• Mar 18th, 2024 8:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
515 upvotes
Toronto
SquirreI wrote: lol about awkwardness... my first three times in a restaurant in tokyo, were so... disrespectful of me. i didn't really have enough knowledge of etiquette and how things are done. i think next time i'll try to find japanese friends online, maybe reddit or something, that i can treat to a dinner and maybe show me some etiquette. i facepalm so hard just thinking about how awkward i was. i'm a really nice and friendly guy, and i've worked places with zero english, whilst i only know english, so i'm no stranger to strong language barriers, but in japan i never felt more of a jerk ever because of generally how polite and disciplined the society is.

but i did have a japanese coworker before and he told me even in those situations arigatou gozaimas is suitable. even domo. but idk because i know domo is casual. but my japanese coworker said there's no problem with it. he is in his 20's though, maybe the older generation is more strict on speech than the current generation.
Most Asian cultures will forgive you if you can't speak the language. It's just something they don't expect everyone who visit to know. If you memorize some phrases, they would be very grateful. I won't worry too much about it but if you want to educate yourself in that aspect, you can even watch YouTube (alot of information there).
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3792 posts
2610 upvotes
Montreal
White Comet wrote: AC has direct flight sale to Tokyo $1285...is this a good deal or just wait?
The absolute cheapest you can expect is 650-700$ so that is a potential 600$ loss.

I don't recommend booking any ticket to Japan over 900$, direct or not.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15616 posts
13273 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
kenze wrote: The absolute cheapest you can expect is 650-700$ so that is a potential 600$ loss.

I don't recommend booking any ticket to Japan over 900$, direct or not.
Unless you really have to go.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1474 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
White Comet wrote: AC has direct flight sale to Tokyo $1285...is this a good deal or just wait?
i think it depends when the flight is, if it's in december it's an amazing deal.
Jul 22, 2017
257 posts
181 upvotes
Pingu in the city
SquirreI wrote: Thanks. How about buying something from stores, my Japanese friend said saying domo or arigatou is OK, but my other friend, who is not Japanese but has worked in Japan for years say you're not supposed to say anything when you buy things.

Also what about the people on the streets offering things, I just smile and keep walking usually, but it feels so rude.

I bought a little japanese phrasebook, but I can't remember the phrases every time I read it. And I don't know if it's correct, my friend who has worked in Japan says some of the stuff is too formal.
People on the streets offering things : Your reaction is right. Shake your head with a smile is good enough. You don't have to say a thing. Just remember to not making any eye contact with them.
And for buying stuff, it's part of their job and they usually don't expect customer to reply them too expressively, so both of your friends are right. Domo and arigatougozaimasu are both enough.
If you do it too formally, they would need more mental energy and SOP steps to react with you which sometimes make the situation slightly worse and tiresome for them.

I think the only situation where you have to reply with care is when you made some huge mistakes. (ie. Stepped on others foot on train)

Phrasebook could only help a bit in real world conversations. There are tons of places that speak Japanese in different dialects with completely different ways to say thank you. Just have fun, relax and learn as you go. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Noot Noot!❗😄
Great coffee, better mind!
Aeropress | Hario V60 | French press | Vietnamese coffee filter | Kalita narrow-mouthed pot | %
Nov 18, 2010
617 posts
265 upvotes
Vancouver
Is it better exchange rate buying yen in Canada or better rate buying in Japan ?
Also, how much cash you recommend per person (10 days)

Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
1246 posts
1197 upvotes
Ottawa
iPhoneSTER wrote: Is it better exchange rate buying yen in Canada or better rate buying in Japan ?

Thanks
I would love to know this as well! My wife and I are visiting for 9 days in Oct/Nov, currently thinking $500 CAD per person (plus credit card), just not sure where and when to convert.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1474 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
iPhoneSTER wrote: Is it better exchange rate buying yen in Canada or better rate buying in Japan ?

Thanks
SynGamer wrote: I would love to know this as well! My wife and I are visiting for 9 days in Oct/Nov, currently thinking $500 CAD per person (plus credit card), just not sure where and when to convert.
I went for about 10 days as well, and $1000 was more than enough to eat and go around, I ended buying a lot of souvenirs though, so I did have to withdraw a couple times just for security. Food is really cheap compared to Canada. I highly recommend to use your credit card wherever you can, a lot of places didn't accept cards though, I ended up with about at least 5lbs of coins going home. They rack up really quickly which is annoying. I didn't really understand but I think most of the time you should be giving the exact amount when buying something. If something is like 137 yen then that's how much you should give. I have no idea if that's correct etiquette though.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
2005 posts
691 upvotes
GTA
SquirreI wrote: I went for about 10 days as well, and $1000 was more than enough to eat and go around, I ended buying a lot of souvenirs though, so I did have to withdraw a couple times just for security. Food is really cheap compared to Canada. I highly recommend to use your credit card wherever you can, a lot of places didn't accept cards though, I ended up with about at least 5lbs of coins going home. They rack up really quickly which is annoying. I didn't really understand but I think most of the time you should be giving the exact amount when buying something. If something is like 137 yen then that's how much you should give. I have no idea if that's correct etiquette though.
I'd disagree about food being really cheap compared to Canada... Overall I think you'll find it to be on par at best. The exchange rate's not amazing but I guess that makes up for the lack of sales tax and tip. Given that, there's so many places to eat and I the floor is still pretty high for food in Japan so you could definitely go to a lot more of the fast food/chain places often and eat there quite cheap. I think that's a bit of an overrated take though as there's a lot of really GOOD food that you WILL need to pay for but is totally worth it (vacation spending lol).

