Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2590 posts
690 upvotes
Montreal
oasis100 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 2:25 pm

Ramen.

Any good snack places? Besides pablo cheesetarts.

i've been to the fish market on previous trips.
Afuri in Ebisu and Kagari in Ginza for ramen.

There's a famous Dorayaki place in Asakusa called Kameju. They sell many other delicious snacks too.

If you love ice cream, make sure to have Cremia ice cream at Silkream. Best soft serve ice cream in the world :)
Oct 7, 2013
144 posts
48 upvotes
Westmount
oasis100 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 2:25 pm
Ramen.

Any good snack places? Besides pablo cheesetarts.

i've been to the fish market on previous trips.
You could try Tsuta, which was the first ramen noodle shop to earn a Michelin star
https://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/12/01/ ... -for-2017/

It was good, relatively inexpensive although not my favorite (I'll post back once I remember the name of my favorite).

If you do go, be prepared to go early in the morning to reserve a spot to eat for later in the afternoon
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2295 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
djyellow wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:45 am
You could try Tsuta, which was the first ramen noodle shop to earn a Michelin star
https://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/12/01/ ... -for-2017/

It was good, relatively inexpensive although not my favorite (I'll post back once I remember the name of my favorite).

If you do go, be prepared to go early in the morning to reserve a spot to eat for later in the afternoon
I was in Tokyo in May 2017. As for Michelin star ramen/soba, I tried Tsuta and Kyourakutei

I prefer Kyourakutei over Tsuta, however both were really good and reasonably priced!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2008
2106 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Any ideas on what debit card is best to withdraw cash/ use in Japan? (No fees etc).

Will bring some cash (but been reading better to do the exchange there, as it provides better rate).
Eat, Sleep & Breathe RFD!! :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9055 posts
1698 upvotes
Somewhere
At the main subway stations (e.g. Tokyo, Shinjuku, Kyoto), how do you know which exit to take to get to where you want to go to? I've heard those stations are hugeee.

In HK, they label the exits by letters and numbers (e.g. A3) and Google map clearly shows you where the exit is, and the signs inside the station tell you what landmarks are close by.

Is it similar in Japan?
:confused:
Nov 23, 2010
846 posts
244 upvotes
Toronto
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 4:29 pm
At the main subway stations (e.g. Tokyo, Shinjuku, Kyoto), how do you know which exit to take to get to where you want to go to? I've heard those stations are hugeee.

In HK, they label the exits by letters and numbers (e.g. A3) and Google map clearly shows you where the exit is, and the signs inside the station tell you what landmarks are close by.

Is it similar in Japan?
Nope, everyone just uses a compass!

I kid

They actually do a very decent job of labeling exits and landmarks, but of course there can still be a degree of getting lost.

When in doubt though, don't be afraid to ask someone. I found the Japanese people very friendly and willing to help.

It does help if you ca read Chinese though, as there are a number of Japanese characters that are common with Chinese (for example "exit")
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1067 posts
379 upvotes
toronto
Will be travelling through Japan in Late January (before coming back in March), and was thinking of maybe picking one spot to visit for a week, any recommendations for area with outdoors onsen?
Nov 23, 2010
846 posts
244 upvotes
Toronto
foreigncontent wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 3:28 am
Will be travelling through Japan in Late January (before coming back in March), and was thinking of maybe picking one spot to visit for a week, any recommendations for area with outdoors onsen?
I hear some good things about hakone, great views of mt fuji
Oct 17, 2002
608 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Hi all, quick question about onsens. Unfortunately I've already booked the hotels for my Japan trip, and didnt do any nights in Hakone.

I've got about a week in Tokyo, and was planning on doing 1 or 2 day trips. Any suggestions on private onsen rentals? The wife and I would like to just relax for an hour or two? I've read there might be some in Hakone, and some may even have some sort of 'combo' with a lunch? Any recommendations?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
3249 posts
204 upvotes
Hi all,

I am going to be traveling solo to Japan around the end of March to see the Sakura bloom among others. Realistically, leaving around March 24 and returning around Apr 8/9, so that's 2 weeks.
Date: Depart on Mar 29, return on Apr 15 per sakura schedule in Kansai area https://planetyze.com/en/japan/tokyo/bl ... ecast-2018

Will I be able to make it to all these cities?
1. Land in Osaka (1-2 days)
2. Kobe? (Don't know if there's enough time for this as it is out of the way)
2. Kyoto (2-3 days)
3. Nagoya (1-2 days)
4. Eastern Shizuoka, Fuji (1-2 days)
5. Hakone (looking to drive the mountain pass and possibly Fuji Speedway) (1 day?)
6. Yokohama (1 day?)
7. Tokyo (1-2 days) (depart back to Toronto)

Flight: Looking to land in Osaka Airport but there doesn't seem to be any direct international flight to Osaka. Best bet to land in Tokyo and then transfer flight to Osaka or should I do my trip in reverse? I might have to adjust the dates then??

