Travel

Japan trip in April 2018 with 3 little children?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2017 9:21 pm
Jan 30, 2008
310 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not a parent (so I am hesitant in posting this) but I have been to Japan for 5 weeks combined on 2 separate trips. I don't recall seeing many large/double strollers being used. I think you might have a difficult time given that you plan to travel all of Japan from north to south in just 30 days, which I personally think is ambitious with your group size and young kids. I would recommend decreasing the number of cities to travel at an easier pace.

I wanted to add to what temujin1 noted about bullet trains. There is storage on bullet trains but it's overhead (open shelves/racks) so at best it could handle maybe a medium size luggage and smaller. There is also some space near front/ends of train cabins and sections near entrances that people will leave their luggage but there is no guarantee it won't already be occupied. If possible, try to get a slim stroller that can fold or collapse quickly (for storage).

I noticed elevators tend to be quite small in train stations. We used elevators a few times because carrying luggage up stairs got tiring. You'll likely have to split up with your spouse, kids, stroller, and luggage and maybe make 2 trips on an elevator.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14112 posts
4575 upvotes
I agree with others that you have to accept the trip is designed around what your children want / can do and not to be disappointed if it is not at the pace you would have done pre-children. This is far and away the biggest struggle we have had - and continue to have - because we went from going on 6-10 trips a year (enough we actually bought flight passes) to none until we could start to try and accept this.

It would be foolish to think your children will behave like angels the entire trip while you spend the day out and about from 7am - 7pm walking dozens of miles on immersive walking tours. They have good and bad days, and those will possibly happen while on vacation. You have to be able to roll with it and not let it define your trip, but merely be an event on your trip.

Does this make it "worth" going on vacation? To each their own - regardless of what people tell you there is no right answer because it is a personal answer.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3623 posts
1069 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:25 pm
I agree with others that you have to accept the trip is designed around what your children want / can do and not to be disappointed if it is not at the pace you would have done pre-children. This is far and away the biggest struggle we have had - and continue to have - because we went from going on 6-10 trips a year (enough we actually bought flight passes) to none until we could start to try and accept this.
I remember those days! It gets better, our kids are 12 and 14 now, and now its them pushing us :) Its pretty awesome. I have loved travelling with our kids at any age, but man, its pretty sweet right now.

I suspect like many trips we've taken with our kids, there will be tough moments and fantastic moments. Sounds like getting from A to B might be a challenge. We hadn't planned to travel around as much as you are planning in Japan, so we didn't get the train passes before we arrived. In the end, we did hop on a bullet train for a night or two away. But for our main travel, we flew. Osaka to Tokyo using Jetstar. Prices were great. That might be something you want to consider for some of the longer hauls. I'd be tempted to rent a car from hub cities as well.
May 24, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
Most moms in Japan use baby carriers rather than strollers. I’d say “no” to double stroller but probably yes to a light weight easy fold umbrella stroller. And a baby carrier is a must.