Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10202 posts
4825 upvotes
Toronto
Long sleeves and light jacket.
SquirreI wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 12:44 pm
Any ideas what clothes to bring last week of march and first week of april in Japan? I'm looking at their current weather Tokyo is about 10-13 degrees, so i'm going to assume late march and early april will be around 18 degrees? In that case, ditch the jackets and go shorts and shirts? Was thinking about bringing a jacket or coat because there might be breezy winds, but if it's going to be 15-20 degrees then it'd just be wasted space in my luggage.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5106 posts
564 upvotes
in a plane
HP_John wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 10:24 am
So I just came back from Japan. While there, I decided to go workout at a gym, it was maybe 7:30 pm. I workout regularly in Canada. I saw a iPhone X or XS at a machine. In Canada, typically if you leave such a phone behind, chances are probably someone is gonna take it. I decided to take the phone to the front desk & told them to hold it for the rightful owner. They told me not to worry, no one will take it & actually put it back at the machine (they asked me which machine I found it at). Next afternoon, I return to the gym at 1:30 pm, phone is still at the same spot (at a machine). I saw someone come in & was asking about a missing phone (I can understand some basic Japanese). Staff directed the person to the machine where phone was left behind the day before.

In my mind, I was kind of shocked, because in Canada, if this happened, I'm almost 100% positive someone would've taken the phone & put it on kijiji. In Japan, the staff were 100% sure no one would take it even if they left it at the same machine.
I once left my phone on the airport bus in Osaka going to Tokyo. By the time I realised it, I had already gotten off at the airport and the bus moved on. I decided not to miss my flight and just called the airport bus company ... and they mailed me my phone to Tokyo.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1188 posts
850 upvotes
Canada
HP_John wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 10:24 am
So I just came back from Japan. While there, I decided to go workout at a gym, it was maybe 7:30 pm. I workout regularly in Canada. I saw a iPhone X or XS at a machine. In Canada, typically if you leave such a phone behind, chances are probably someone is gonna take it. I decided to take the phone to the front desk & told them to hold it for the rightful owner. They told me not to worry, no one will take it & actually put it back at the machine (they asked me which machine I found it at). Next afternoon, I return to the gym at 1:30 pm, phone is still at the same spot (at a machine). I saw someone come in & was asking about a missing phone (I can understand some basic Japanese). Staff directed the person to the machine where phone was left behind the day before.

In my mind, I was kind of shocked, because in Canada, if this happened, I'm almost 100% positive someone would've taken the phone & put it on kijiji. In Japan, the staff were 100% sure no one would take it even if they left it at the same machine.
Gaijin will ruin that culture...
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4364 posts
489 upvotes
SquirreI wrote:
Any ideas what clothes to bring last week of march and first week of april in Japan? I'm looking at their current weather Tokyo is about 10-13 degrees, so i'm going to assume late march and early april will be around 18 degrees? In that case, ditch the jackets and go shorts and shirts? Was thinking about bringing a jacket or coat because there might be breezy winds, but if it's going to be 15-20 degrees then it'd just be wasted space in my luggage.
The thing I found was, it feels colder than it is. At least this was my experience. Meaning if the forecast says 0, it doesn't feel like 0, it feels colder. It was around 0 but windy for many of the days I was in Tokyo & Osaka. This is just my personal experience
I am a Koodo customer
Oct 3, 2011
104 posts
70 upvotes
OTTAWA
SquirreI wrote:
nights can feel very cold and afternoon sun can feel very hot. I think it would be a bit cool for shorts this early. I always bring a light jacket and long pants in the 3 times I've gone spring and fall.
Aug 26, 2017
41 posts
13 upvotes
SquirreI wrote:
I went late March last year. It was cold in the morning and evenings but really hot during the day so I would bring a jacket/hoodie/or something you can easily take off.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11672 posts
3738 upvotes
Toronto, ON
skyra322 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:33 am
I went late March last year. It was cold in the morning and evenings but really hot during the day so I would bring a jacket/hoodie/or something you can easily take off.
I agree.. we were there in mid-March and during the second week of March it got quite cold (even had snow on one of the days), but by the third week of March it got the the mid-20's during the day, but still the mid to low 10's at night. Definitely good to bring layers and a backpack so you can take off & wear as conditions change.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1165 posts
205 upvotes
Vancouver
HP_John wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:59 am

