None
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2008
2034 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Jereina wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 9:41 pm
If you're just going to do the 3 most popular cities for tourists in Japan, its not worth getting a 2 week JR pass. JR Pass is most worth it if you're doing lots of long distance travel. The 7 day JR pass pays for itself once you do a Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka-Tokyo.

Now if you're willing to travel to cities outside of the 3 main tourist sites of Japan, then it may be worth it depending on where you travel.

2 weeks is a lot for just those 3 cities in my opinion.

Here is my suggestion if you're going to get a 2 week pass:

Spend the night in Tokyo
Kyoto for 3 days 2 nights
Osaka for 2 days
You can make Osaka as your base since Osaka has a nightlife if you're into that
Day trip to Nara
Day Trip to Kobe
Day trip to Himeji
Nagoya for a night
Hakone for a night if you want to experience hot springs
Rest of the time in Tokyo
Also Nikko can be done in a day trip

Subtract as needed

There's more to Japan than Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto.
Thanks for the detailed response Jereina!

I completely agree that there is more to Japan than the three places I've listed, problem for me and company is dragging luggage through different spots everyday. So thinking of setting base in 1 or 2 location and doing multiple day trips (areas around Osaka/Kyoto). So maybe like Chillychin suggested that I get the 7 day pass instead and hope I have enough things to do for the remaining time in Tokyo.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated as kinda not knowing what to expect or to-do.
Live, Eat, Sleep, Breathe RFD!! :twisted:
Nov 23, 2010
630 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
asdisme wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 10:49 pm
Thanks for detailed reply Chillychin!

That was my original thought with the 7 day JR Train pass. From HND Airport-->Tokyo (either stay couple days or go directly to Osaka via JR Train & set base for 7 days. Knock out the surrounding areas/cities with day trips (Will JR pass work through Kansai region or will I require another pass for transportation in that area?).

Then on the 7th day - JR train back to Tokyo and set base there for the remaining time before heading back to HND airport. (What would be best to travel within Tokyo? Read something regarding Pasmo and Suica Cards)

Thanks again! Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Once you head out of Tokyo, the JR pass is largely good for only inter city travel.

So for example, travel between Osaka -> Kyoto, Kyoto -> Nara etc.

Osaka has their own subway system. I was only there for a few days and spent more time in Tokyo and was based near the Shin Osaka station, so didnt really use the subway. But most of the subway systems work the same in Japan. You buy a ticket at a machine and then go through the turn stile feeding your ticket in one side, then out the other.

Kyoto does not have a subway system if I recall, but a very large inter connected bus service.

I just bought day passes when I was in Kyoto for travel on the bus.

If you were in Tokyo, there is the JR line subway line you can use, the Yamanote line. For using the subway I also got a day pass from the machines in Tokyo as I actually had a 2 week JR pass and had to go a few days without using it.

Of course, when your researching places to travel to in Japan dont forget to build in buffer time in finding places, as some places can get quite confusing due to the many rail services over lapping.

Hope this helps!
Jan 10, 2009
485 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
chillychin wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 8:15 am
Kyoto does not have a subway system if I recall, but a very large inter connected bus service.
Kyoto does have a subway, but it's more of a blink and you'll miss it kind of system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Municipal_Subway
Usefully it takes Pasmo cards so if you have credit on a Pasmo from Tokyo you can use it on Kyoto as well.
Dec 14, 2011
195 posts
27 upvotes
York
Hey guys,

Recently got the HK/Japan deal for $677 for my girlfriend and I, and have plans to arrive in Tokyo on May 7th and depart May 11th. We are going to be staying at the APA Hotel Shinjuku-Gyoemmae but are debating if we should find an Airbnb that offers a free pocket wifi device. We don't plan on visiting any other parts of Japan due to our limited time frame. After going through all 52 pages in this thread, I have answered most of my questions but still have a few questions that are unanswered.

1. When is a good time to get some JPY? As of today, 1 CAD = ~89.5yen on Kantor. Is this a reasonable time to buy? If not, what is the recommended amount of yen I should get per Canadian dollar?

