None
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2264 posts
487 upvotes
Montreal
luckypal wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 5:52 pm
Thanks kenze, but I'm going to another Asian city before Japan.

Vancouver - Manila
Manila - Osaka
Tokyo - Vancouver

When I search for all three flights, there are options with stopovers amounting to $1k-1.2k/person for all three flights which isn't bad. If I go for all nonstop the prices it jumps to around 2k/person because of the non-stop flight from Tokyo to Vancouver which is $1.2k+++ per person. Was wondering how low can a one-way ticket go?
The following would be the cheapest alternative if you don't mind returning to Vancouver from Manila :

- Vancouver to Manila 13 hour direct flight. 688$ with Phillipine Airlines. (Sept-Oct)

- One way direct ticket from Manila to Tokyo 150~ with Jetstar (on certain dates)

- One way direct ticket from Osaka to Manila 100~ with Jetstar (on certain dates)
Nov 30, 2015
4 posts
Vancouver, BC
Thanks Kenze :) I bought Vancouver - Manila and Manila to Osaka for $760/person. Waiting for a good deal for Tokyo-Vancouver. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2264 posts
487 upvotes
Montreal
luckypal wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 2:38 am
Thanks Kenze :) I bought Vancouver - Manila and Manila to Osaka for $760/person. Waiting for a good deal for Tokyo-Vancouver. Keeping my fingers crossed!
I'm confused. Tokyo to Vancouver is the most expensive part of the trip and will probably always cost over 600$ making the total 1300$+.

Why didn't you book a roundtrip direct flight from Vancouver to Manila for 688$? That seemed like the best deal to be had if you combine it with cheap Jetstar flights .
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
2855 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
luckypal wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 2:38 am
should have bought a round trip for vancouver - manila. and find a cheaper flights between manila to japan. it costs more for 1 way tickets.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Nov 30, 2015
4 posts
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for your input. I didn't want to spend more time going back and forth to Manila. Schedule is pretty tight so I kept my travel time to a minimum.
May 15, 2016
834 posts
95 upvotes
Did anyone have issues with using credit cards in subway stations? I tried a couple and they were rejected. I'd informed that I'll be travelling already.
Feb 27, 2011
23 posts
3 upvotes
Does anyone have any experience renting a cellphone at a Japanese airport? For a variety of (non-financial) reasons, I'm not able to bring my Cdn phone on my next trip to Japan. Specifically, I will be looking for a company that will rent me a Smartphone (and has a pick up location in Narita T2).

SoftBank seems to have a half decent program, but is there a better alternative? In an ideal world, I'd love to be able to get my hands on a recent high end Android model (with a good camera).

Price is not a huge issue, as I can charge the expense to my work.

Thanks for any advice.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2264 posts
487 upvotes
Montreal
costaguana wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:00 pm
Does anyone have any experience renting a cellphone at a Japanese airport? For a variety of (non-financial) reasons, I'm not able to bring my Cdn phone on my next trip to Japan. Specifically, I will be looking for a company that will rent me a Smartphone (and has a pick up location in Narita T2).

SoftBank seems to have a half decent program, but is there a better alternative? In an ideal world, I'd love to be able to get my hands on a recent high end Android model (with a good camera).

Price is not a huge issue, as I can charge the expense to my work.

Thanks for any advice.
Why not just buy a backup phone? Renting a phone is expensive.

If your trip is in 2+ months then you can order a high end phone from China for cheap.

This is an example : http://www.geekbuying.com/item/LeTV-LeE ... 76308.html

Something smaller with similar specs : http://www.dx.com/p/lenovo-zuk-z2-z2131 ... Mys-DvysuU
Feb 27, 2011
23 posts
3 upvotes
kenze wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:36 pm
Why not just buy a backup phone? Renting a phone is expensive.

If your trip is in 2+ months then you can order a high end phone from China for cheap.

This is an example : http://www.geekbuying.com/item/LeTV-LeE ... 76308.html

Something smaller with similar specs : http://www.dx.com/p/lenovo-zuk-z2-z2131 ... Mys-DvysuU
It's a good suggestion (thanks) but I can expense a rental whereas I can't expense a new phone purchase. I don't actually have a work phone, and my organization just reimburses me for a roaming package when I travel for work. This is normally OK but (as mentioned above) there are some circumstances which are preventing me from bringing my Canadian cell on my next Japan trip. So I'm going to need a separate handset just for a few days, which is why a rental is more attractive.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2264 posts
487 upvotes
Montreal
costaguana wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 2:38 am
It's a good suggestion (thanks) but I can expense a rental whereas I can't expense a new phone purchase. I don't actually have a work phone, and my organization just reimburses me for a roaming package when I travel for work. This is normally OK but (as mentioned above) there are some circumstances which are preventing me from bringing my Canadian cell on my next Japan trip. So I'm going to need a separate handset just for a few days, which is why a rental is more attractive.
I understand but I guess you could decide to purchase a backup phone for more than just work. (vacations, if you lose your phone etc.) and not expect to be reimbursed.

If you don't want to do that then you should go ahead with the rental + insurance (for your peace of mind) and bill your company the expense.
Feb 27, 2011
23 posts
3 upvotes
kenze wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 6:56 am
I understand but I guess you could decide to purchase a backup phone for more than just work. (vacations, if you lose your phone etc.) and not expect to be reimbursed.

If you don't want to do that then you should go ahead with the rental + insurance (for your peace of mind) and bill your company the expense.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a second look at the option you are suggesting.
Dec 25, 2015
1 posts
Hey guys, I'm looking to go to Japan for 2 weeks in September. Right now Air Canada is having a "sale" for Asia flights but the cheapest I can find is priced at $1250 to $1350 round trip non-stop. This seems rather pricy. I see several posts in this thread about getting cheaper Spring/Fall deals at around $700. Do you guys know when approximately those deals will show up? When should I book to avoid price hike closer to the departure date? Thanks a lot.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2264 posts
487 upvotes
Montreal
Holyxel wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 12:18 am
Hey guys, I'm looking to go to Japan for 2 weeks in September. Right now Air Canada is having a "sale" for Asia flights but the cheapest I can find is priced at $1250 to $1350 round trip non-stop. This seems rather pricy. I see several posts in this thread about getting cheaper Spring/Fall deals at around $700. Do you guys know when approximately those deals will show up? When should I book to avoid price hike closer to the departure date? Thanks a lot.
First off, I recommend October instead of September because Aug-Sep is typhoon/rainy season in Japan.

You're right, it is pricey and there's no reason to book your trip at that price because that's regular price. You'll probably start seeing deals for the fall around May.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3400 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
vivibaby wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:23 pm
Did anyone have issues with using credit cards in subway stations? I tried a couple and they were rejected. I'd informed that I'll be travelling already.
I don't recall seeing any subway station ticket machines in Tokyo or Kyoto that take credit card...
Anyway, have you tried going to the manned ticket counters? If you just need to load your IC card, you can go to any train station, Lawson, or (I believe?) 7-Eleven as well,
Nov 23, 2010
445 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
twotterdhc6 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 10:18 am
I don't recall seeing any subway station ticket machines in Tokyo or Kyoto that take credit card...
Anyway, have you tried going to the manned ticket counters? If you just need to load your IC card, you can go to any train station, Lawson, or (I believe?) 7-Eleven as well,
I also did not see any subway stations that took credit card at the machines as of Oct 2016 (my last trip).

For subway stations/commuting I highly recommend you use up all your change as much as you can. If you come back with any currency in change, no one will exchange it back into CDN.

Just wanted to note that.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel