• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 6:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
3055 posts
1665 upvotes
Cyclic wrote: Hello everyone, my family (3 adults and 18 month child). We've already booked our stay and a bit of an itinerary planned out. We'll be visiting Osaka, Kyoto and then Tokyo in that order. Looking for some advice on great attractions (for family and just my wife and I) and also what to look out for travelling with a child in Japan.

We're hoping to hit up some nice Ramen shops like Ichiran and a very good omakase. We've been looking for one of those highly rated Sushi shops in Tokyo for an omakase but reservations at this time seems to be impossible. Got JR passes for 7 days and using it starting on our trip from Osaka to Kyoto. So JR passes are only valid from April 19th to the 25th. What transit passes would I need for the starting days in Osaka and last days in Tokyo? Is there one that can be used for both cities?

Here is our itinerary so far:

Osaka April 15-19 (4 nights)
15th: Land in Osaka at 6PM - Going to Airbnb
16th: Osaka Castle
17th:
18th:
Kyoto April 19-23 (4 nights)
19th: Bullet train to Kyoto. Check-in airbnb at 3PM and explore
20th:
21st:
22nd:
Hakone April 23-24 (1 night)
23rd: Head to Hakone for Ryokan
Tokyo April 24-29 (5 nights)
24th: Bullet train to Tokyo. Check-in airbnb at 3 and explore
25th:
26th:
27th:
28th:
29th: Leave for airport to return home.

Thanks.
I recommend getting the Osaka Amazing Pass for Osaka and not an ICOCA card. It is fairly cheap and it includes admission to many top tourist attractions (such as the first one on your list, Osaka Castle, in addition to Dontonbori boat ride, Osaka Zoo, Umeda Building Observatory, etc.), which separately would more than cover the pass.
It is not valid on JR lines, just regular Osaka Subway/Bus. It's available for 1 or 2 days maximum. I used it last time and it was well worth it. You can buy it at Osaka station.

You could also do a 1 day trip to Kobe with your JR Pass, depends how much you are into Temples in Kyoto.
Oct 10, 2009
137 posts
23 upvotes
Hamilton
zzzz24 wrote: I recommend getting the Osaka Amazing Pass for Osaka and not an ICOCA card. It is fairly cheap and it includes admission to many top tourist attractions (such as the first one on your list, Osaka Castle, in addition to Dontonbori boat ride, Osaka Zoo, Umeda Building Observatory, etc.), which separately would more than cover the pass.
It is not valid on JR lines, just regular Osaka Subway/Bus. It's available for 1 or 2 days maximum. I used it last time and it was well worth it. You can buy it at Osaka station.

You could also do a 1 day trip to Kobe with your JR Pass, depends how much you are into Temples in Kyoto.
Wow, $40 for a 2 day passes with a lot of interesting attractions. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
3055 posts
1665 upvotes
Cyclic wrote: Wow, $40 for a 2 day passes with a lot of interesting attractions. Thanks!
It even includes admission to an Onsen hot spring... which was pretty decent imo. Perfect place to get adjusted to the onsen experience before doing it in Hakone after your long flight.
Apr 4, 2017
26 posts
4 upvotes
MoonDoggy wrote: For Tokyo, you generally want to stay near a subway station (which isn't hard thing to do). The area would depend what or how long you are staying out. Subway closes early and taxi prices jump significantly after subway closure. Since there are no last call in Japan, bars and restaurants are always open. Staying near the Yamanote JR (circle line) train line would mostly take you to where tourists would go.

In terms of Uber/Lyft, it's almost non existence since the taxi service industry is so good. It's just very pricy in city centres.
Very helpful. Thank you.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cyclic wrote: Hello everyone, my family (3 adults and 18 month child). We've already booked our stay and a bit of an itinerary planned out. We'll be visiting Osaka, Kyoto and then Tokyo in that order. Looking for some advice on great attractions (for family and just my wife and I) and also what to look out for travelling with a child in Japan.

We're hoping to hit up some nice Ramen shops like Ichiran and a very good omakase. We've been looking for one of those highly rated Sushi shops in Tokyo for an omakase but reservations at this time seems to be impossible. Got JR passes for 7 days and using it starting on our trip from Osaka to Kyoto. So JR passes are only valid from April 19th to the 25th. What transit passes would I need for the starting days in Osaka and last days in Tokyo? Is there one that can be used for both cities?

17th:
18th:
20th:
21st:
22nd:
25th:
26th:
27th:
28th:

Thanks.
When you get to Odawara station as you get off the Shinkansen on your way to Hakone, purchase the Hakone 2-day Free Pass, which will give you unlimited access to the Hakone Tozen trains, buses, cablecars, ropeway and the Hakone cruise ship for the 2 days you'll be there.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Not sure if anyone here has mentioned this before in this thread, but one app I found valuable during my recent 2 week trip in Japan is the Tokaido Sanyo Shinkansen Reservation App (Smart EX):

https://smart-ex.jp/en/lp/app/

It allows you to search for and book reserved & non-reserved rides on the Tokaido Sanyo Shinkansen using your smartphone and credit card. That way, you can be sure there are seats available before you get to the station. You can also use the app to change any bookings without penalty as long as the change is made before your departure. The app is available on Google and Apple App Store, but for iOS it's only available in the US app store, so you'll need to create a US app store account. To purchase the Shinkansen tickets, you just need a credit card. Once the purchase is made on the app, you can pick up the train ticket at any major shinkansen stations (not just the station you are departing from). You need to use the same credit card and app password at the terminal to pick up the tickets.