The thing I found was, it feels colder than it is. At least this was my experience. Meaning if the forecast says 0, it doesn't feel like 0, it feels colder. It was around 0 but windy for many of the days I was in Tokyo & Osaka. This is just my personal experience
lurkknight wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 10:36 am

nights can feel very cold and afternoon sun can feel very hot. I think it would be a bit cool for shorts this early. I always bring a light jacket and long pants in the 3 times I've gone spring and fall.
skyra322 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:33 am

rvs007 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:47 am
I agree.. we were there in mid-March and during the second week of March it got quite cold (even had snow on one of the days), but by the third week of March it got the the mid-20's during the day, but still the mid to low 10's at night. Definitely good to bring layers and a backpack so you can take off & wear as conditions change.
Thanks guys, I'll take your word for it being cold at certain times since we are in Canada. Seems like VERY mixed weather. Maybe i'll just bring 1 pair of pants, 1 pair of shorts, and 1 jacket. still a lot to pack lol. Or maybe i'll just ditch the shorts altogether. 20-22 is already blazing hot for me so if it gets to that i'm uncomfortable in pants.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1165 posts
205 upvotes
Vancouver
Is there significantly less foreigners outside of Tokyo? I'm trying to decide where I should stay the longest, Tokyo i'll stay for 5 days, then I'll move to Osaka, pretty sure that's another foreigner central, not sure how long i'll stay there, maybe 5 days again, and then i'm thinking Kyushu or Hiroshima, or maybe Hokkaido, is it possible to get to Hokkaido by shinkansen?
Oct 20, 2007
54 posts
4 upvotes
Montreal
SquirreI wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:26 pm
Is there significantly less foreigners outside of Tokyo? I'm trying to decide where I should stay the longest, Tokyo i'll stay for 5 days, then I'll move to Osaka, pretty sure that's another foreigner central, not sure how long i'll stay there, maybe 5 days again, and then i'm thinking Kyushu or Hiroshima, or maybe Hokkaido, is it possible to get to Hokkaido by shinkansen?
It's possible depending where in Hokkaido you want to go. The Shinkansen goes all the way to Hakodate (4 hours from Tokyo), but it will almost take a whole day of travelling to get to Sapporo (another ~4 hours). The better option imo is to fly to CTS airport using the special flat fares for foreigners or booking with budget airlines. That's what I chose to do for my upcoming trip in April.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2583 posts
2021 upvotes
Please guys, whatever you do, don't chat up Japanese girls while airborne talking about anime and manga.

About 10 years ago I was returning on a flight from Tokyo and there was this guy with a French accent boring a Japanese girl to death with his vast comics and video game knowledge while reinforcing his view that Japanese culture is the best. I bet he spent his all vacation at Big Potato :)
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1165 posts
205 upvotes
Vancouver
magicdud wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 12:02 am
It's possible depending where in Hokkaido you want to go. The Shinkansen goes all the way to Hakodate (4 hours from Tokyo), but it will almost take a whole day of travelling to get to Sapporo (another ~4 hours). The better option imo is to fly to CTS airport using the special flat fares for foreigners or booking with budget airlines. That's what I chose to do for my upcoming trip in April.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html
Thanks. I might just stay at hakodate.
Oct 3, 2011
104 posts
70 upvotes
OTTAWA
SquirreI wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:26 pm
there are a lot of foreign tourists everywhere. With the rail system and rail pass it's easy for travelers to go almost anywhere in the country. Tokyo does have more tourists than osaka, just because it's tokyo, but I always found osaka to be far more welcoming even though the city is not as interesting.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1165 posts
205 upvotes
Vancouver
lurkknight wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:59 am
there are a lot of foreign tourists everywhere. With the rail system and rail pass it's easy for travelers to go almost anywhere in the country. Tokyo does have more tourists than osaka, just because it's tokyo, but I always found osaka to be far more welcoming even though the city is not as interesting.
That's really interesting to me, everyone says Osaka is so much more welcoming than Tokyo but Tokyo is already the most welcomed i've ever been in my entire life lol. Except the two times I went into a restaurant and it seems like I made everyone uncomfortable because I can't speak Japanese. I might just stay in Tokyo for 3 days then because i've already spent a week there 2 years ago, really intrigued about Osaka.
Dec 10, 2018
40 posts
20 upvotes
For people who visited Tokyo before: APA hotel shinjuku kabukicho tower

Anyone know if this hotel is good and located not too far from restaurants and attractions?
Regards
Fairypopo