shopping-guide.php
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
petah wrote: Jiro is impossible to get in. There are plenty other 1,2,3 Michelin star sushi restaurants and they are just as good if not better. I was at the 2 star Sushi Umi in Minato-Ku a few weeks ago and it was excellent.

You may have better luck booking lunch instead of dinner. I had to do dinner due to the fact I had just the over-night lay over and it was pretty risky to do it on the arrival night (flight delay then you are out $$$ since most of these restaurants require a credit card to make reservations!)
Supposedly Jiro takes reservations on the 1st of every month and the entire month is booked on the same day. So you may want to try calling in on the 1st of the month to make your reservation.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
1499 posts
650 upvotes
Montreal,QC
hi guys
im going to osaka with the deal of the week

i was in tokyo last dec
we booked airbnb near tsujiki market. woke up at 3
and left at 3:20 to arrive at sushi dai at 3:30, was in line fot first batch of 13, we went in at 5am. we ordered more sushi so we left a bit later than the others. 30 min is average time. they dont rush you out and its amazing value (4000yen) for omakase, by the time we left, there was a long lineup

in the airbnb,they provided pocketwifi and it was useful most of the time, the battery was bad, i had to keep it plugged to my portable battery in order to work. maybe it was in the settings(in japanese) ah well.

food is good almost everywhere you go.

7 eleven has good snacks and food, (rice ball, breakfast skewers, rice crackers, desserts (chestnuts especially), beer is really cheap (asahi, sapporo etc)

theres a tempura shops near tsujiki is open 24 hr and we had snacks a lot of times

starbucks has many green tea and hojicha (roasted green tea) options. must try!

have fun guys
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1777 posts
1197 upvotes
Toronto
Aznsilvrboy wrote: Supposedly Jiro takes reservations on the 1st of every month and the entire month is booked on the same day. So you may want to try calling in on the 1st of the month to make your reservation.
However don't expect a great reception if you're not Japanese. The owner is actually quite racist (a lot of reviews and even newspaper articles say this.) I considered going there for my 40th birthday but in the end decided that if we were going to spend $300+ on a meal that we'd actually like to feel welcomed. Went out for the most fabulous Kobe steak instead.
May 7, 2008
823 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
JP Rail Pass - depends on your itinerary - price it point to point vs. pass of course. I was going in one direction and so found it more worth it to use combo of planes and trains. If trying to getting to Tokyo - check out Puratto Kodama Economy Plan which I took from Tokyo to Kyoto.

As for pocket WiFi - many AirBNB apartments I stayed at, provided it (was in Japan for a month in various cities, sometime changing apartments within a city) - so check the listing, it sometimes will indicate that it's a feature.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2007
1208 posts
362 upvotes
Brampton
Anyone know of notable locales to visit for someone who's a huge fan of Kurosawa Akira and Yasujiro Ozu films?
Nov 17, 2014
533 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
speedy726 wrote: Anyone know of notable locales to visit for someone who's a huge fan of Kurosawa Akira and Yasujiro Ozu films?

See if this is helpful at all:
Edit* Nevermind, outdated info
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Anyone have any recommendations for good day trips outside of Tokyo? We are not familiar with Japan but heard Osaka/Kyoto might be a decent option albeit a bit far. What about Mt Fuji or something like that? I read online Hakone is a good place as Mt Fuji itself isn't all that great unless you like hiking.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)