• Mar 18th, 2024 8:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4676 posts
3823 upvotes
Edmonton
Sgt_Strider wrote: I think Costco sell something like that as well.
Yodobashi has a lot of fancy Japanese electronics that the brands don't bring over to North America. They're at least interesting to look at even if you're not buying them.

For example, a Zojirushi rice cooker that costs over CAD $1000
https://www.zojirushi.co.jp/syohin/rice ... index.html

(you'll have to try to translate the site to see what features it has that makes it so expensive)

How about a basic calculator that costs over CAD $300 (why??)
https://web.casio.jp/dentaku/sp/s100/

It's a store that has everything from an old-school cassette radio player to the latest 8K television.

They also have a large selection of toys, including Gunpla, various models of cars/trains/planes, and anime figures.

I bought a Hori taiko drum controller for the Switch from Yodobashi during a recent trip, which cost under CAD$80 with the tax free and visa discount. It would've cost over CAD$120 if I have to import it through Play-Asia or eBay.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15684 posts
7397 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Coolcicada wrote: This price includes the service fees and tax. Any chance to get those reduced or waived? Also, it seems like a random hotel with pretty good reviews, but would it be worth paying around $110CAD/night for an APA Hotel?
Service fees and taxes are mandatory. You can't get those reduced or waived. In Japan, they are quote firm in terms of deals, sales, etc. There's really no haggling when it comes to hotels. And if you're booking through Agoda, then you're paying Agoda anyway, not the hotel.
2. Being the first time in Japan and only having six full days, should I just stay in Tokyo the entire time? And if so, is there any reason to consider the rail pass? I see everyone buying one!
No, if you're staying in Tokyo the whole time, you won't need a JR Rail pass. You could consider getting a day pass for the subways/trains.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2013
1045 posts
4135 upvotes
Toronto
rvs007 wrote: Service fees and taxes are mandatory. You can't get those reduced or waived. In Japan, they are quote firm in terms of deals, sales, etc. There's really no haggling when it comes to hotels. And if you're booking through Agoda, then you're paying Agoda anyway, not the hotel.

No, if you're staying in Tokyo the whole time, you won't need a JR Rail pass. You could consider getting a day pass for the subways/trains.
Thank you so much. I suspected as much. Probably gonna stick with this hotel as it looks be a great value.
Oct 15, 2010
384 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Coolcicada wrote: 2. Being the first time in Japan and only having six full days, should I just stay in Tokyo the entire time? And if so, is there any reason to consider the rail pass? I see everyone buying one!
Although you don't need the rail pass, you can certainly do day trips out of Tokyo that are 1hr or lesss in travel on the normal trains (not bullet trains). Examples, Kamakura, Hakone, Yokohama etc. Your schedule is pretty tight though, you can certainly spend all of your days within Tokyo. Feel free to PM with your itenerary, I will be there around the same time.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23128 posts
2318 upvotes
Singapore
element0 wrote: Although you don't need the rail pass, you can certainly do day trips out of Tokyo that are 1hr or lesss in travel on the normal trains (not bullet trains). Examples, Kamakura, Hakone, Yokohama etc. Your schedule is pretty tight though, you can certainly spend all of your days within Tokyo. Feel free to PM with your itenerary, I will be there around the same time.
There is a lot to do in Tokyo. I spent an entire week in Tokyo about a decade ago and I still didn't see everything that I want. I guess it depends on what the OP wants to do though. 6 days is not a lot of time. Whenever I'm on vacation, time flies.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2013
1045 posts
4135 upvotes
Toronto
element0 wrote: Although you don't need the rail pass, you can certainly do day trips out of Tokyo that are 1hr or lesss in travel on the normal trains (not bullet trains). Examples, Kamakura, Hakone, Yokohama etc. Your schedule is pretty tight though, you can certainly spend all of your days within Tokyo. Feel free to PM with your itenerary, I will be there around the same time.
Thank you. I was wondering possibly doing one day trip over to that view of Mt Fuji by the red pagoda, but yeah it does seem that there is a ton to do in Tokyo.

Don’t really have a itinerary made up yet, I really procrastinated on this. Just sitting down to do it this weekend but I’ll hit you up with one later. There is also a subreddit with a bunch of itineraries, and some with our dates.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2013
1045 posts
4135 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
There is a lot to do in Tokyo. I spent an entire week in Tokyo about a decade ago and I still didn't see everything that I want. I guess it depends on what the OP wants to do though. 6 days is not a lot of time. Whenever I'm on vacation, time flies.
Yeah, I’m not worried about that. Just gonna hit up the some of the main attractions, eat some good food and also focus on those sumo and temple events. I’ll definitely be back to Japan I think the future but probably not over this specific set of dates.

