• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2018 9:26 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 11, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
Yes, 2 sim cards, for 2 phones.
or use 1 sim card till it expires, and then swap in the other one, so you have 16 days of use.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1336 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
Just a quick reminder that for all those local sims, you can use Google hangouts to call any North American number for free. Call quality is great as well.
Celebrating 16+ years on RFD!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1336 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
RonC40464 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 4:21 pm
Yes, 2 sim cards, for 2 phones.
or use 1 sim card till it expires, and then swap in the other one, so you have 16 days of use.
I got one of these as well and plan to try them in a few Asian countries, including Japan, this January. First time not ordering a Bmobile card. Hope I’m not disappointed. I’m there for just about 16 days, so this was a perfect option. Not reloadable, by the way, unlike other AIS cards but they are suppose to be plug and play (already activated). Will report back during or after the trip. Yes it is $33 US, but this is still much cheaper than roam like home for the same time period, or purchasing multiple cards, if visiting other countries.
Jul 26, 2016
28 posts
2 upvotes
wysiwyg wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 6:36 pm
Just a quick reminder that for all those local sims, you can use Google hangouts to call any North American number for free. Call quality is great as well.
Can also use Google Duo for video/calls if you both have it installed! They started letting you use the app without a phone number so the Japanese data sim worked.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4441 posts
264 upvotes
wysiwyg wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 6:36 pm
Interesting... This was not the case for me, it wanted to charge 0.02c per minute to dial back to NA when I was in Japan.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11492 posts
3611 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wysiwyg wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 6:43 pm
I got one of these as well and plan to try them in a few Asian countries, including Japan, this January. First time not ordering a Bmobile card. Hope I’m not disappointed. I’m there for just about 16 days, so this was a perfect option. Not reloadable, by the way, unlike other AIS cards but they are suppose to be plug and play (already activated). Will report back during or after the trip. Yes it is $33 US, but this is still much cheaper than roam like home for the same time period, or purchasing multiple cards, if visiting other countries.
Looking forward to your feedback. I'm going in March and was planning to use Bmobile again (since I'm going for 16 days) because the Bmobile sim worked out great last time I was in Japan. But if I can order and get the GAC sim card ahead of time, then I can use it when I transit through Taiwan and I won't need to be without data when I set foot in Japan which will be after the JP office closes for the day.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1336 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
Lovable wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 12:14 am
Interesting... This was not the case for me, it wanted to charge 0.02c per minute to dial back to NA when I was in Japan.
Not sure why you were charged. It has always worked for free for me as recently as this January in France and April 2017 in Japan. I also used it last weekend, while in the US. I read somewhere that free calling stopped working outside NA, but that was a long time ago and can’t seem to find any such reference anymore.

Another option is Fongo, but that will be for calls to Canada only.
Nov 24, 2012
105 posts
10 upvotes
NORTH VANCOUVER
Hey there guys,

I recently ordered an iVideo Pocket Wifi for my trip this week to Japan, but was also wondering. What's the current best deal on a 14 day SIM card that I could grab before I head out?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3588 posts
155 upvotes
Mississauga
Arashie wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 1:39 pm
Hey there guys,

I recently ordered an iVideo Pocket Wifi for my trip this week to Japan, but was also wondering. What's the current best deal on a 14 day SIM card that I could grab before I head out?
I'm ordering this visitor's SIM from NTT Docomo:
https://wow-j.com/en/feature/jwsim/cp1/ ... M_WiFi_TOP
If you use their coupon code, 2GB cost 2024yen, or 900MB for 1836yen. Valid for 20 days after activation. This should be plenty enough if you only need it for navigation and looking up restaurants etc., but can be recharged if you do run out.
Also apparently you can an extra 10MB for each tourism related video once you sign in to your account.

It must be pre-ordered through their website though.
Oct 3, 2011
70 posts
41 upvotes
OTTAWA
I got the softbank sim when we hit the airport, that was probably a mistake as it was 8000 yen for 1 week. I'm pretty sure there are better deals out there like the bic camera sim. Unfortunately after I picked up the sim I didn't really look at other prices... at that point the money was already spent, so no point kicking myself to look at other prices.

There were 3 or 4 counters in the arrival terminal at KIX, and the softbank one was the one we happened to go up to first. It probably would've been better if we looked at the prices for all of them before committing, but we really needed to get the JR passes, ICOCA cards and train ticket into town sorted out before it got too late into the evening. No complaints about the service though, it worked perfectly as advertised. There were a couple deadspots in places where you'd think you'd get service, and then in some spots where you know you wouldn't get service, it worked just fine... like in a train tunnel.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4441 posts
264 upvotes
As recommended previously, you can also check out Klook, no more than ~$25 Canadian for 8 days of unlimited 4G data, pick up kiosk at most of the major airports.
Nov 15, 2017
511 posts
331 upvotes
Any tips/suggestions on travelling in Hokkaido? I hear it's not as convenient as urban cities like Tokyo or Osaka.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2018
1348 posts
631 upvotes
BBZero wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:04 pm
Any tips/suggestions on travelling in Hokkaido? I hear it's not as convenient as urban cities like Tokyo or Osaka.
Need to rent a car to travel around but it's easy enough to drive around as traffic is not bad
Nov 15, 2017
511 posts
331 upvotes
Gboard2 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 6:25 pm
Need to rent a car to travel around but it's easy enough to drive around as traffic is not bad
I see. I'm not familiar with the roads at all (and left-sided driving), so I'm not confident enough to drive.
Are there any day (or 2 - 3 days) tours worth looking into?