This is useful to those who are not planning to buy a JR pass, as it allows you to plan your shinkansen rides ahead of time.
Apr 8, 2011
267 posts
65 upvotes

17th:
18th:
20th:
21st:
22nd:
25th:
26th:
27th:
28th:

Thanks.
For kids or even adults, Osaka has a nice Aquarium.

Not sure if your kid is still in diapers, but lots of diaper changing facilities in department stores and subway stations.
Many restaurants will have 'baby chair' (small high chair without tray) or small child chairs for tatami seating areas.

Went recently with a 4yo and <1yo.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2205 posts
1124 upvotes

(snipped)
If shinkasen (bullet train) ticket cost isn't too big a concern, Himeji castle (UNSECO site) is a much better alternative to Osaka Castle.

If you have a visa infinite /mastercard world / amex platinum and above cards, you can try using the card's concierge for table reservation. i haven't personally tried myself, but i have heard some success (and helpful with bridging the language barrier).

Ramen shops will be a challenge with such a small child tho. Since it's usually pretty tight.

Train your back and thigh now and prepare to carry the toddler on a baby carrier. Strollers will be difficult to manage in crowded places like Shinjuku or on train/subway during rush hour.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2205 posts
1124 upvotes
DamionG727 wrote: Marking the thread.

Im planning a trip to Tokyo with a couple friends from June 12-19th. Originally I was thinking just Tokyo, but after reading the thread a little, it seems that Kyoto for a couple days for sight seeing is recommended.

In Tokyo, we'd like to experience the food and nightlife. We are planning to do an Airbnb, does it matter where we stay?

Im sure we'll use the trains quite a bit. How's Uber and Lyft, anyone have any experience with it in Tokyo?

Great thread! Thanks in advance
there is an app called JapanTaxi for booking taxi. It shows u the approximate rate and everything ahead of time, too. Also allows paying in credit card, no cash needed. I've recently used it in Fukuoka and would vouch it.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1092 posts
402 upvotes
toronto
rvs007 wrote: When you get to Odawara station as you get off the Shinkansen on your way to Hakone, purchase the Hakone 2-day Free Pass, which will give you unlimited access to the Hakone Tozen trains, buses, cablecars, ropeway and the Hakone cruise ship for the 2 days you'll be there.
by the way the Free pass is not free.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1092 posts
402 upvotes
toronto

17th:
18th:
20th:
21st:
22nd:
25th:
26th:
27th:
28th:

Thanks.
check but i think you would be much cheaper buying individual tickets. also no need to pay for Shinkansen Osaka-Kyoto. Limited express is about 40 minutes.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2205 posts
1124 upvotes
foreigncontent wrote: check but i think you would be much cheaper buying individual tickets. also no need to pay for Shinkansen Osaka-Kyoto. Limited express is about 40 minutes.
i was gonna day the same thing. then i realized he already got the pass
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1782 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
manho wrote: If shinkasen (bullet train) ticket cost isn't too big a concern, Himeji castle (UNSECO site) is a much better alternative to Osaka Castle.
Seconded. Himeji Castle is one of the most beautiful buildings in the world, with fabulous grounds, and it's just been restored. Osaka Castle is a concrete reproduction of what used to be there.
Apr 4, 2017
26 posts
4 upvotes
manho wrote: there is an app called JapanTaxi for booking taxi. It shows u the approximate rate and everything ahead of time, too. Also allows paying in credit card, no cash needed. I've recently used it in Fukuoka and would vouch it.
Sweet. That's good to know. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
foreigncontent wrote: by the way the Free pass is not free.
Well obviously... hence I said purchase... :-)
Apr 4, 2017
26 posts
4 upvotes
For those who have traveled and spent time if Tokyo. What were some of your favourite sightseeing experiences in the city? The Tokyo skytree seems to be fairly popular from what I've read. What are your thoughts on it?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
2521 posts
1433 upvotes
Toronto
DamionG727 wrote: For those who have traveled and spent time if Tokyo. What were some of your favourite sightseeing experiences in the city? The Tokyo skytree seems to be fairly popular from what I've read. What are your thoughts on it?
Lots of places are recommended in YouTube videos (search top 10 <or whatever> things to do in Tokyo.

I recommend going up the metropolitan government building in Shinjuku (free and great view!). Also the park in Shinjuku is beautiful. (Need to pay a small entrance fee).

The aquarium near the sky tree was very nice as well.

So many great places and things to do in Tokyo and Japan. Just recommend watching lots of videos and taking notes of those that interest you. Been there twice and can’t wait to go back next year. Best destination I’ve been to (and I’ve been places!)
Celebrating 21+ years on RFD!
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
2005 posts
691 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, agree with @wysiwyg. Tokyo is definitely one of the cities that you can do multiple times, if not indefinite number of times because its always changing at such a fast pace and there's just so much to do.

On a side note: has anyone ever brought back packaged sauces (canned or sealed) that may contain cooked meats (something like a bolognese, etc)? Is this something you need to declare?

Found this page which states you have to declare it regardless and lists what you can bring back to Canada: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/inform ... 8516990#a2
Herbs, spices, tea, coffee, condiments
entry permitted
Would prepared pasta sauces or curries be considered condiments? lol
Mar 6, 2010
895 posts
382 upvotes
Brampton
I would like to have a good peek at Mount Fuji. I am not too keen to climb it so I guess the best option for me to observe it would be from a bullet train.
Can someone please tell me which destination city i need to choose to travel to from Tokyo to see the Mount Fuji?
Secondly, is Kyoto do-able as a day trip from Tokyo, starting early at 7 AM?
And Finally, is it true that line ups at narita for foreigners are usually an hour to 90 mins long?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

emptywallet1963