I missed the boat on getting tickets for the Gibili Museum, but seems like the YAYOIK USAMA museum still has tickets. If anyone has any information on the which places require advanced tickets that are likely to sell out, please do share.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23128 posts
2318 upvotes
Singapore
Coolcicada wrote: Yeah, I’m not worried about that. Just gonna hit up the some of the main attractions, eat some good food and also focus on those sumo and temple events. I’ll definitely be back to Japan I think the future but probably not over this specific set of dates.

I missed the boat on getting tickets for the Gibili Museum, but seems like the YAYOIK USAMA museum still has tickets. If anyone has any information on the which places require advanced tickets that are likely to sell out, please do share.
It's pretty funny because that's what I said. It's been nearly a decade since I was in Japan and I'm heading back soon. Circumstances change in life. It's best not to think what you're going to do in the future and just plan accordingly for this trip.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2013
1045 posts
4135 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote: It's pretty funny because that's what I said. It's been nearly a decade since I was in Japan and I'm heading back soon. Circumstances change in life. It's best not to think what you're going to do in the future and just plan accordingly for this trip.
Haha, man, ain't that the truth. Yeah, I know, but I'm still in my mid 20's, no wife, no kids...yet. In my perfect little world, this trip was to knock out some of the major attractions, and get a taste of the culture...then head back next year during the Olympics. I am though trying to knock out a bunch of things before kids happen...so doing Singapore right after Japan, then a few days in HK before visiting family in China. I also have Barcelona booked this September. :)

Hope you have a great time on this trip. I wonder how much has changed over the last ten years. I mean, in Beijing where I go every other year, it is crazy even the change between visits.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5349 posts
2456 upvotes
I returned from Tokyo a few days ago. Some random comments to help out others...

- Pocket wifi is available for rent at the airports. But many hotels in Asia provide one to use for free.
- If you're staying in one city then there's no need to get a JR Pass. I stayed in Tokyo for a week and spent 6,000 yen for public trains in the city.
- ATMs supporting the Plus network used in Canada are in all the convenience stores.
- Japan doesn't seem to rip anyone off. Majority of my meals were $10-20 CAD. Department store food halls are really good for bento boxes and takeout.
- There's a lot less English in Tokyo than people say. I just pointed to things and the other person understood.
- Remember that Asia medium = Canada small.
- I stayed with the Nishitetsu Inn hotel chain and would highly recommend them. Microwaves and coin laundry (300 yen wash and 100 yen dry) on site. Had I known earlier I would've bought bento boxes to reheat for breakfast and brought less clothes because I could wash them at the hotel.
Dec 12, 2005
983 posts
398 upvotes
Richmond
Coolcicada wrote: First time going to Japan, going to be there from May 15, to the 21st. Very excited! A few questions...

1. Does anyone have any insight into the area around Sugamo station? I've reserved a hotel (smile sugamo hotel) there through Agoda for just $75CAD/night after fees. Seems like a great deal compared to others that I've seen. This price includes the service fees and tax. Any chance to get those reduced or waived? Also, it seems like a random hotel with pretty good reviews, but would it be worth paying around $110CAD/night for an APA Hotel instead? Was considering the one in the PRIDE building but this deal popped up. I usually go the AirBNB route but Japan seems like a bad place for it.

2. Being the first time in Japan and only having six full days, should I just stay in Tokyo the entire time? And if so, is there any reason to consider the rail pass? I see everyone buying one!

3. Any suggestions around these dates would be great. Randomly booked these days on a great deal from United and ANA. It seems to fall in line with the sumo show and the Sanja Matsuri. If anyone has any experience with these two events, please do share.

Thanks everyone.
6 days is a good time to just stay in Tokyo, and not worth the $$ to spend for the JR pass. Lots of places to see and plus you have to factor in jetlag. Get the subway pass for getting around Tokyo.

For your hotel, as long as you are near a subway station, you are good. Make sure though the distance is walkable. Japan is getting tighter on airbnb, and now requires license to be able to rent it out for airbnb.
Oct 3, 2011
604 posts
387 upvotes
OTTAWA
Coolcicada wrote: First time going to Japan, going to be there from May 15, to the 21st. Very excited! A few questions...

1. Does anyone have any insight into the area around Sugamo station? I've reserved a hotel (smile sugamo hotel) there through Agoda for just $75CAD/night after fees. Seems like a great deal compared to others that I've seen. This price includes the service fees and tax. Any chance to get those reduced or waived? Also, it seems like a random hotel with pretty good reviews, but would it be worth paying around $110CAD/night for an APA Hotel instead? Was considering the one in the PRIDE building but this deal popped up. I usually go the AirBNB route but Japan seems like a bad place for it.