2. What is Tokyo's equivalent of the Presto card? If I'm not mistaken, it should be the Suica. Do they offer any 3-4 day unlimited ride passes?
Mar 15, 2004
263 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
416vtyou wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 2:11 pm
Hey guys,

Recently got the HK/Japan deal for $677 for my girlfriend and I, and have plans to arrive in Tokyo on May 7th and depart May 11th. We are going to be staying at the APA Hotel Shinjuku-Gyoemmae but are debating if we should find an Airbnb that offers a free pocket wifi device. We don't plan on visiting any other parts of Japan due to our limited time frame. After going through all 52 pages in this thread, I have answered most of my questions but still have a few questions that are unanswered.

1. When is a good time to get some JPY? As of today, 1 CAD = ~89.5yen on Kantor. Is this a reasonable time to buy? If not, what is the recommended amount of yen I should get per Canadian dollar?

2. What is Tokyo's equivalent of the Presto card? If I'm not mistaken, it should be the Suica. Do they offer any 3-4 day unlimited ride passes?
1. You still have a lot of time to get money. I can't predict the future so just buy some now is my suggestion since went up by a bit recently. It could go up or down at any time due to various factors.

2. Tokyo has 2 types of IC cards but they're basically the same. JR sells the Suica card whereas the other transit systems sell the Pasmo card. If you do get one and want to refund it, you have to go to the respective transit system to do it. For example if u get a Suica card from a JR station, you have to refund it at a JR station. You cannot refund it at a Tokyo Metro station and vice versa.
Tokyo Metro offers a 1, 2, or 3 day unlimited ride pass.
Check here: http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/valu ... index.html
You're able to get it when you arrive at the airport it seems.
Apr 12, 2012
756 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
416vtyou wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 2:11 pm
Hey guys,

Don't know if this matters to you, but the APA chain has a boss who's ultra racist/fascist and a nanking massacre-denialist. Chinese people in particular have not been using this chain for a long time. I am only saying this since you had HKG in your itinerary so I thought you guys may have some connection to Hong Kong.

The JPY is just going to keep on going up and up esp. in this time of turmoil in world politics (think ISIS/North Korea/Iran/Trump). It's a safe-haven currency.
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Apr 12, 2012
756 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/ ... -olympics/

Apa hotels won’t remove books that deny 1937 Rape of Nanking for Olympics

A Japanese hotelier who denies the 1937 massacre by the Imperial Japanese Army in the Chinese city known today as Nanjing ever took place has “no intention” of removing books with his revisionist views from his hotel rooms during the 2020 Summer Olympics.
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Dec 14, 2011
195 posts
27 upvotes
York
lemieux035 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 9:07 pm
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/ ... -olympics/

Apa hotels won’t remove books that deny 1937 Rape of Nanking for Olympics

A Japanese hotelier who denies the 1937 massacre by the Imperial Japanese Army in the Chinese city known today as Nanjing ever took place has “no intention” of removing books with his revisionist views from his hotel rooms during the 2020 Summer Olympics.
Wow that's pretty messed up.. I'm going to HKG because I'm cantonese, so maybe I will try a little harder looking for an Airbnb lol
Aug 31, 2017
197 posts
48 upvotes
Can't wait to go back - such a fun place to explore even travelling solo.
May 30, 2005
921 posts
67 upvotes
where is the best place to get yen in toronto? i am heading to japan next week.
Apr 12, 2012
756 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
In Vaughan Mills, they have a fair exchange across the Bass Pro shop
- Mahatma Gandhi
Jan 10, 2009
485 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
link627 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 12:29 am
Last time I found CaliForex on Queen Street West to be the best.
Apr 22, 2007
249 posts
37 upvotes
Markham
link627 wrote:
I'm also heading to Hong Kong/Japan next week, I just got exchange done at Kantor. Didn't reserve online but they had enough yen on hand when I walked in.
Jun 27, 2007
179 posts
14 upvotes
California
link627 wrote:
You probably will be better served just getting money out of a 7-Eleven ATM in Japan. The rates will be better.
May 30, 2005
921 posts
67 upvotes
fr33style wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 4:58 pm
You probably will be better served just getting money out of a 7-Eleven ATM in Japan. The rates will be better.
i was thinking of the same thing as well. should i bring canadian over or usd?