Tags:
None
Aug 12, 2003
329 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
apvm wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 6:16 pm
For those who are looking for pocket wifi, family members used the following service during their 2 weeks trip in Kansai region with good results. LTE unlimited (50GB per month) Family members' flight arrived Kansai airport at around 3pm and did not want to risk Kansai airport's post office closing time at 5pm and had them sent to hotel instead without any problems. They had a great time in the area, next trip will be to the Toyko region and this time will include me.

http://japan-wifi-rental.net/
Seems like good pricing, compared to other services. Anyone else have a recommended service provider?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
4788 posts
118 upvotes
GoogleFish wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 9:11 pm
Seems like good pricing, compared to other services. Anyone else have a recommended service provider?
I used this provider recently and after researching against many other providers, I think their pricing is hands down the best (especially the longer you rent).

A few notes:
- My rental was for a month, but I was there for 3 weeks. I got a unit with 0GB on it, so I had 50GB for the entire duration
- Ask for delivery to airport, no problem picking it up. They include a return envelope so it's pretty easy for return. With delivery/return, I believe there's a separate charge, but it is still the cheapest
- Depending on signal strength and how much you use it, we averaged about 8-10 hours constant power on
- Signal was really good, speeds were fast enough for most type of usages. I didn't try downloading a huge file to test consistent speed, but with 3 simultaneous users streaming/browsing, it wasn't a problem
- The only time we had weak or no signal was in very remote locations, which is expected
Aug 12, 2003
329 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
TruE SkiLLS wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:11 pm
I used this provider recently and after researching against many other providers, I think their pricing is hands down the best (especially the longer you rent).

A few notes:
- My rental was for a month, but I was there for 3 weeks. I got a unit with 0GB on it, so I had 50GB for the entire duration
- Ask for delivery to airport, no problem picking it up. They include a return envelope so it's pretty easy for return. With delivery/return, I believe there's a separate charge, but it is still the cheapest
- Depending on signal strength and how much you use it, we averaged about 8-10 hours constant power on
- Signal was really good, speeds were fast enough for most type of usages. I didn't try downloading a huge file to test consistent speed, but with 3 simultaneous users streaming/browsing, it wasn't a problem
- The only time we had weak or no signal was in very remote locations, which is expected
Thanks. Only need it for it for a 4-5 day stopover. Used pupuru last time, good but seems expensive relatively. Will likely get shipped to hotel as arrival is late.

Any suggestions for some unique things to do in tokyo? Was there a couple of years ago for a week, so done a lot of initial tourist stuff.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
4788 posts
118 upvotes
GoogleFish wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:57 pm
Thanks. Only need it for it for a 4-5 day stopover. Used pupuru last time, good but seems expensive relatively. Will likely get shipped to hotel as arrival is late.

Any suggestions for some unique things to do in tokyo? Was there a couple of years ago for a week, so done a lot of initial tourist stuff.
Depends what you like to do on vacation and what you've already done.

I've been to Tokyo multiple times, but decided to try the most touristy thing recently to watch a show at Robot Restaurant and it was AWESOME. I've always felt Tokyo is only really good for shopping/food, it isn't as "fun" as Osaka or "cultured" as Kyoto.

Meiji Shrine is under renovation so there's not much to see. Tsukiji is great if you can wake up early for food. Asauka/Sensoji is super busy since it's a major temple attraction; Akihabara is filled with chinese/korean tourist buying duty free stuff (except on weekend, then you see teens out in full force)
Nov 11, 2003
369 posts
64 upvotes
GoogleFish wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 9:11 pm
my go to is https://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/
been using them for many years~ Have not ran into any issues with their pocket wifi, have traveled around Japan using them.
Aug 12, 2003
329 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
mannie511 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:09 pm
my go to is https://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/
been using them for many years~ Have not ran into any issues with their pocket wifi, have traveled around Japan using them.
Thanks, that other service japan wifi rental seems cheaper, even with delivery cost added. Hope service is comparable.
Apr 22, 2007
250 posts
37 upvotes
Markham
I just came back from Japan and used Japan Wifi Buddy with platinum plan: https://www.japanwifibuddy.com/

Pretty stable, some dead spots when in underground malls/levels, or going through tunnels in the shinkansen. Overall I think it was great, they sent it to my hotel and I just put it back in the mailbox at the airport before I left.
Nov 11, 2003
369 posts
64 upvotes
In general, you can't go wrong with most of these companies, signal will be pretty good throughout Japan (cause it's Japan!) so find one where the cost works for you.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6087 posts
908 upvotes
Mississauga
Just curious what the approx. average cost you guys spend on transportation and hotel for a two week trip to Japan?

I'm looking at a tour package - 12 days includes flights from UTO Vacations.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Oct 17, 2002
568 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Looking to book a vacation next year around March (premium economy if that makes a difference). Seeing that black friday is a few weeks away, would you wait for a deal or bite the bullet and book now. The kicker is that prices for premium economy (air canada) looked to jump up over the past weekend and havent moved back down (on expedia).

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts opinions on when to book?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
4788 posts
118 upvotes
KennyX wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 9:54 pm
Looking to book a vacation next year around March (premium economy if that makes a difference). Seeing that black friday is a few weeks away, would you wait for a deal or bite the bullet and book now. The kicker is that prices for premium economy (air canada) looked to jump up over the past weekend and havent moved back down (on expedia).

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts opinions on when to book?
Set a price expectation for cost of flight, if it hits target, buy it and forget it. Less stressful this way and you dont have to think about whether a sale occurs or if a price hike happens suddenly.
Aug 26, 2017
5 posts
I'm going the last two weeks of March and it's about $2000 for flight + hotels in Kyoto, Tokyo, and Osaka. Kyoto is exp af.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41015 posts
9911 upvotes
I just found the mother lode for Japan discussion! Perfect, just need to read the thread and give my wife some ideas.

When does it make sense to take the bullet trains and when does it make sense to take the cabs or public transportation?
Jan 13, 2004
590 posts
26 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:43 pm
I just found the mother lode for Japan discussion! Perfect, just need to read the thread and give my wife some ideas.

When does it make sense to take the bullet trains and when does it make sense to take the cabs or public transportation?
Others may think differently but IMO, this is what I find most efficient and economical.

Bullet trains - all the time. I always purchase a 1 or 2 week Japan ail pass (unlimited JR travel including bullet trains except the fastest one). Hop on and hop off, no reservation needed.
Cabs - never, very expensive.
Public transportation - all the time. I always use the JR pass if possible; if not, subway lines are just as convenient and cheap.
Nov 23, 2010
633 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:43 pm

I think of the bullet trains like via rail, its meant for long distance.

Cabs - dont need to unless your REALLY bad with directions. Otherwise subway is easy enough - though I just realized it also depends where you are in Japan

Public transportation is all the time, very convienant