3. Any suggestions around these dates would be great. Randomly booked these days on a great deal from United and ANA. It seems to fall in line with the sumo show and the Sanja Matsuri. If anyone has any experience with these two events, please do share.

Thanks everyone.
1. What you will see in japan is that the price listed is what the price is. There is no haggling. To charge more than what is fair and value is sort of culturally dishonest. While there are a few places that are more expensive for the same kind of thing, it's not really in the nature of day to day business to haggle anything. I wouldn't say there's gouging or ripping off, but there are prices of better value for services/products exchanged.

2. What most people are buying is the national rail pass. Consider it primarily for using the bullet trains as that's what is the bulk of the cost in these trips. If you are in only 1 city or region, depending on your itinerary, it's usually not worth it to get the national pass. A regional pass might be of value, otherwise the IC cash fare cards like suica/passmo etc will be what you need. There is no discounts for using the IC cards over cash buying tickets, but the paper ticket system is confusing for travelers. Even locals have a hard time getting it right.

3. I'm not terribly interested in sumo, but a friend of mine went, he said it was quite interesting. Any time you can go to a matsuri, go check it out. The festivals are something we don't have here so they're always interesting to see and experience local culture.
May 19, 2009
885 posts
1234 upvotes
Vancouver
Just wondering if anyone is familiar with using luggage delivery service for layovers.

So as mentioned before, I'll be flying YVR -> NRT, HND -> ITM, then KIX -> NRT -> YVR soon. Normally I mail my luggages from my friend's house to the airport so that I don't have to carry them onto the train (2 giant luggages are pretty hard to drag on my own). This time though, since I'll be stopping by Osaka, I don't really want to send both luggages to Osaka with me.

I plan to mail one to the Osaka hotel (it's doable to drag one to KIX on my way back), and mail the other to NRT and pick that up during the layover. My KIX -> NRT leg is with JetStar, while the NRT -> YVR leg is with JAL. All on the same itinerary. Will they let me check in a second luggage at NRT, or do I need to check in both luggages together at KIX?

Thanks in advance for any input :)
May 17, 2005
313 posts
43 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Anyone know whether getting a pocket wifi is worth it? I have roam from home with Rogers and wondering if the $12 fee works out better over a 12 day trip.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15684 posts
7397 upvotes
Toronto, ON
izzybear wrote: Anyone know whether getting a pocket wifi is worth it? I have roam from home with Rogers and wondering if the $12 fee works out better over a 12 day trip.
Definitely not worth doing Roam Like Home for a 12 day trip (comes to $144). Although I've never used a pocket wifi, I think you should at least consider getting a data sim card instead of Roam Like Home, which would only cost you about $40CAD for a 15 day card (or about 5 GB data bucket). I've used both of the following options before and both work great.

Bmobile Visitor SIM - 5GB / 21 days - ~$41CAD
https://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html

Asia-Pacific Plus Unlimited data SIM / 15 days Japan and other parts of Asia-Pacific - $37.99CAD
https://www.amazon.ca/Asia-Pacific-Unli ... B075882XFD

The difference between the two is that for the Bmobile sim you need to either get it shipped to an airport for you to pick up or shipped to your hotel. I used this last year and had no issues. This year, I needed a data sim that worked in other parts of Asia (because I was arriving through Taiwan) and needed the sim card before I arrive, so I opted for the second option from Amazon.

Others have posted even better deals if you pick up the data sim locally or from the airport. But if you want to have the sim card ordered or shipped to you to Canada before the trip, then the two options I mentioned will be fine.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9290 posts
3150 upvotes
Mississauga
izzybear wrote: Anyone know whether getting a pocket wifi is worth it? I have roam from home with Rogers and wondering if the $12 fee works out better over a 12 day trip.
Last year I ordered a pocket wifi from IVideo.

This time I ordered this Sim card thru Amazon so I can use it in both Japan and Korea:
https://www.amazon.ca/GMYLE-Rechargeabl ... 1-fkmrnull
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15684 posts
7397 upvotes
Toronto, ON
yao416 wrote: $13.8 a day. Wouldn’t it be better to just roam? Of course you’d have to have enough data on your plan.
That's $13.8 HKD per day. Works out to around $2.40 CAD per day...
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29323 posts
10707 upvotes
Hamilton
rvs007 wrote: That's $13.8 HKD per day. Works out to around $2.40 CAD per day...

Oh wow lol

This is sim less data?
hated on but respected.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)