• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 6:42 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 22, 2010
759 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
I am planning a two week trip to Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka/Nara this fall and have the choice of going early Oct, or late Nov. Which would be the preferred time frame weather-wise?
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
travelgeek wrote: I am planning a two week trip to Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka/Nara this fall and have the choice of going early Oct, or late Nov. Which would be the preferred time frame weather-wise?
typically (depending on the region), typhoon seasons are May-Oct in Japan. You could take the chance to go in October, but late November would be a safer choice. Also, the Fall colours are better in November.

P.S. I was there in late November to early December last year and the weather/fall colours were perfect for me.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3793 posts
2617 upvotes
Montreal
travelgeek wrote: I am planning a two week trip to Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka/Nara this fall and have the choice of going early Oct, or late Nov. Which would be the preferred time frame weather-wise?
The weather is great in October, it's always around 16-20 degrees. In November it gets quite cold (8-12 degrees or so) and I personally find it silly to endure cold weather just to see better foliage.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13064 posts
3754 upvotes
I went mid-Oct and I found it quite cold already.
Nov 18, 2010
617 posts
265 upvotes
Vancouver
I am cruising around Japan in August.
I want to rent a pocket wifi to use on the ship at sea.
Does anyone know what company’s pocket wifi will work on the ship.
The ship should be sailing close to land, so I hope the pocket wifi can still get signal from the land cell towers.
I looked at GAC. They seem to be one of the bigger company in Japan for pocket wifi. Or am I wrong.
Please give me some advice on which company to go with.
Thanks.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4760 posts
383 upvotes
I am researching and finding that it is now possible to buy a prepaid sim card in Japan now without a resident address? Can anyone who has gone in the past year confirm and also provide some details to preferred carriers to get this SIM from and if it can be picked up at the airport (Haneda)?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
Lovable wrote: I am researching and finding that it is now possible to buy a prepaid sim card in Japan now without a resident address? Can anyone who has gone in the past year confirm and also provide some details to preferred carriers to get this SIM from and if it can be picked up at the airport (Haneda)?
I got my data sim card from Klook and picked it up at Haneda airport after arrivals just last May. It's data only and does not include SMS or calls. No need to have a Japanese address.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4760 posts
383 upvotes
heymikey wrote: I got my data sim card from Klook and picked it up at Haneda airport after arrivals just last May. It's data only and does not include SMS or calls. No need to have a Japanese address.
How was the activation process? Is it just plug and play or is registration required? Some providers seem to ask for a passport for activation from what I saw and required installing profiles (iPhone).
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
Lovable wrote: How was the activation process? Is it just plug and play or is registration required? Some providers seem to ask for a passport for activation from what I saw and required installing profiles (iPhone).
They asked for my passport when I picked up the SIM card. I just plugged in the SIM and entered some APN settings (which they give you). At first, it didn't work for me (couldn't get a signal) so I had to restart my phone. After that, it worked perfectly.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4760 posts
383 upvotes
heymikey wrote: They asked for my passport when I picked up the SIM card. I just plugged in the SIM and entered some APN settings (which they give you). At first, it didn't work for me (couldn't get a signal) so I had to restart my phone. After that, it worked perfectly.
Yeah APN settings won’t apply to me on an iPhone, that’s an android thing. Maybe I’ll bring my Android phone just in case. Okay, I’ll keep an eye out.

How was reception? I’ll be in Tokyo and the surrounding areas majority of time, worried about spotty reception in the suburbs. Who was the provider or MVNO?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
Lovable wrote: How was reception? I’ll be in Tokyo and the surrounding areas majority of time, worried about spotty reception in the suburbs. Who was the provider or MVNO?
I was only in Tokyo and Kamakura for that trip, but data was fast throughout. Provider was Docomo, if I remember correctly.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1474 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone know any good phrases to memorize? I was over there last christmas, and people were so nice to me but I didn't know how to respond in Japanese, made me feel like a jerk sometimes.. Like for instance someone says "dozo" when i'm entering a line and they want me to go ahead of them, I only know arigatou, so I just say that. Or someone says "gomensai" when they sit next to me, and I don't know how to respond, sometimes I just bow and smile.

Anyone over there right now? How is the heat compared to Vancouver summer? Feels like everyone exaggerates about the heat. I'm thinking about taking a quick vacation there in august if I can find a good deal.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4760 posts
383 upvotes
heymikey wrote: I was only in Tokyo and Kamakura for that trip, but data was fast throughout. Provider was Docomo, if I remember correctly.
Thanks, I haven’t been to HND in awhile, do you remember if the booth was before or after security exit?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4760 posts
383 upvotes
SquirreI wrote: Anyone know any good phrases to memorize? I was over there last christmas, and people were so nice to me but I didn't know how to respond in Japanese, made me feel like a jerk sometimes.. Like for instance someone says "dozo" when i'm entering a line and they want me to go ahead of them, I only know arigatou, so I just say that. Or someone says "gomensai" when they sit next to me, and I don't know how to respond, sometimes I just bow and smile.

Anyone over there right now? How is the heat compared to Vancouver summer? Feels like everyone exaggerates about the heat. I'm thinking about taking a quick vacation there in august if I can find a good deal.
The weather right now at this time of year is high UVs and insanely hot days, think the heatwave we recently had. It’ll be humid and busy due to peak season so you’ll be bumping arms with a lot of sweaty people. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
Lovable wrote: Thanks, I haven’t been to HND in awhile, do you remember if the booth was before or after security exit?
After security, just around the corner from the monorail entrance and keisei line entrance.
Mar 15, 2004
428 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
With the recent new law regarding Airbnb, has anyone that has gone to Japan within the last month had their reservations cancelled?

From what I've read, if they don't get their registration license number within 10 days of the rental start date, it gets automatically cancelled by Airbnb
10 days isn't a lot of time to find another place to stay whether it be another airbnb or a hotel room and the prices aren't cheap either.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1474 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
Lovable wrote: The weather right now at this time of year is high UVs and insanely hot days, think the heatwave we recently had. It’ll be humid and busy due to peak season so you’ll be bumping arms with a lot of sweaty people. :)
thanks. hmmmm... I think the heatwave wasn't that bad over here and i work a physical job. do they have AC everywhere?
Last edited by SquirreI on Jul 8th, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
SquirreI wrote: ... I think the heatwave wasn't that bad over here. do they have AC everywhere?
East coast of any continental seems to be bad for heat and humidity during the summer, be it North America, EurAsia, South America or Australia. Japan is the home of split ductless heat pumps/AC (remember the Japanese making them since the mid'70s if not earlier) - but that doesn't mean anyone has one. Hotels, shopping centres, train stations, supermarkets, etc. will have them.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
3055 posts
1665 upvotes
Japan is extremely hot and humid in the Summer and it's even hotter the further South you go. I would avoid it and only go between Fall Winter Spring.

I went in the Summer once and I just felt disgusting walking around in the heat, sweating and needing constant water and this was wearing shorts and tshirts, I don't know how people can wear suits to work, I guess they are used to it.
Nov 18, 2017
226 posts
89 upvotes
What’s a good price for a direct flight from YVR to Narita in February?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)