Credit cards are becoming more and more accepted, especially in and around Tokyo as tourism is still booming. How much money you'll need to budget for yourself or as a couple/family really depends on your spending habits. Japan isn't cheap. If you want to buy things other than small souvenirs you'll need more money for sure. I'm of the view that the Japan is great for shopping mainly because of the variety and quality, but certainly not the price (unless you're comparing the exact same goods from Japan and trying to buy them here with crazy markups from importing). If you have a no-fx credit card, it's best to withdraw cash when you arrive in Japan from either the 7-11 (7 bank) ATMs or the post office. It's been asked a billion times before but there are other small charges (flat fees) that apply to your withdrawal so generally larger withdrawals less often are better than smaller/more often. Obviously you'll still need some cash for your arrival but I wouldn't grab more than $100 as the 7-11's are ubiquitous (at this amount or less it doesn't really matter that much where you get it).
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1474 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
malaujai wrote: I'd disagree about food being really cheap compared to Canada... Overall I think you'll find it to be on par at best. The exchange rate's not amazing but I guess that makes up for the lack of sales tax and tip. Given that, there's so many places to eat and I the floor is still pretty high for food in Japan so you could definitely go to a lot more of the fast food/chain places often and eat there quite cheap. I think that's a bit of an overrated take though as there's a lot of really GOOD food that you WILL need to pay for but is totally worth it (vacation spending lol).
I guess compared to Vancouver? lol. Minimum is like $12 tax incl. over here for like a decent meal at a fast food joint. I don't know, I found a lot of good deals in stores, but at the same time yeah I found some overpriced restaurants, mainly because of the portion, but the food still tasted like heaven. A good sized karaage + fries meal was like 530 yen in some malls. And I think it was a 1lb chicken breast ready to eat in 711 was like 230 yen. Was eating like two of those every morning lol. Really cheap 25g of protein. But yeah actually restaurants are pretty pricey there for what you get as well, outside of restaurants it's pretty cheap compared to here, i've found anyways.

But I also feel like, regarding portion, I felt full faster over there, like more satisfied, I don't know what it was, but I lost 10lb on the scale over there in just a week without even trying or feeling hungry.
Last edited by SquirreI on Jul 18th, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Nov 18, 2010
617 posts
265 upvotes
Vancouver
FYI ...

Another thread mentioned prepaying into the Home Trust Visa (No FX charge) and then use foreign ATMs to avoid cash advance interest charges.
I will do this in Japan.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
1246 posts
1197 upvotes
Ottawa
Anyone have experience with the Scotiabank Passport™  Visa Infinite* Card ?
May 3, 2011
259 posts
107 upvotes
SynGamer wrote: Anyone have experience with the Scotiabank Passport™  Visa Infinite* Card ?
I used it while i was in korea. Works fine, with no fx fee. Just make sure you update with a travel notice for the card on your account. Didnt use it in Japan though, i just used cash.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
Get a Suica or Passmo card. A lot of places accept that instead of credit card and cash. So you can avoid coins as much as possible.

Cash.. bring $500 worth of yen, but also bring your debit card, and withdraw cash from the 7-11 ATMs (they're in English) when you need it. The fee is like $2-$3 per transaction.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2204 posts
1122 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote: Cash.. bring $500 worth of yen, but also bring your debit card, and withdraw cash from the 7-11 ATMs (they're in English) when you need it. The fee is like $2-$3 per transaction.
just adding onto this. i think Captain is referring the $2-$3 per transaction cost is what 7-11 charge u. Myself and another fellow about 10 pages back or so reported that 7-11 atm now charges a 110-ish yen fee. From my experience, AEON Bank ATMs (they're pink/purple) did not charge any fee.

Your bank will charge you for whatever fee per your banking plan for using an Oversea ATM. Then there's a foreign exchange rate markup from your bank as well (typically 2.5%).

Here's a List of Canadian bank accounts for foreign ATM withdrawals
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1474 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
I would bring one of those old fashioned coin purses too. Coins add up insanely fast. I was only there for 10 days and must've acquired around 5lbs worth of coins total.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
515 upvotes
Toronto
SquirreI wrote: I would bring one of those old fashioned coin purses too. Coins add up insanely fast. I was only there for 10 days and must've acquired around 5lbs worth of coins total.
I always bring a coin purse on my trips to Japan. You get alot of coins back even though it's the custom to pay with exact change when you purchase something.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15616 posts
13273 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Use it on vending machines and gachapons!
SquirreI wrote: I would bring one of those old fashioned coin purses too. Coins add up insanely fast. I was only there for 10 days and must've acquired around 5lbs worth of coins total.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)