Phone & data:
https://www.econnectjapan.com/products/sim/
Klook?
Any others worth to look at? I know I can buy some cheap sim cards in HK that works in Japan but I don't think I'll be touching down in HK for this trip...

JR/Shinkansen anyone used this site to buy before?
http://www.his-canada.com/jr/en_index.php
http://www.jtb.ca/eweb/jrpass/alljrpass.aspx
Interesting that one site is by region as well. Also of concern is since I'm taking 2 weeks, I would need the 14 day pass instead and also a pass that works in multiple regions?
Planner http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Language:So I assume pointing works? Last time I've been there people actually tried to speak Japanese with me...very awkward since I have no idea what they're talking about. Picking up the very basics shouldn't be an issue, but hope it'll be enough to get by :x
("excuse me" "here" "there" "this" "sorry" "thank you", etc)

Luggage:If I bring 2 big luggage and some carry on, would that be an issue? I read from the other thread that there's basically no place to store? How do you buy souvenirs then since a normal bag is only so big?
http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/hand ... index.html

Accomodations Toyoko-inn?
Bookings.com
expedia.ca

Its a quick post, just wanted to throw it out there first as I am short on time to plan, suspect hotel bookings are probably going to be full very soon. Will edit post along the way as I find new info.

Edit 1: edited post with formatting and revisions.
Last edited by White Comet on Jan 2nd, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11236 posts
3529 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you don't speak the language and unfamiliar with the roads there, I would not suggest driving/renting. The train system in Japan is first class and extremely efficient. If you're traveling to all those locations, the JR Pass should be the way to go. You'll need to buy the pass here as you can't get it once you're in Japan (it's for foreigners only). If you prefer to fly domestically, you can also take advantage of cheap domestic flights offered by both JAL and Ana to foreigners. You also need to book them prior to arriving in Japan so I'm not sure if you want to plan out your whole visit and buy tickets already. With the JR pass it's more flexible as you can stay in one particular city longer if you find more interesting things to do.

A decade ago, my wife and I went from Tokyo, Atami/Hakone, Kyoto, Okayama and back to Tokyo in the span of a week. All traveling using JR Pass and Shinkensen between cities. We are going back there during March Break, this time with our kids. But we won't be visiting so many cities this time as travelling with kids is not as easy as by ourselves. And this time we want to visit Okinawa which is only accessible by plane.

For accommodation, we stayed in Toyoko-Inn whenever possible. It's a chain of business hotels and their prices are quite reasonable. They should have locations in most if not all of the cities you're visiting. You can make reservations over the internet and you are not charged until the stay. I think you can cancel free of charge as long as it's more than a week before the reservation.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11236 posts
3529 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Swerny wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 8:26 am
get a JR pass and you can buy it once you land there
Sorry for the misinformation. You can get the JR pass in Japan at certain offices. I'm trying to remember whether a decade ago, whether it was available to be purchased in Japan. I remember I went downtown to get the Exchange Order prior to going to Japan.
Anyway, it's still better to get an Exchange Order here so it's paid for and makes getting the pass easier at the airport. One less thing to worry about when you get to Japan.
Jul 7, 2005
485 posts
99 upvotes
Sakura bloom at different times, Kyoto was very nice many rivers/streams flowing with pedals...I think you might have to shift your time there a week ahead; late march the nights are still cold won't be catching the viewing parties till first week-mid April.

https://planetyze.com/en/japan/tokyo/bl ... ecast-2018

I would get the rail pass here and redeem the voucher in Japan, it will be easier to communicate with the staff here at the JTB, when you reach the JR office (Narita?) redeem the voucher they will know what to do.

My first time there, learnt some the basics like "excuse me" "here" "there" "this" "sorry" "thank you" etc. and I pointed at stuff most of the time.
I've been there twice for Sakura season, this year I plan to check out the fall colours in Oct
Last edited by waitin4BOOST on Jan 3rd, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.