Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
2220 posts
777 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hey all,

Leaving for Japan next weekend for the first time, and we're super excited.

Just wanted to check, is Ivideo still the best and cheapest pocket wifi?

How much cash "yen" does a person need a day. Want to use no fx card as much as possible, but I know transportation and noodle bars and such are all cash based. Thinking 100 cad converted a day for 2 people? To much or to little?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7223 posts
1465 upvotes
Mississauga
I used IVideo and it was great. I budgeted $100 cad per day for myself. It was more than plenty and I didn't need to use my credit card. (I used my credit card for shopping).
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
2220 posts
777 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Raggie wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 7:19 pm
I used IVideo and it was great. I budgeted $100 cad per day for myself. It was more than plenty and I didn't need to use my credit card. (I used my credit card for shopping).
Awesome thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

Can I asked which Ivideo wifi you picked? We only really need to for web searching, not uploading or streaming YouTube and Netflix. Just to help with getting around.

Thanks again.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7223 posts
1465 upvotes
Mississauga
JRGUINNESS wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 7:35 pm
Awesome thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

Can I asked which Ivideo wifi you picked? We only really need to for web searching, not uploading or streaming YouTube and Netflix. Just to help with getting around.

Thanks again.
I rented Japan WiFi AU Plus 4G LTE Unlimited Data. It was fast, no downtime and worked in the subway. I was only in Tokyo but read that this au works well in other parts of Japan.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Dec 12, 2005
369 posts
17 upvotes
Richmond
JRGUINNESS wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 7:14 pm
Hey all,

Leaving for Japan next weekend for the first time, and we're super excited.

Just wanted to check, is Ivideo still the best and cheapest pocket wifi?

How much cash "yen" does a person need a day. Want to use no fx card as much as possible, but I know transportation and noodle bars and such are all cash based. Thinking 100 cad converted a day for 2 people? To much or to little?

Thanks
See my post, # 1573. I used it for reference on my trip last August.
Nov 23, 2010
876 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 7:43 pm
I rented Japan WiFi AU Plus 4G LTE Unlimited Data. It was fast, no downtime and worked in the subway. I was only in Tokyo but read that this au works well in other parts of Japan.
Anyone rent from iVideo and picked up at Haneda airport?

I see I can get it at the post office, but only from 9-5. Not sure if I can pick up at a Lawson in Haneda
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4933 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
T Minus two days and counting, and a final itinerary check would be appreciated. 15 days total; a 14 Day JR pass in hand, B-Mobile SIM (5GB 21 days) to be picked up at Narita.
Days 1-3: Tokyo
Days 4-8: Osaka-Kyoto-Nara (with home base in Osaka)
Days 8-11: Not sure yet - suggestions appreciated, possibly Kyushu/Hiroshima, but I could go wherever the JR pass can take me ...
Days 11-15: Tokyo, including various day trips to Hakone, Kanazawa, etc.
Anything I'm missing? I won't be able to see the entire country, of course, but looking for a pretty good spread. I feel like I have to pick between north and south (given I'm spending a fair amount of time in Central).
Jul 26, 2016
28 posts
2 upvotes
Just wanted to chime in and say that the 5gb B-Mobile sim worked pretty well. If you're landing at Haneda, you can buy one at the AirBicCamera. It's open quite late and you don't have to pay for airport pickup since you're just buying it at the store. I reserved through BicCamera's site too just in case.
Nov 15, 2013
334 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
Just got back from our trip (3 in Tokyo, 2 in Kyoto, 3 in Tokyo), it was simply amazing. The unlimited 4G SIM I got from Klook for 8 days was *perfect* for our trip. Only used about 5gb but it was nice knowing there was more (major) limits.

Also, having data while traveling was life-changing. The ability to use Google Maps and live translate was huge and made the trip even more enjoyable.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24458 posts
2369 upvotes
Hamilton
SynGamer wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 12:03 am
Just got back from our trip (3 in Tokyo, 2 in Kyoto, 3 in Tokyo), it was simply amazing. The unlimited 4G SIM I got from Klook for 8 days was *perfect* for our trip. Only used about 5gb but it was nice knowing there was more (major) limits.

Also, having data while traveling was life-changing. The ability to use Google Maps and live translate was huge and made the trip even more enjoyable.
I just googled it. 8gb for $12?
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Oct 1, 2013
207 posts
36 upvotes
EDMONTON
Just picked up a free WAmazing sim card at International arrival of narita airport South Wing.

Upon arrival tried to download the wamazing app to my iPhone via Google browser but failed with a message saying location error.

Tried Play Store with an Android phone and success. Followed the instructions and now I have free unlimited LTE data for 15 days in Japan.

Some of you will find it a little bit slow but hey it's free and I have been catching Pokemon with it. A little choppy but free. No problem with fongo and Google map email wechat even tethering.
G-SIM, a global sim card. http://www.yunyobo.com/en/index.html
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4442 posts
264 upvotes
If you do not need to share a network, a data SIM is definitely better than getting a hotspot which is much more limited (battery life).

You also have to consider if travelling with friends that you may not always be near each other and paying a little more for the flexible convenience of breaking up for some parts of the trip and having reliable data beats saving a few bucks sharing a hotspot.

For family trips, a battery pack and the hotspot would likely make much more sense.
Oct 11, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
We just came back from Japan/Hong Kong, and used this Sim card.

Link from Amazon
$33, Value Pack !!! Set of 2 !! AIS Unlimited Travel Sim for Asia Prepaid 18 Countries for 16 Days(8days ×2) (China, Tibet Include)

It worked smoothly, plugged it in, turn on phone. gave it a minute, and it works.

Worked in Both Japan/HK btw.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24458 posts
2369 upvotes
Hamilton
RonC40464 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 2:14 pm
We just came back from Japan/Hong Kong, and used this Sim card.

Link from Amazon
$33, Value Pack !!! Set of 2 !! AIS Unlimited Travel Sim for Asia Prepaid 18 Countries for 16 Days(8days ×2) (China, Tibet Include)

It worked smoothly, plugged it in, turn on phone. gave it a minute, and it works.

Worked in Both Japan/HK btw.
Hold up. So $33 for 2 SIM card (2 users) ?
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

lurkknight